Best dog breed to keep an eye on my Motley flock?

Feb 8, 2018
Wildomar, CA
Hi guys, not sure this is the right board but here we go:

8 birds (5 light brahmas, 2 rhodies, 1 dutch bantam rooster)... we're in pet mode here lol.. my 5yo named 'em (so can't eat 'em) :)

Now looking to adopt dog, I can't afford any drama with the chicks.. what would be the best breed I could trust around those mini dinosaurs? We have 2 acres here in SoCal and the pup would be outside pretty much full time and the chicks are used to roam around the property...

This is a great thread but goes back a little, sounds like Bulls/terrieres are pretty sweet. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/best-dog-breed-around-chickens.42342/

Thank you guys as usually. Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 10.32.59 PM.png

Hands down a Rottweiler or Rottweiler mix (personality swaying towards Rottie). I have a Black Lab/Rottie Mix that I adopted BEFORE the farm... i got him from the SPCA and if I could clone him I would! Absolutely fabulous around baby animals, even pigs. Doesn’t bark all day and night like a LGD, but displays guarding behaviors, including laying under the coop and keeping an eye on the open door if I get home late. If you want to see pictures and read more about them, search Bolles Rottweiler. They are a breeder here in the Midwest that raises Rotties with livestock.

Hands down a Rottweiler or Rottweiler mix (personality swaying towards Rottie). I have a Black Lab/Rottie Mix that I adopted BEFORE the farm... i got him from the SPCA and if I could clone him I would! Absolutely fabulous around baby animals, even pigs. Doesn’t bark all day and night like a LGD, but displays guarding behaviors, including laying under the coop and keeping an eye on the open door if I get home late. If you want to see pictures and read more about them, search Bolles Rottweiler. They are a breeder here in the Midwest that raises Rotties with livestock.

wow, how funny.. Rott was my first go-to but wasn't sure. I had a sweet guy who passed about 10 years ago; Brutus, 135lb but 'great manners' lol... anyone with a pulse willing to give him a belly rub was his new "best friend"... but didn't have any chicks at the time, so good to know!

Wife won't be happy but my mind is kinda set :)... know how you feel about cloning... lol crossed my mind so many times :) Pimp In Peace Brutus!!! :)

I have a cocker spaniel, they’re expensive dogs and they are used for hunting but if you get it as a pup, it will get used to your flock

One day I had a family of foxes coming up the lane and I ran outside because I knew theyd go for the chickens, but when I got to the coop the cocker spaniel was with the chickens, all the chickens were behind him. So proud of my little cooper!

The foxes haven’t came near the yard since but they’d snatch a wandering duck or goose as they like to explore a bit more than chickens

Would Rottweilers not be dangerous around your kids ?
I usually stick with the medium sized dogs and it always works
My neighbor has a German Shepherd and the fox is always passing through his yard. I dunno it’s just my opinion since you have a child, if you are getting a Rottweiler, get it as a pup !

Back
Top Bottom