Best Tasting Chicken Breed

Quote:
You are in an extreme environment. You live in the desert. There are a lot of predators. There is no forage. You use round-up and kill all the plant life except a few things that are not plants used by chickens as food. You have to keep your birds confined. Your feed costs are higher than in many other areas. From what you have said, evidently you've had disease problems. To you, it makes sense to either buy store bought or raise the short-crop time meat birds. You don't care about organic issues, or many other factors that are some people, including me, do care about.

I can't speak for everybody else, but I can tell you my situation.

I live in a very green place. There is a lot of forage, tons of vegetation, and with very rare exceptions, I don't use pesticides or herbicides. The exceptions are ivermectin once a year during molt to prevent rampant mite infestation, also heartworm prevention for my dogs, and neem, a natural herb used for the prevention and treatment of a variety of problems, and for pest control. It's safe for birds and mammals, in fact you can drink neem leaf tea, with many benefits and no ill effects at all. (That is, if you can stand the taste, I prefer to use it in capsule form.) My birds free range, I seldom lose one to a predator. I almost never have a disease problem.

I keep layers year round. I have an incubator, and if I choose, I can hatch fertile eggs from my hens anytime, but usually only do so during warm weather. It costs very little to run my incubator for 21 days. I forget exactly how much, but we figured it up not long ago, the cost was minuscule. I also have a great many hens who are good brooders. they incubate the eggs for free, and raise the chicks for me.

My feed costs are low compared to many other locations. I feed them for 14 weeks, or even 20 weeks. During that time, they eat a great many bugs and weed seeds. The feed consumed by my dual purps before butchering is similar to the amount your C X's would eat, they just don't eat it as fast. Then the excess roos go into the freezer, I may keep pullets for laying hens, or sell my extras.

You've often stated that time is money, but if one isn't selling the meat commercially, and nobody is paying for your time anyway, that doesn't apply. I'm not getting paid whether I raise Cornish X or dual purpose.

So I prefer to raise strong, healthy birds, that are capable of reproducing, and I prefer to eat chicken that has been raised free-range, on my own farm, with no herbicide or pesticide exposure. They're safe, they're healthy, they taste good, they are sustainable, and they are my choice.
You prefer something else. That is your choice. I wish you happiness with your choice.

Quote:
I applaud your choices, and wish you the best of luck with them. I think our situations may be similar. I also garden organically, (or close enough so as to make no difference, I guess it depends on how fine you wish to split a hair) and it might be interesting to compare notes, sometime.

I haven't yet read Omnivore's Dilemma, but only because I haven't gotten around to it. I have a copy of The Botany of Desire, it's very enlightening, as well.

I have a request to start an area for Organic and sustainable topics and feedback in the BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements area. Join me if you would like to second my motion. Thanks.

I think that's a good idea, you should send a PM to Niftychicken. Maybe he'll add an area. Maybe he'll post a poll to see if there's enough interest in the topic. I bet there is.

I have had the same questions, and so decided to raise a few different breeds this year. I have already completed 100 CX and 100 Colored Range Birds. I then started 100 Dixie Rainbows, Black Javas, and Delawares at the same time. I too am looking for a meat bird that I can raise and sell both chicks and processed birds locally. There is a lot of interest in my area of Michigan. For the first 4 weeks the Javas were just as large as the the DR, but now at 7 weeks are only slightly smaller than the average DR. Very promising results as far as I am concerned. Javas were one of the most popular meat birds for many years, so I'm very interested to see what results that I will get over the next few years. The Delawares (that are known for being fairly meaty) are only 1/2 the size of the Javas. I cannot wait to see what type of results I'll be getting after a few generations.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's great Buster!

I assume you like the book that you have as an Avatar.... Do you have any info that might influence my decision to buy it.... I have been eyeballing it quite a lot lately. Only so much money, and I want to make sure it really is going to be a good fit for me.

Hi there!

As you probably know by now I am a keen keeper of Silver Grey Dorkings here in the UK. I just came across this this article on a US site so I thought it was worth passing on:-

http://www.grit.com/daily-commute/Chicken-Choosin-Decides-Dorking-Chicken-is-Best-Eating.aspx

Another of my broodies is sitting on a clutch of eggs -- a mixture of pure bred Dorkings & Dorking x White Rock. As i am well-known for producing more roos than hens it looks like a tasty winter......!!

I haven't been posting much on this forum for a while because I was very busy with my garden & with TEG plus caring for all my new chicks. But I have been lurking here a lot so I haven't lost touch!

Hattie

Thank you, Hattie! Dorking is one of the breeds I'm most interested in working with, in breeding my own meat birds. I've been having trouble finding any breeders in my area, and had terrible results with shipped eggs. I may break down and get hatchery chicks, though I'd really rather have breeder stock. It doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

Have you tried any of the other color Dorkings? I only have one Dorking hen, she's a cross between color varieties. Birchen mom, who knows what dad. She's all black.

I want to cross Dorking hen, dark Cornish roo.

Hi dancingbear!

Having kept a dark Cornish roo who wasn't up to the job I've gone off that cross. The amount of poo he produced (& the smell) was epic & as I otherwise like to use the deep litter system it made my life a lot busier (as well as smellier). If I had a huge area of land & a chicken-tractor I might change my mind. I don't find the Cornish an attractive looking bird, as an artist that matters to me. I have to say my hens hated him -- they didn't like his looks either & ganged up on him & drove him out. He lives separately now.

No, I haven't had any other coloured Dorkings -- I am tempted though! I had a bit of trouble finding Dorkings in the UK but eventually I located someone in Wales who sent me some eggs which my broody sat. The Dorking roos are very gentle birds & make good fathers. I have two who take turns at baby-sitting their off-spring when mother's laying her eggs.
She started laying again about 6 weeks after hatching her brood. I have never had a hen lay so quickly after a hatch. It's a real bonus -- she never lost condition during that period. She even tried to take over another hen's eggs just two days ago but I stopped that. She seems to want to win the title of "Super- Mum".....!! I'm interested to see how long into the Fall / Winter she goes on laying.

Good Luck with your Dorking project. Is your hen nice natured too & does she lay well?

Hattie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom