Belgian Watermaal Bantams - a cousin fo d'Anvers/d'Uccles!(pic heavy)

Wow JJ, thanks for keeping this thread going on here. Your Watermaal starts are looking pretty good!
Here is one of my 2013 pairs. Quail pullet followed by a Blue Quail cockerel

Kristen, I think I saw some of your birds at the PNPA show a couple weeks back. I think I saw them in the sale area. I was almost tempted to pick some up just to have around but didn't. They're looking good!

Thanks Kristen, I really enjoy working on these even though they don't have a big fan club in this country. I think they are coming along but I am having a little trouble with the combs. I think I am going to concentrate on getting the three points (since that can DQ them) With out being too detrimental with the rest of the type. Once I get that trait set I will try to refine the type.

My favorites so far

Well, you've definitely got some potential to work with. The triple spike is tricky to set. I'm still getting odd ones that have less than the three. I need to work on a more streamlined appearance on mine with less widely spread tails. I need a slightly less cobby more graceful type. Mine look like crested d'Anvers mostly. Which...is close...but not right on the money.

Mike- those were indeed my birds. Had a pair of Watermaals in the sale area, and some d'Anvers. Seems like all of my older birds were in the middle of heavy molts and looked like porcupine derivatives! Glad you could see potential through the quills, hehe. Trying to remember, we talked didn't we? You bought some Seramas? I may be confusing you with somebody else....

Last edited:
Well, you've definitely got some potential to work with.  The triple spike is tricky to set.  I'm still getting odd ones that have less than the three.  I need to work on a more streamlined appearance on mine with less widely spread tails.  I need a slightly less cobby more graceful type.  Mine look like crested d'Anvers mostly.  Which...is close...but not right on the money.

Mike- those were indeed my birds.  Had a pair of Watermaals in the sale area, and some d'Anvers.  Seems like all of my older birds were in the middle of heavy molts and looked like porcupine derivatives!  Glad you could see potential through the quills, hehe. Trying to remember, we talked didn't we?  You bought some Seramas? I may be confusing you with somebody else....

Must have been someone else. I was wearing a black carhart jacket and I look like my profile pic. We might have seen eachother though, I had sumatras and buff wyandotte bantams

Back
Top Bottom