Best remedies and supportive care for pasty butt?

What is the heat source you're using? Pasty butt can worsen in warmer temperatures.

The Nutri-Drench overall is a good idea especially since she's lethargic, so I'd keep that up. If she's not drinking well on her own then you may need to direct dose her with a few drops a day.

What is the heat source you're using? Pasty butt can worsen in warmer temperatures.

The Nutri-Drench overall is a good idea especially since she's lethargic, so I'd keep that up. If she's not drinking well on her own then you may need to direct dose her with a few drops a day.

She looks a bit better yesterday and today. Still quiet, but not lethargic. She is eating and drinking, seems a normal amount with the other chicks. Still has pasty butt, although its better than it was (it was A LOT, so now I would consider it an "average" case of pasty butt).

I use a heat lamp, but rather than a heat bulb, I use a ceramic heat emitter like what reptile keepers use, so that they don't have constant light in the pen. I think its 100 watts - so its a nice 95 degrees directly under it, with a good sized circle around that stays 85-90F. The brooder is in the basement, so no drafts and the room temperature is 65 or so, so they don't chill too fast. The brooder is large enough that there's plenty of room to get away from the heat.

She looks a bit better yesterday and today. Still quiet, but not lethargic. She is eating and drinking, seems a normal amount with the other chicks. Still has pasty butt, although its better than it was (it was A LOT, so now I would consider it an "average" case of pasty butt).

I use a heat lamp, but rather than a heat bulb, I use a ceramic heat emitter like what reptile keepers use, so that they don't have constant light in the pen. I think its 100 watts - so its a nice 95 degrees directly under it, with a good sized circle around that stays 85-90F. The brooder is in the basement, so no drafts and the room temperature is 65 or so, so they don't chill too fast. The brooder is large enough that there's plenty of room to get away from the heat.
Wow, I like the heat emitter idea!

I have a heat rock that I switch to when I can and a couple of different heat bulbs. (One at 250w, and one at 150w)....

I might very well look into the heat emitter!

Wow, I like the heat emitter idea!

I have a heat rock that I switch to when I can and a couple of different heat bulbs. (One at 250w, and one at 150w)....

I might very well look into the heat emitter!
The heat emitter has been great. For one, most heat lamps are just too big for a little brooder. I like the idea of the little heat pads that chicks hide under, but they are rather pricey. This is a much cheaper alternative that accomplishes the same purpose. The heat emitter also allows the chicks to get used to normal day/night cycle.

Raw honey and apple cider vinegar for her water. (2 tbsp/gal for each) the acv is specifically for the probiotics.

I hair dry them until they are dry, as opposed to patting dry with a paper towel. I think it dry them faster, and so is better (but that's me)

What are you feeding her?
How much honey In the water?

Back
Top Bottom