Best coop for 2-3 chickens?

Scareab

Songster
Dec 13, 2019
Dallas Texas
Hello!
I’m now in the process of ordering or making a coop. I’m only going to have 2-3 chickens and all of them will be free range. (We have a large field in the back that has plenty of bug yummies for them) So we want a safe coop in the backyard for them to sleep well and protected.
The things on our list for ideal coops are:
- a drop floor
- two-three nesting boxes
- a run
- a place to put food and water so they access it for 24/7

If I’m missing anything please let me know or something I should look out for.
I have two structures which seem ideal but Im open to changes and more info on chicken care. I just want whats best for my chickens! :)

Attachments

• F4814FBD-00B8-4A28-A2E2-E5F14952AF7F.jpeg
    F4814FBD-00B8-4A28-A2E2-E5F14952AF7F.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 26
  • B8E99D30-F7F7-4676-BEAD-44CEE68EAFFD.jpeg
    B8E99D30-F7F7-4676-BEAD-44CEE68EAFFD.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 15
The best thing for 2-3 chickens is a coop and run big enough for 10 chickens.

That probably seems snide and unhelpful but I'm serious. I started out with 3 chickens too. And I'm sure most folks here will tell you a similar story.

OK. That established, the next thing you need is a thoroughly predator-proof coop and enclosure. Particularly if you plan to free range. Every predator in the area will be aware of your flock and waiting for their opportunity. It will probably come at night when you're unaware and the hens are most unprepared to defend themselves.

What this means is sturdy materials rather than the materials that 90% of prefab coops are built from. It also means an enclosure of hardware cloth that's either dug in 12" or splayed out in an apron around the enclosure 12" wide and secured with heavy stones or stakes or something to hold it in place. This prevents digging attacks. Also make sure you have back up on the latches of all your openings. I use carabiner clips. There are also hook and eye closures that have spring-loaded stops that prevent a smart creature like a raccoon from letting themselves inside.

If you're in Dallas I assume you won't need to plan for cold or high winds. What you want to plan for is lots of shade and ventilation. You can site your coop in a shady spot or you can plan for wide overhangs on the roof. Don't forget lots of open spaces for airflow BUT secure them with hardware cloth fixed in place with screws and washers. Just consider your weather and what protections your birds will need.

A secure shed or storage area in close proximity is also a wonderful thing to have to keep bedding, feed and other supplies dry and inaccessible to field creatures.

Hello!
I’m now in the process of ordering or making a coop. I’m only going to have 2-3 chickens and all of them will be free range. (We have a large field in the back that has plenty of bug yummies for them) So we want a safe coop in the backyard for them to sleep well and protected.
The things on our list for ideal coops are:
- a drop floor
- two-three nesting boxes
- a run
- a place to put food and water so they access it for 24/7

If I’m missing anything please let me know or something I should look out for.
I have two structures which seem ideal but Im open to changes and more info on chicken care. I just want whats best for my chickens! :)
I'm not sure what you mean by a drop floor.
You only need one nest box for 4-5 birds. I had 2 for 10 hens with no issues.
Make your run as large as possible.
Your birds only need food and water available during waking hours.
I agree with @IamRainey that you should ensure lots of ventilation in your coop as well as proper predator protection. IMO, the easiest thing to do is convert an old shed into a coop. Being able to walk in the coop to access the birds and clean is a huge advantage.
You could partition a small shed where one area would be the coop and the other storage.
Attaching a run that is as predator proof as the coop is another major asset as you would not have to worry about them being stuck in the coop every morning waiting for you to release them and the water and feed could be kept in the run.

Iamrainy gave a lot of good advices.

A few more suggestions:
  • 1 nestbox is enough for 3 hens.
  • Buy or even better make a coop with a (small) safe run where the chickens can go to when they are awake and you are still sleeping.
  • If you buy a coop you always gave to make some adjustments to make it better /right. A playhouse or small shed is often better to use for a start.
  • Make one side (fresh winds) with hardware cloth that you can close in winter and make ventilation as high as possible.
  • Make sure it doesn't rain into the coop.
P.s.same time as Dobielover

Assuming you plan on sticking to no more than 3 birds total, strictly in coop space you want to aim for at least 12 sq ft not including nest boxes (which you only need 1 of) or space taken up by feeders/waterers. If free ranging is going to be the default the run space can be more minimal but 30 sq ft would be minimum there (too small IMO, even for occasional use).

No idea what the measurements are on the coops you posted, my guess is they're smaller than that in both coop and run. Also don't know what a drop floor is or what it is about that that is essential for you.

If you make the coop big enough and/or the run secure enough, food and water can be left out 24/7, though I'd recommend having an option to be able to remove or store the feeder at night as 1) the birds won't be eating once they're on the roost and 2) feed attracts pests.

BIGGER the better ... It's been recommended minimum is 4sq ft per chicken in the coop and 10 sq ft per in the run. Free ranging works but it's best to be prepared (weather). A converted storage shed would be more room & you could add your poop board, nest boxed, roosts ... Another idea chain link kennel ... Alot more cost effective & durable than the prefabs.

Back
Top Bottom