Belgian Malines (Mechels)

Here's a video of our Malines chicks at about two months of age. They are at that awkward teenage stage and beginning to show their adult cuckoo color pattern. I recommend you use the HD setting for a better view.
Do you have any new pictures or video? I'd love to see what they look like now.

Here is a 21 week old cockerel & below is a 30 week old cockerel.

Will be gearing up for the breeding season soon. ;) These birds are a real pleasure to raise. Very docile. Harvested a 16 1/2 week cockerel back in the fall. He was 7 1/2 lbs live weight & dressed out at 5 lbs. Fed the 3 of us for 2 days & made an excellent chicken soup as well. :)
He free ranged with the flock with no special diet & remained tender & tasty. Males when raised together don't fight. I can't say enough good things about these birds. Now I know why they were the quintessential homestead bird of Belgium. I plan to raise these birds exclusively.

Beautiful breed. The single combed is a great addition to your flocks

Wish the Golden Cuckoo....Turkey headed was available, but there are breeders overseas trying to reinvent it since it appears extinct.

I have started a new thread here, if anyone is interested called, Belgian Cuckoo Malines - Next Generation.
NanaKat, I don't know how far you've gotten in trying to get the turkey head variety, but I hope there's someone in North America willing to import. Last year I thought I had someone looking into it, but looks like it may take a few more years. :/ I think these birds might fair better in regions with more extreme climates. They are said to be larger than the single combed cuckoo Malines as well. :)

Best of luck to you NanaKat. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom