Best Tasting Chicken Breed

Quote:
You are in an extreme environment. You live in the desert. There are a lot of predators. There is no forage. You use round-up and kill all the plant life except a few things that are not plants used by chickens as food. You have to keep your birds confined. Your feed costs are higher than in many other areas. From what you have said, evidently you've had disease problems. To you, it makes sense to either buy store bought or raise the short-crop time meat birds. You don't care about organic issues, or many other factors that are some people, including me, do care about.

I can't speak for everybody else, but I can tell you my situation.

I live in a very green place. There is a lot of forage, tons of vegetation, and with very rare exceptions, I don't use pesticides or herbicides. The exceptions are ivermectin once a year during molt to prevent rampant mite infestation, also heartworm prevention for my dogs, and neem, a natural herb used for the prevention and treatment of a variety of problems, and for pest control. It's safe for birds and mammals, in fact you can drink neem leaf tea, with many benefits and no ill effects at all. (That is, if you can stand the taste, I prefer to use it in capsule form.) My birds free range, I seldom lose one to a predator. I almost never have a disease problem.

I keep layers year round. I have an incubator, and if I choose, I can hatch fertile eggs from my hens anytime, but usually only do so during warm weather. It costs very little to run my incubator for 21 days. I forget exactly how much, but we figured it up not long ago, the cost was minuscule. I also have a great many hens who are good brooders. they incubate the eggs for free, and raise the chicks for me.

My feed costs are low compared to many other locations. I feed them for 14 weeks, or even 20 weeks. During that time, they eat a great many bugs and weed seeds. The feed consumed by my dual purps before butchering is similar to the amount your C X's would eat, they just don't eat it as fast. Then the excess roos go into the freezer, I may keep pullets for laying hens, or sell my extras.

You've often stated that time is money, but if one isn't selling the meat commercially, and nobody is paying for your time anyway, that doesn't apply. I'm not getting paid whether I raise Cornish X or dual purpose.

So I prefer to raise strong, healthy birds, that are capable of reproducing, and I prefer to eat chicken that has been raised free-range, on my own farm, with no herbicide or pesticide exposure. They're safe, they're healthy, they taste good, they are sustainable, and they are my choice.
You prefer something else. That is your choice. I wish you happiness with your choice.

Yup, we have extreames in temperatures. It has been 17* in the winter to 117* in the summer in the last couple of years. Nope , not the desert, only the high desert... the dry land of coyotes and tumbleweeds and dry heat and little rainfall. The last time I checked, a goodly portion of the lands West of the Mississippi and the Pacific Ocean is similar to mine. I wish I had the pleasures of green grass year round. But alas, I digress. Yup, oodles of coyotes, coydogs, bobcats, cougars, racoons, skunks, hawks, eagles, ravens, crows, dumped dogs etc. Yup and nope, we do have lots of native grasses ( 6 to 12 inches tall) in our pastures from Dec, through May, then dead and dormant brown grass residue the rest of the year. Just enough grass in the winter to feed my 33 head of horses for half of the year. Yup, I use Roundup to kill all grass and weeds on the 2 acres around the house due to the fact that the wells in our area produce on average 4 galons of water a minute. The little water that we have, we tend to use for household use, water for the horses and chickens, then drip irrigate my 72 redwood trees and a few dozen junipers, I also drip irrigate my almost ORGANIC garden. Yup, I find it prudent to raise my chickens in confinement due to the oodles of predators( see above). Yup, all of my feed costs are very high due to the long distance transportation costs.First to the feed store/ feed mill , then to my ranch. I buy about100 tons of alfalfa hay annually for the horses. Nope , I don't have desease problems, I have the advantage to have a father , who was a Veterinarian [ he also thaught Freshman Anatomy at a Veterinary school], and I worked at the same Veterinary school , Pathology Department whith Vet. PhDs. , Vet PhD candidates, Senior Vet. students. as well as private laboratory. We also ahve 7 very bury large animal Vets in our area. My Equine Vet comes to my ranch ( well eequiped equine reproduction facility) on a busy schedual. I hope that at least a wee bit of that knowledge rubbed off on me. Also my birds are fairly isolated, and have a short but healthy lifespan due to invites to freezercamp. The housing is then vacated for 5-6 months. So they have very little chance of getting any desease or parasites unlike what they may pick up if allowed to roam willy nilly. They are very healthy, thrifty, vigorous and happy and after they are invited for dinner are very tastey and tender. Yup, at least for me, it does make a huge sense to raise a short crop of meat chicken. Yup, I do care about environmental issues. My property was originally an open range land and was never farmed, so no chemicals or fertilizers were ever used on it. I recycle, have my own nearly organic garden... we only have about an inch or two of topsoil then 6 inches of hardpan. So, to have a garden, I use at least 6 inches of my own horses' manure and mix in the chicken manure annually in my garden. I mulch around all of my trees, shrubs and pastures with tons of horse manure. 100 tons of alfalfa+ 50 tons of grain + pasture grass have to go somewhere. You see I learned from my then 4 year old grandson while he and I were on poop poop detail. We clean out the poop poop from the stalls, take it out to the pastures and spread it out,( he gets to ride in the wheelbarrow) then it fecomes fertilizer, which makes the grass grow, so that the horses can eat the grass, then the horse makes more poop poop, then we take it out to the pastures and it becomes more fertilizer to make more grass. He learned about the Nitrogen cycle on his own. From the mouths of babes comes wisdom! I drip irrigate everything to conserve water. The pastures are watered by the big sprinkler in the sky. I also care to leave moral and ethical values to my kids and grandkids as well as a safe environment. Oh, by the way... in addition to enjoying my own homegrown Bar-B-Qe'd chicken marketing horses, and breeding and AI services, I market certified ORGANIC, certified KOSHER and certified HALAL products. I hope that everyone could enjoy chickens running around green grass chasing bugs. Makes me envious. Enjoy !!!

This is an interesting thread. I can not speak at all to the chicken issues since I just wandered over to this area because I am going to butcher my first two chickens tomorrow.

What I wanted to speak to was the heirloom tomatoes. You do not need to plant the tomatoes far apart to get pure seed. First off tomatoes are generally self pollinating. This means for most heirloom varieties of tomatoes many of the seed will breed true anyway. To be sure to get pure seed you can bag the flowers before they open. Tie some sheer fabric with a draw string over the flower buds from before they open until after the little baby tomatoes form. Then take the fabric off and put a colored ribbon or some other label so you don't forget which seeds to save. This works with various types of other veggies as well if they can self pollinate. Not for things like squash though, those you need to hand pollinate with the male and female flowers.

I find that my hot peppers breed true like weeds but I have great difficulty with other types of peppers.

weavagarden!
frow.gif

I meant to say in my last post that I am certainly with you in wanting an Organic / Sustainable Section to this forum as it is of great importance to me. Here in the UK it is a huge movement now, but I prefer the attitude & friendliness (mostly as there are some exceptions here too) of BYC, TEG & SS rather than the predominantly male-dominated & quarrelsome UK forums -- there is too much competition there & not enough humour! WE Brits can be very po-faced at times.....!!
barnie.gif

Hope you are all having a good weekend!

Hattie

I think a organic/sustainable category would be great!! Has anyone gone to see the new documentary Food Inc. with Michael Pollan and Joel Salatin yet? If not, this website has details about where its playing, www.foodincmovie.com. I just saw it two days ago, it is incredible! It really amazes me how many people are becoming aware and making changes in their diet and lifestyle, we are included. Just yesterday we took our first 20 meat ducks (well, drakes) to the butcher, its taken us over 4yrs of raising our Anconas... and they look tasty! Now Im ready to grow some meat chickens!! Does anyone have any good recommendations for a heritage/dual purpose meaty chicken? I find it very interesting that the different breeds produce meat that has different textures, it makes sence completely! We are mainly looking at the Buckeye and Delaware chickens so far. They would be completely free ranging on grass pasture so I want good foraging capability, we are in Oregon where the weather gets cold but mainly wet. I want a bird that is hardy and healthy, has no problems with fertility or hatching (we use an incubator). By the way, I dont know much about chickens at all, we raise ducks. We will be attending a "field day" with Joel Salatin at a local farm early next month and I am adding a question about CornishX and heritage breeds to my list, I will update with his response if I get it.
By the way, cherry tomatoes dont cross very easily at all and even big tomatoes only need 10ft apart to completely ensure they dont cross making them very easy to save seed from. We have over 50 different rare heirloom tomato varieties this year on 2 acres, over 1000 tomato plants which we will save seed from this year, we will have many pictures on our website, BoondockersNaturals.com. It is motivating to hear others talk about organic sustainability and genetic diversity with as much passion!

Hey Boondocks. I just noticed yesterday that they don't have anybody listed as doing the Breed page of the Anconas. Sounds like you have some experience with those. I don't know what the requirements are, but if you have time, you might want to check to see if you could do it.

I would love to do a page, but I am too much of a novice to be able to do the job that it deserves.

Glad to hear that the drakes didn't scare you off. I thought I might try a few of them sometime to see. Or maybe Geese first. We like dark meat mostly in our family, so that might influence our decision.

What breed did you do?

Also nice to hear about the movie. I will check that out.

Update: Just saw the trailer. Looks good. Easier to sit through than the many many hours of the Omnivore's Dilemma on tape. But I still think that is worth your time too.

Last edited:
Quote:
You are in an extreme environment. You live in the desert. There are a lot of predators. There is no forage. You use round-up and kill all the plant life except a few things that are not plants used by chickens as food. You have to keep your birds confined. Your feed costs are higher than in many other areas. From what you have said, evidently you've had disease problems. To you, it makes sense to either buy store bought or raise the short-crop time meat birds. You don't care about organic issues, or many other factors that are some people, including me, do care about.

I can't speak for everybody else, but I can tell you my situation.

I live in a very green place. There is a lot of forage, tons of vegetation, and with very rare exceptions, I don't use pesticides or herbicides. The exceptions are ivermectin once a year during molt to prevent rampant mite infestation, also heartworm prevention for my dogs, and neem, a natural herb used for the prevention and treatment of a variety of problems, and for pest control. It's safe for birds and mammals, in fact you can drink neem leaf tea, with many benefits and no ill effects at all. (That is, if you can stand the taste, I prefer to use it in capsule form.) My birds free range, I seldom lose one to a predator. I almost never have a disease problem.

I keep layers year round. I have an incubator, and if I choose, I can hatch fertile eggs from my hens anytime, but usually only do so during warm weather. It costs very little to run my incubator for 21 days. I forget exactly how much, but we figured it up not long ago, the cost was minuscule. I also have a great many hens who are good brooders. they incubate the eggs for free, and raise the chicks for me.

My feed costs are low compared to many other locations. I feed them for 14 weeks, or even 20 weeks. During that time, they eat a great many bugs and weed seeds. The feed consumed by my dual purps before butchering is similar to the amount your C X's would eat, they just don't eat it as fast. Then the excess roos go into the freezer, I may keep pullets for laying hens, or sell my extras.

You've often stated that time is money, but if one isn't selling the meat commercially, and nobody is paying for your time anyway, that doesn't apply. I'm not getting paid whether I raise Cornish X or dual purpose.

So I prefer to raise strong, healthy birds, that are capable of reproducing, and I prefer to eat chicken that has been raised free-range, on my own farm, with no herbicide or pesticide exposure. They're safe, they're healthy, they taste good, they are sustainable, and they are my choice.
You prefer something else. That is your choice. I wish you happiness with your choice.

Yup, we have extreames in temperatures. It has been 17* in the winter to 117* in the summer in the last couple of years. Nope , not the desert, only the high desert... the dry land of coyotes and tumbleweeds and dry heat and little rainfall. The last time I checked, a goodly portion of the lands West of the Mississippi and the Pacific Ocean is similar to mine. I wish I had the pleasures of green grass year round. But alas, I digress. Yup, oodles of coyotes, coydogs, bobcats, cougars, racoons, skunks, hawks, eagles, ravens, crows, dumped dogs etc. Yup and nope, we do have lots of native grasses ( 6 to 12 inches tall) in our pastures from Dec, through May, then dead and dormant brown grass residue the rest of the year. Just enough grass in the winter to feed my 33 head of horses for half of the year. Yup, I use Roundup to kill all grass and weeds on the 2 acres around the house due to the fact that the wells in our area produce on average 4 galons of water a minute. The little water that we have, we tend to use for household use, water for the horses and chickens, then drip irrigate my 72 redwood trees and a few dozen junipers, I also drip irrigate my almost ORGANIC garden. Yup, I find it prudent to raise my chickens in confinement due to the oodles of predators( see above). Yup, all of my feed costs are very high due to the long distance transportation costs.First to the feed store/ feed mill , then to my ranch. I buy about100 tons of alfalfa hay annually for the horses. Nope , I don't have desease problems, I have the advantage to have a father , who was a Veterinarian [ he also thaught Freshman Anatomy at a Veterinary school], and I worked at the same Veterinary school , Pathology Department whith Vet. PhDs. , Vet PhD candidates, Senior Vet. students. as well as private laboratory. We also ahve 7 very bury large animal Vets in our area. My Equine Vet comes to my ranch ( well eequiped equine reproduction facility) on a busy schedual. I hope that at least a wee bit of that knowledge rubbed off on me. Also my birds are fairly isolated, and have a short but healthy lifespan due to invites to freezercamp. The housing is then vacated for 5-6 months. So they have very little chance of getting any desease or parasites unlike what they may pick up if allowed to roam willy nilly. They are very healthy, thrifty, vigorous and happy and after they are invited for dinner are very tastey and tender. Yup, at least for me, it does make a huge sense to raise a short crop of meat chicken. Yup, I do care about environmental issues. My property was originally an open range land and was never farmed, so no chemicals or fertilizers were ever used on it. I recycle, have my own nearly organic garden... we only have about an inch or two of topsoil then 6 inches of hardpan. So, to have a garden, I use at least 6 inches of my own horses' manure and mix in the chicken manure annually in my garden. I mulch around all of my trees, shrubs and pastures with tons of horse manure. 100 tons of alfalfa+ 50 tons of grain + pasture grass have to go somewhere. You see I learned from my then 4 year old grandson while he and I were on poop poop detail. We clean out the poop poop from the stalls, take it out to the pastures and spread it out,( he gets to ride in the wheelbarrow) then it fecomes fertilizer, which makes the grass grow, so that the horses can eat the grass, then the horse makes more poop poop, then we take it out to the pastures and it becomes more fertilizer to make more grass. He learned about the Nitrogen cycle on his own. From the mouths of babes comes wisdom! I drip irrigate everything to conserve water. The pastures are watered by the big sprinkler in the sky. I also care to leave moral and ethical values to my kids and grandkids as well as a safe environment. Oh, by the way... in addition to enjoying my own homegrown Bar-B-Qe'd chicken marketing horses, and breeding and AI services, I market certified ORGANIC, certified KOSHER and certified HALAL products. I hope that everyone could enjoy chickens running around green grass chasing bugs. Makes me envious. Enjoy !!!

lol, yup i think your ok! and kosher to boot, dang i am impressed

Ms. Ellen and Boonducks, thank you both for the tomato info! I knew hey self pollinated, but also figured that they'd easily pollinate each other, when in close proximity. I'm very happy to know that usually don't! I'll be saving those seeds this year. What about peppers?

Quote:
I just noticed that you are in Eugene. I went to the U there. I try to get down to Territorial Seed every few years and hope to next spring. Do you allow visits, or do you do tours? It would be great to include you in my next trip south. Maybe I could pick up a couple of mating pairs of those beautiful Ancona ducks you have.

Is your farm somewhat mobility accessible? I do walk short distances, but can't stand and remain upright for very long. (could bring a stool).

Thanks much!

Back
Top Bottom