BEST chicken feed recipe, ever.

Linda,
Sunflower Seeds are rich in most amino acids including Methionine.

Amount per 28.35g of sunflower seeds.
Tryptophan 0.1g
-​
Threonine 0.2g
-​
Isoleucine 0.3g
-​
Leucine 0.4g
-​
Lysine 0.2g
-​
Methionine 0.1g
-​
Cystine 0.1g
-​
Phenylalanine 0.3g
-​
Tyrosine 0.2g
-​
Valine 0.3g
-​
Arginine 0.6g
-​
Histidine 0.2g
-​
Alanine 0.3g
-​
Aspartic acid 0.6g
-​
Glutamic acid 1.4g
-​
Glycine 0.4g
-​
Proline 0.3g
-​
Serine 0.3g

Thanks Chris I appreciate it. I like to know what's in what I'm feeding.

I'm new to the website, and I'm planning on raising a few hens n my backyard, (preferably RIRs). Please excuse my ignorance, but why is "soy", and or soy products frowned on when it comes to feeding chiskens?

I'm new to the website, and I'm planning on raising a few hens n my backyard, (preferably RIRs). Please excuse my ignorance, but why is "soy", and or soy products frowned on when it comes to feeding chiskens?

Hey the57spoons.
welcome-byc.gif
Grand to have you. A lot if not most of the people on here are very leary of GMO. Genetic Modified Organisms. Almost all of soy is GMO's If you're interested in this google GMO's pros and cons. It will get you both sides. Where are you from. I'm outside of Shreveport,La. Hot and sultry each and every day. It does get a little cold in winter. Maybe as low as 17 or so a couple of times of the year. Do you have a lot of snow? I'm interested in the Basque chickens. They are good for the cold or heat, coming from Spain. Love them. I only have one right now. Another interest of mine is the German New Hampshires. They grow bigger and faster than the RIR. Only heresay on this. I've had chickens for about 4.5 months but I've been researching for almost a year. Love BYC. There is always an answer to any question.

I would like to replace the corn in the recipe with something else. Also, is this good for 18 week old chickens that will soon be laying eggs? Thank you.

THIS IS OFF THE SUBJECT BUT I AM CURIOUS ABOUT AK. DO YOU REALLY LIVE THERE AND HOW DO YOU LIKE IT? I WANT TO GET OUT OF HERE SO BADLY AND DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHERE TO GO.
UNLESS GOD CHANGES THINGS, WE WILL HAVE TROUBLE SO MUCH, I DO NOT WANT TO BE HERE.

I just want to thank Greener Pastures for this chicken feed recipe.

I had been feeding them commercial layer feed and treats. The first eggs didn't taste that good - they looked great, but their taste wasn't kinda gross. So, I bought all of the whole grains from the recipe below and have mixed up a small batch. The girls love it AND their eggs taste completely different and SO much better. It's a completely different egg. (My hens also free range during the day.) I am more convinced now than ever that you are what you eat!

The grains are a little expensive, but you can order them in bulk, and it's completely worth the expense. DELICIOUS.

RECIPE BELOW:
http://www.greenerpasturesfarm.com/ChickenFeedRecipe.html

"Ronda's Whole Grain Chicken Feed Recipe

That said, here is the recipe that I devised in '99 and have been improving with additions, but using the ingredients in more or less the same ratio since 1999. Note that all items are whole grains, and certified organic. If you are looking for the cheapest feed, this isn't it. If you are looking for a healthy, natural feed for your flock, this is one way to go!

*** It's not necessary to follow this recipe exactly... just make sure your birds are getting enough protein, which is predominant in the hard red wheat and the legumes. Free-range birds usually find plenty of protein from bugs, etc.

2 parts whole corn (in winter this is increased to 3 or 4 parts)
3 parts soft white wheat
3 parts hard red winter wheat
1 part hulled barley
1 part oat groats
1 part sunflower seeds (in winter this is increased to 2 parts)
1 part millet
1 part kamut
1 part amaranth seeds
1 part split peas
1 part lentils
1 part quinoa
1 part sesame seeds
1/2 part flax seeds
1/2 part kelp granules
free choice of granite grit
free choice of oyster shell"

Can you tell me please if you grind all this together, or just mix the whole grains together and feed it that way? I am currently feeding Layena pellets and crumbles but am interested in doing my own feed so I know what is in it. Layena claims all plant byproducts but does not say anywhere what plants.

Back
Top Bottom