Best Tasting Chicken Breed

Quote:
Not sustainable by the home producer. Sustainability has to do with the ability to save parent stock, in the case of animals, or seed, in the case of plants, and breed more. or re-plant more, yourself. Since I, for example, can't produce Cornish X chicks by breeding my own chickens, I would have to always and forever buy more chicks from a hatchery. I can't keep some and breed them to get more.

Just like hybrid seed for crops, such as a hybrid corn, can't be saved for seed and re-planted the next year, not and get the same thing anyway. Some hybrids, particularly genetically engineered crops, (not the same thing as an ordinary hybrid. Cross-breeding is NOT genetic engineering) now won't grow at all, (thanks to the terminator gene that may escape into other varieties and really screw up the food crops for everybody, can you say 'famine', boys and girls?). This makes them unsustainable by anybody who wants to save seed for re-planting.

My own dual purp chickens, and my heirloom, open pollinated vegetables, are sustainable. My chickens can breed and I can raise the chicks and eat them. I can keep some to raise as breeders for later. I don't have to order more chicks every time I want to raise some birds to eat. I can hatch my own. That's sustainable. My vegetables, if I don't plant two varieties of the same species, too close to each other, I can save the seeds from and re-plant the next year, and get the same as the year before. I'll be able to save seed from squash, okra, green beans, peas, cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, sunflowers, and onions, this year. That's sustainability.

I won't be able to save seed corn, from either of the kinds I planted. One is a hybrid sweet corn, and the other I mis-timed on the planting, and the two have crossed. So neither will be produce the seed corn I wanted for next year. the sweet corn would not have been sustainable in any case, but the heirloom meal corn would have been, if I hadn't goofed it up. My tomatoes and peppers will not be good to save seed from, either. They're all heirloom types, but I have several varieties of each, right next to each other, so they'll pretty much all be crossed. That's not sustainable. But the seed from the tomatoes and peppers would still grow and produce good food, they just wouldn't be predictable. I may plant some of those seeds anyway, just to see what I get. So I suppose they're still sustainable, in a sense, because the seeds will produce, good, edible food. They just won't be the same as the parent plants.

With Cornish X, they rarely live long enough to breed, as you well know, and since they are a highly specialized hybrid from years of breeding, we aren't going to be producing our own strains at home. If you can keep them alive long enough to breed, and keep the weight down enough to breed, you can certainly get more chickens, but you know they won't be the same as the parent stock. You could call that sustainable, but a lot harder than if you just start with birds that normally live long enough to breed.

When I ran the true costs of producing my own chicks in my own backyard, ie. cost of breeding stock, their feed and maintenance for a year costs, power, fuel ,etc.. I found that it was actually CHEAPER to buy my meat chicks. So what if it doesn't come from my backyard. I get a better quality chick and I can get consistant uniform results with better returns on my investment in a very short period of my time. I buy a chick, I raise it, I put it in the freezer and I am done until next year. I can then take off 5-6 months without any more chores or worries of predators, desease and inclement weather for the breeding stock and then spend that extra time with my grandkids eather on my ranch for their summer vacation or at their homes. I can put a horse from the pasture and into the stall that was occupied by the meat chickens for the grandkids to enjoy. I can teach them our values and keep them off the streets and out of trouble. What can be better than that?

BossRoo, many people DO care if it comes from their backyard, and cost isn't everything.

You've mentioned several times taking off 5-6 months after your birds are in the freezer, but for people with layers, they have to go out and feed anyways. I personally like going out and doing chores. The chickens are always thrilled to see me and they aren't hard to take care of-what more can you ask for?

You also mention getting rid of the meat chickens so you can spend more time with the grandkids. My little grandson and I spend several hours a day out in the pasture with my Colored range broilers and dual purpose roos. It's fun watching their antics, collecting bugs for them, etc. Heck, even my hubby sits out there after supper, and my teen son too. Last weekend we had friends over, and even they sat out there in lawnchairs for several hrs and watched them! It's nice that we've had the whole summer watching them. We'll be quite sad to see them go (and will probably even keep some of them around to stay). That's the difference between raising a bird in a box stall or tractor and free range on a pasture. I don't care how much they cost me to raise compared to the Cornishx, it's money well spent. I don't think we'd have much fun watching Cornishx in a tractor doing nothing but eat out of a feeder.

Quote:
All that is great, boss, and admirable.

But none of it has a thing to do with sustainability. There are good reasons for raising those birds, and good reasons not to. But Joel Salatin's niche is all about sustainable agriculture, and these birds just aren't a part of that.

Now, I don't really fault him for using them. Heavens knows he and the rest of the small poultry producers have enough of an uphill climb against Big Chicken and public apathy and ignorance.

Quote:
I was wondering when someone would bring this up. BTW, PC has a point. They really are considered a delicacy, a bit like the blue footed french chicken. If you are interested most in flavor, you should at least try a few- maybe you could pick up some unwanted roos?

As far as store bought chicken not having the same flavor as they used to, I know one major difference is the amount of stuff they inject. When I roast store bought chicken, I get a LOT more water. It doesn't stirfry as well either-too much water. Anyone see those Sanderson Farms commercials?

I can tell a huge difference in taste between heritage breeds and grocery store chickens. I don't believe I've ever tasted pastured, humanely raised Cornish Xes. Perhaps they would have more taste. The chickens from the store taste like cardboard, and are very mushy.

I was under the impression that the taste was superior not only due to diet but because heritage birds, particularly those that free range, actually use their muscles. This is what darkens the meat, why even with Cornish Xes thighs are tastier than breasts. Heritage "dual purpose" chickens have a gamier taste, which I like. The first time my family tasted "real" chicken from our own flock, we were won over. I remember thinking "So THIS is what chicken is supposed to taste like!"

That said, my dual purpose birds don't do well fried. I prefer to use them for soups, stews, chicken-n-dumplings, that sort of thing. I suppose Cornish would be better for that, or the range broilers. That's the idea behind veal, you know: keep the calves from moving much, and they will be tender and mild.

Interestingly, I CAN tell the difference between breeds. Not so much taste, but tecture. My Faverolles have a more delicate grain to them, are more tender overall, although still not so tender I would fry them. Compared to Sussex, the difference is surprising. And Sussex used to be considered table birds.

Favs tend to dress smaller, though--the Sussex are chesty and fat.

To answer what Neil GraSSBAUGH REFERED TO THAT NOT ALL MEAT BIRDS ARE CORNISH CROSS

IS THAT THE MEAT BIRDS SOLD BY tYSON AND THE REST ARE A COMBINATION OF THE TYPES OF CHICKENS THEY HAVE PERFECTED TO BE BROILERS
ALL OF THE MEAT PRODUCERS USE A COPYRIGHTED CHICKEN AS GENETICALLY USED BY THEIR COMPANY
AND THEY ARE NOT PURE CORNISH ROCK CROSSES

any questions email me

do guineas count?
i like the taste of guinea an awful lot
but the taste of any duel perpose chicken is just better

Quote:
Windy, try skinning them and cutting them up. you can cook boneless skinless breasts and deboned thighs on the grill and have them come out nice and tender from dual purpose birds. The drumsticks we bag and freeze for cold weather dutch oven cooking.

Steve in NC

I really appreciate all of the information that is being shared and debated here. For me this is the part of belonging to a community like this that is of most value to me.

I haven't yet decided which breed I will focus on next year. But I have decided that I have right now a perfect opportunity to find out what I like.

I have a mix of 25 or so of at least 10-12 different breeds. As soon as I figure out what breeds they are, I will tag my meat so that I can compare throughout the winter. Next year I expect I will have a much better idea which breeds I like the most.

I can really appreciate the need for some to choose a bird that requires a low investment of time and money. In my case however, I have plenty of time because I am disabled and unable to work a "normal" job. So being at home to feed chickens is not a sacrifice, and in fact gives me some purpose in my life. So I will not be choosing Cornish X. I just think breeding a chicken that has health problems is wrong.

And since I intend to go Organic and Biodiverse in my Garden; It only makes sense to choose heritage breeds in my Coop. I do think I have decided to try some guineas. I only wish I had a large enough place to plan on free ranging them.

Thanks again for all of the great info.

And incase it hasn't been said enough. Read the Omnivore's Dilemma. It really is a good education in preparation for making a conscious choice about the food you are eating.

Back
Top Bottom