Best bait for a mink

Yes, Live bait is the best lure for racoons and mink. It's sad but true. Also, a fish will work, just tie it by it's tail and hang it over the spring device in your trap. Make the vermin work to get it that way they have to jump up and down on the trap trigger. Otherwise, they may be to light in weight to trigger the trap. Good luck!! I had a huge mother racoon and her nearly grown offspring getting my Call ducks. When I went out there they all ran up a tree. When I fired my gun in the general direction and fired, it started raining racoons. Must have been ten or more in that tree!! A colony of racoon, scared me as much as it did the racoons. I ran for the house!!! I've seen what they can do to a person when they attack a person, it's not pretty...and it hurts a lot!!

Perhaps a homemade box trap. Mink and weasels love to enter small holes - especially if they can smell animals inside. It is a longish box with a confined mouse inside. At the opposite end a small 1.5" hole and a size #110 or larger body trap right inside the hole and it will be killed instantly. Get the set tool and you'll appreciate it.
https://www.flemingoutdoors.com/duke-110-body-t.html

Last edited:
Yes, Live bait is the best lure for racoons and mink. It's sad but true. Also, a fish will work, just tie it by it's tail and hang it over the spring device in your trap. Make the vermin work to get it that way they have to jump up and down on the trap trigger. Otherwise, they may be to light in weight to trigger the trap. Good luck!! I had a huge mother racoon and her nearly grown offspring getting my Call ducks. When I went out there they all ran up a tree. When I fired my gun in the general direction and fired, it started raining racoons. Must have been ten or more in that tree!! A colony of racoon, scared me as much as it did the racoons. I ran for the house!!! I've seen what they can do to a person when they attack a person, it's not pretty...and it hurts a lot!!

ugh, i am sorry. A coon got into my calls this summer too, including the babies i hatched out.

Perhaps a homemade box trap. Mink and weasels love to enter small holes - especially if they can smell animals inside. It is a longish box with a confined mouse inside. At the opposite end a small 1.5" hole and a #220 body trap right inside the hole and it will be killed instantly.

Okay have to look into that, i just have a basic typical metal trap.. which i want to set tonight as i moved what is left of that flock elsewhere.

I use catfood for raccoon. They love it. First let them get used to eating it outside the trap the first few nights. Then put it inside.
Foxes love eggs. We caught them by letting them eat eggs in front of the trap and then on top of the trap a few days..then put some inside the trap. They are pretty trap shy..so if you get them used to the trap first, then they arent as spooked to go in it. Sometimes to get them hooked on the eggs, you might have to crack them a little so they figure out they like them. Raccoon like eggs too.

We dont have weasels but if we did I might try the sardines outside the trap first then inside the second or third night.

I use catfood for raccoon. They love it. First let them get used to eating it outside the trap the first few nights. Then put it inside.
Foxes love eggs. We caught them by letting them eat eggs in front of the trap and then on top of the trap a few days..then put some inside the trap. They are pretty trap shy..so if you get them used to the trap first, then they arent as spooked to go in it. Sometimes to get them hooked on the eggs, you might have to crack them a little so they figure out they like them. Raccoon like eggs too.

I was going ask about cat food now that i have tonight, we only have housecats now...

Back
Top Bottom