Best Breed of Chicken for my Daughter to show at fair??

Also adding in, depending upon what she is doing, she *could* she the EE. In showmanship, breed doesn't really matter as they aren't judging the breed to the standard. If she wants to enter the bird in the exhibition portion, she will, of course, not be able to show the EE. My friend's daughter uses a Modern Game in showmanship but enters him, along with 2 silkies in the exhibition portion.
x2 some judges are picky about non-standard breeds in showmanship- I learned, and some just let you use them. I've seen many people use EE's, but you have to hold the chicken for quite a while! There are some bantam silver laced Wyandottes, depending sometimes where you live, their rare to get from a breeder.

I have been showing in 4-H for several years now.

Have you ever considered Japanese Bantams? They are very small, we have several and they are really sweet. They are also great for showmanship...... I dont know if I would get into modern games.....especially if your daughter ever decided that she wanted to breed modern games, you would be messing with dubbing them and thats just a complete mess.

Wyandotte Bantams, Barred Rock bantams, or even a cochin bantam would be nice too.

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me the great advice! That is a relief!! She just lovers her EE!! My Barred Rock so far seems the friendliest. This gives me somewhere to start! We are new to chickens and the 4-H. We are so excited!
celebrate.gif

My sister and I have been showing in 4H for years. I give my highest recommendation to Bantam chickens in general. I LOVE Bantam Ameraucanas. They are some of my favorites. They are unusal and very sweet. Bantam Wyandottes would be a good option. Bantam Brahmas would also be a good choice. I wouldn't go anything with too many feathers on their legs because upkeep can be kind of time consuming. The more rare the bantam is the better chance of taking home a ribbon (in some cases).

My sister and I have been showing in 4H for years. I give my highest recommendation to Bantam chickens in general. I LOVE Bantam Ameraucanas. They are some of my favorites. They are unusal and very sweet. Bantam Wyandottes would be a good option. Bantam Brahmas would also be a good choice. I wouldn't go anything with too many feathers on their legs because upkeep can be kind of time consuming. The more rare the bantam is the better chance of taking home a ribbon (in some cases).
x2, I'm the only one taking Jersey Giants to shows, and goodness, Champion American, Reserve Champion American in the open 4H show, 1st place clean legged hen. LOL and then there's the popular OEG's, and I just can't beat the 5 year olds showing theirs!

Last edited:
I'm showing my D'Uccle tomorrow through 4-H and have been informed that the judges might ask you to verbally examine your bird. Does any one have a link or anything for me on how to do this. I know what I'm looking at when examining the bird but not all the diseases I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for any help.
big_smile.png

D'anvers bantamas are great. Bantams are just fun and small. Easy for a first time. RIR's usually fairly calm. But bigger chickens can be harder to hold onto, depending on age. I'm also a 4Her and have had lots of fun. Just be watchful of the flighty ones.

I'm showing my D'Uccle tomorrow through 4-H and have been informed that the judges might ask you to verbally examine your bird. Does any one have a link or anything for me on how to do this. I know what I'm looking at when examining the bird but not all the diseases I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for any help.
big_smile.png
Are you doing showmanship? Cause it sure sounds like it! Try this, good luck!

http://expeng.anr.msu.edu/sites/4h/resources/4H1520_4-HPoultryFSMG.pdf

big_smile.png

They will also ask you things specific to your bird breed. What kind of comb, any distinguishing breed features, etc. The other link you got for showmanship procedures is great too! Ive used it myself for my daughters.

Thank you very much for your tips. I think I may get her a Bantam b/c now that you mentioned it my daughter is only 7 and very little to handle a standard size chicken. I will see what I can put my hands on. I will keep you posted!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom