BenQBator

Redfarrah

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 7, 2009
Rocky Mount
This bator was made from the styrofoam used to ship a 15' benQ monitor, made it on a snow day in about 2 hours, it has taken days to get the temp right.
It's still air, with a 1/2" vent hole near the bulb and another on the opposite long side near the bottom.
Inside measurements 5"deep x 15" long x 4.5 " wide
The light socket was recycled from an old small octogon fish tank, Egg holder and water dish for humidity made from an old egg carton
The chicken wire will be replaced with some with smaller holes, this was just to get the egg positioned right for temp readings.
The cheap digital therm/hydro from wal mart.
The bulb is a 11 watt sign bulb from lowe's

Total cost $8.00 and some shipping tape.
Temperature ranges from 99-102 pretty stable for trash...
humidity 48% right now but was up to 60% after fresh warm water was added.

I want to be able to hatch 4 regular RIR/BR chicken eggs, but figured I would put 6 in it just in case.
Will there be enough room for the hatch? does anyone have a small bator close to this size they have used with success? and how many eggs did you set?

Open to suggestions on weather you think it'll work, I have plenty of time(a month or more) to make it right before lockdown
(ohh phooey I have to use windows to add pics... brb)

45451_dscf0683.jpg

45451_dscf0684.jpg

45451_dscf0682.jpg

Last edited:
Update ** Put in 3 grocery store eggs, this is day 3. Temp/humidity was fine until this morning I had a drop down to 97 early this morning
and a spike up to 105.5 for a few hours... I think they may have cooked, Nothing is stinking yet
smile.png
and I don't see anything in two of them.
the third one has a dark "bulb" in the big end.

Most store bought eggs are not fertile. You can get fertile eggs from some stores, they are marked as free range or organic. Best to get your eggs from a friend or the feed store, ynless you have hens and a roo.

good luck and watch it!!!!!!! They go up and down and are hard to keep steady. i have mine as a hatcher now and still wanna pull my hair out! Opening it to turn will fudge your humidity and temp so be prepared. Like check it every hour.....................
roll.png

I like mine better as a hatcher since i close the lid, keep the humidity in and check it every 2 hours.

Have fun! Start with some cheep eggs
wink.png

Are you using a dimmer switch? mutch easier to adjust the temp!!! Just a tip~

Quote:
Free range or organic labeled eggs are no more likely to be fertile than any other egg on the market. They are no more inclined to feed roosters than commercial producers. There are a few retailers that sell eggs labeled as fertile. The only two I know of is Whole Foods Markets and Trader Joe's.

I agree best to find someone locally that sells eggs off the farm and are in possession of a rooster.

Thanks for the advice on the grocery store eggs, these had a "organic" and "free range" on the carton,
Brought from the Aldi Mart.
I have hens and roos, maybe I'll get a fertile egg from them sometime in march or april.
This is really more of an experiment just to practice candling and other incubator skills.

But if one hatches from it then
smile.png
nothing lost... something gained

Back
Top Bottom