Being held and non laying

I have some pretty friendly chickens, but they still don't like to be held. My friendliest will sit on my lap, arm or shoulder sometimes while I'm out there, but act like they are going to be killed if I try to hold them. So for your kid's, try having them sit down with treats, and gradually they may get a lap sit from some birds. And a gentle chin/wattle rub, or on the chest, usually will go over better than being petted down the back. Anything that comes in over the top of them feels predatory to them. And you may have some that just don't want to be messed with at all. All of that is assuming that your kids are old enough to not be hurt or scared by a peck, and make sure to protect the eyes. Shiny eyes are a pecking attraction as is jewelry of any kind, and anything red like nail polish.

Like @oldhenlikesdogs , I use higher protein feed for the whole flock. Growers pellets with oyster shell and mixed grit seperate. I find it more convenient as I have a lot of Cockerels (who I don't want eating all that extra calcium), but I should think the higher protein also helps the girls grow to maturity just a little quicker. Always something to consider.

I don't know about cuddly, but if you want to keep them tame, soft voices and handfuls of treats always go down well; I do have one hen who will eat out of my hand.

I am by no means an expert. My family raised birds when I was a kid (pheasants, quail, chuckers, Canada geese, ducks, turkeys, and pea fowl... Haha no chickens) but I have been away from the farm scene for a long time. This spring I got some chicks. I didn't spend as much time with them when they were younger as I would have liked and found myself with girls that like me but didn't want me to touch them. After they were out of the brooder and in the coop, I decided to try and change that. If I may, I'll offer some tips that have worked out for me as a beginner.

1. Get a call. "Chick, chick, chick!" is common. I use "Hey, pretty ladies!" It doesn't matter what it is just be consistent with the inflection. It is your "cluck." A friendly way to say hello. I say it anytime I go into the coop or run and especially when feeding, watering, or giving treats.

2. Get them to be comfortable eating out of your hand. May not be great for little kids because they can peck hand-flesh through scratch. When instructing my friends on hand feeding I tell them to keep their fingers together. Chickens love that fleshy part between your fingers! Also, use your call when feeding them. It associates your "cluck" with treats.

3. Get a stool and just sit in the run. Use your call, imitate theirs. Be patient and gentle. Feed them from your hand sometimes. Sometimes just sit there. Eventually one might fly into your lap. It's so very tempting to try and pet them right away. Don't. Just let them check you out. Use your call (Hey, pretty lady... Or whatever) and let them explore you. If one flies up to check it out and goes well, chances are another will, too. After a few of these experiences, try to pet one. Away from their face, down their back feathers. Don't try to restrain them. I learned too late that a towel over your lap is a good thing. Poop smears on my pants were inevitable, and by the time I got savvy with the towel, I had to start all over again because the towel was "new." if I could do it over I would have two identical towels, one for my lap and one to switch out when it needs to go in the laundry.

Do all my chickens like to be on my lap? Nope. They are curious and will pop up for a minute or so. Some never do. I do have two that like to hop up for a petting. If I go to hold them? No way! It is nice to pet the ones that I can. They are my favorites, of course. Goldie Hawn and Audrey Hepburn.

Like I said, I am new to this chicken thing. If I could do it over, I'd do it different but here I am with what I've got. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Kusery's advice is great re: socializing birds.

Most chickens aren't really "cuddly," though you'll find the occasional exception. I have a pullet aptly named Cuddlebug that's always been unusually friendly and you can pick her up with one hand and she'll just sit there and make a throaty clucking sound. My other pullets of the same age don't like being touched.

My hens accept being picked up even though they don't like it, but they will tolerate it, which is good enough for being able to do health checks.

Oh thank you all so much for your replies! What a lovely group!

I will definitely refer back to your messages whenever I feel I need a reminder.

Thank you all :)

Newer to this also (got my 4 girls in April as pullets), but after I noticed my girls earlobes grow out, they began laying a week or so later. I put a fake egg in each nest box to help show them their eggs are "safe" there.

As far as holding is concerned I have fed mine from a few days old and held them a lot. They all trust me and follow me around, but only one is a lap chicken. From what I've heard, lap chickens are not the norm. But my Noodle will hop up on ther chair I'm sitting on and "purr" lol.

Every chicken is different. I agree with other posters though. The easiest way to get them is in the evening off the roost for health checks. I'll occasionally leave the coop door closed in the morning too so I can check that crops are working properly (empty in the morning).

Newer to this also (got my 4 girls in April as pullets), but after I noticed my girls earlobes grow out, they began laying a week or so later. I put a fake egg in each nest box to help show them their eggs are "safe" there.

As far as holding is concerned I have fed mine from a few days old and held them a lot. They all trust me and follow me around, but only one is a lap chicken. From what I've heard, lap chickens are not the norm. But my Noodle will hop up on ther chair I'm sitting on and "purr" lol.

Every chicken is different. I agree with other posters though. The easiest way to get them is in the evening off the roost for health checks. I'll occasionally leave the coop door closed in the morning too so I can check that crops are working properly (empty in the morning).

Ahh, thank you, I hadn't considered checking their crop like that. How often would you do it?

My girls are tame. All but one can be easily held and all squat for a good scratch. Then look at you like "what! that's it!" when you stop. BUT I raised most of them from day old and handled them nearly every day. the flightiest among them are the Olive egger and brown leghorn. the rest are buddies to everyone. Barred rock, a welsummer, golden comet, easter egger and the loviest one, a salmon favarolle. The only exception is the brown leghorn she was about 20 weeks when I got her but she is still very tame considering. They will also settle down some when they start laying so don't give up just be patient. I think a lot depends on how may you have too. A small flock without roosters will be easier to handle.

once they start laying, and squatting, scratch them about the neck and under the wings but don't pick them up. Once they are used to that pick them up and feed their favorite treat. Before you know it they'll be jumping in your lap and chasing the kids in the yard. Good luck!

My chickens all like to be petted and held. When I started with them I would just sit and watch them and they eventually started jumping in my lap or sitting on chair arm. I let them check me out and eventually they would squat in my lap and let me pet them
Now I can pick them up and hold them but most of the time I just sit in run and let them come to me. They will begin to trust you and want to be near you.

Back
Top Bottom