Best Easiest Way to Expand This Coop

JoieD

Songster
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
Marysville, Ohio
We purchased this coop several years ago. We built a platform and then slid the coop off the truck on to it. The first pictures are of the coop shortly after we got it and the 4th is the following summer. I do have real steps now! It currently contains 7 chickens and you guessed it, I want more. Maybe 15 eventually. The run is built off to the right, so I'm thinking expansion should be on the left side. The interior pic is of the left side.I did add insulation and covered with board on inside, but nest boxes and board should be easy enough to take down. Any Ideas? Thank You!

200x200px-ZC-ee8b4a1f_100_2925.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-23fd9c93_100_2929.jpeg

200x200px-ZC-07feb1d6_100_2924.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-10872fb2_P8100078.jpeg

This is just what has worked for me: I find that my chickens prefer the most outside space possible. They will sort it out and cram in the coop at night or in bad weather. If it were me I'd attach a 6'x12' chain link dog run to the other side. That gives you 72 square feet of run around space.

I was hoping to add more run space. They now have on the right 10x8 feet plus the 4x8 under the coop. They also have the run of the side yard about a quarter acre as you can tell by the state of my grass. That is a thought especially if I covered or enclosed it. Thanks.

Considering the slope of the roof, I don't see an easy way to expand that, not without modifying the roof. You could either completely remove half the roof, expand, and then rebuild the roof at a shallower slope, or if you are skilled, maybe a gable.
I agree with Skunk, you will be better served by expanding the run. That coop could likely hold 15 hens at night, as long as there is sufficient roost.

Do you think it would work to attach a box like structure the length of the coop on the left?. Kind of an egg laying box, built out from the side about 3 feet. If that would be too wide, maybe extra support with post or extend the platform, This would give a little more floor space. Tilted roof that raises. I don't know, I am ignorant when it comes to this. By the way the coop is 4x8.

With the roof, it would be easiest to just extend it front or back...or put on a shorter addition, like an exterior nest box.

The only problem with doing the shorter addition, is that EVERYONE will want the highest perches. This might lead to fights and pecking.

The exceptions to this is if you have some high flying breeds that go to the highest perches, and some heavy breeds that just can't fly as high, and so stay on the lower perch.

Brahmas and Marans like lower perches. I think Wyandottes like lower perches too, but it had been awhile since I had any. My leghorns, Golden Comets, Rhode Island Reds and my bantams, like it high.

Right now, I have staggered perches, flying spots, so it is easier for the heavies to get up to the highest perches. They have to fly two feet then three feet to get to the tallest perch. I will look tonight and see if my Marans made it all the way up (I know my Marans rooster will not fly all the way up). What surprises me, is that my fluffy Cochins do go all the way up.

I think you are on to something. Right now my chickens roost across the back of the coop and forward up the left side a little. kind of a |¯¯ shape. I have built a board with sides under them filled with PDZ. If I built an exterior 8 ft long nesting box along the left side, I could extend the roost down the top left wall along with the litter box leaving more floor space below. I need to find instructions for building the long exterior nest box. I can always expand the run on the right side of the coop. More of a plan than I had.

Nest boxes don't need to be very deep, only about 12 to 16". Having a hinged roof is easy to do, and a good idea.
For support, what you will want to do is to attach next box dividers to the sides of the studs, and suspend the bottom from that. I picture a trapezoidal cross section of the box, maybe 16" along the bottom, 12" high at the outside, and 18" or so where the box meets the coop; each of the box dividers will be cut to match the two outsides of the box, so a series of these trapezoids. You'll also have a long bottom piece, and an outside edge 12" high. The top can have hinges attached to the coop for easy access. PM me if you need more/better instructions.
I have almost 20 years of carpentry experience.

Back
Top Bottom