Best heavy weight non-tip bowl

Cg1979

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2022
I want to start fermenting my chicken's food, and I need to know what kind of bowl/feeding trough I can use that the chickens won't knock over. I bought one of those rubber feed bowls at the farm store and the smell is terrible: I don't want to use it for my girls because the smell gives me a headache and I know that birds have sensitive respiratory systems. What kind of heavy, non-breakable dish can I use in the run?

I want to start fermenting my chicken's food, and I need to know what kind of bowl/feeding trough I can use that the chickens won't knock over. I bought one of those rubber feed bowls at the farm store and the smell is terrible: I don't want to use it for my girls because the smell gives me a headache and I know that birds have sensitive respiratory systems. What kind of heavy, non-breakable dish can I use in the run?
I use rubber pans. When you first buy them yes, they do smell, but mine are well used and do not stink. Maybe leave the pan out in the weather in fresh air for a day or two.

Can you use a galvanized or steel pan? Same size/style but won't have the yucky chemical smell. If they do find a way to tip it over, I would add a brick or something heavy to the middle. 🤷‍♀️
The smell can and will go away. Its a process called "gassing out" and leaving it out in the sun/fresh air will speed up the process.

I use rubber pans. When you first buy them yes, they do smell, but mine are well used and do not stink. Maybe leave the pan out in the weather in fresh air for a day or two.
Thank you! Yesterday I filled the bowl with a mixture of vinegar, washing soda, dish soap, and water and placed it outside. It's outside now, so far no real reduction in smell but I'll keep it out there and see what happens.

Can you use a galvanized or steel pan? Same size/style but won't have the yucky chemical smell. If they do find a way to tip it over, I would add a brick or something heavy to the middle. 🤷‍♀️
The smell can and will go away. Its a process called "gassing out" and leaving it out in the sun/fresh air will speed up the process.
I was thinking of a weighted steel bowl; the only one I've seen on Amazon has a silicone bottom and I think my girls are likely to peck at it. I agree steel would be a good option; hadn't thought of adding a brick or the like. Thank you.

I was thinking of a weighted steel bowl; the only one I've seen on Amazon has a silicone bottom and I think my girls are likely to peck at it. I agree steel would be a good option; hadn't thought of adding a brick or the like. Thank you.
Yeah a clean rock or brick would work super well and it gives them something to do to pick and peck around/under depending on the shape of it.

The acidity of FF leaches zinc (IIRC), and metal should not be used.

FF is over rated as full time feed according to my long term experience, but fantastic as a treat or enrichment.

When I did FF, I used plastic rain gutter sitting inside the U of cinder blocks (or hanging by string from the roof). It worked well.

Stick to non metal stuff!

FF is over rated as full time feed according to my long term experience, but fantastic as a treat or enrichment.

When I did FF, I used plastic rain gutter sitting inside the U of cinder blocks (or hanging by string from the roof). It worked well.

Thank you!! Good to know about the leaching!!! When I ferment things for us to eat, I always use glass. I don't know why I hadn't thought of the leaching here.

I am not currently feeding pellets, but scratch and peck brand grower blend (my girls are only a few months old, not yet ready for layer feed,) and the company recommends fermenting their feeds, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Thanks for the info, I did not know this!

Back
Top Bottom