Best way to kill cats? *Yeah I think the cats could have done it*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intentionally killing a cat is a criminal offense in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, regardless of ownership. Anti-cruelty laws apply to all cats—companion, abandoned, lost, and feral.

/www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=302

no matter what anyone thinks, or what you have been told by some redneck game warden, it is a federal law. my bf arrested and fined people all the time for trapping and killing feral cats. there are usually rescue people that will help trap and relocate feral cats. search on craigslist maybe. or contact this alleycat website.
we have lots of barn cats that keep away rats, mice and snakes from getting to our feed. they are spayed and neutered and live outside 24/7.
i trap feral cats and take them to the local clinic where they get spayed/neutered, shots, and wormed (for free) and then i set them back outside in a safe environment. it is called trap and release.
and lets be realistic, if cats can get to your birds..so can racoons..or hawks, or whatever..
my idea would be simple, keep a dog in the house for indoor protection, and a dog outside for outside protection.

Intentionally killing a cat is a criminal offense in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, regardless of ownership. Anti-cruelty laws apply to all cats—companion, abandoned, lost, and feral.

/www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=302

no matter what anyone thinks, or what you have been told by some redneck game warden, it is a federal law. my bf arrested and fined people all the time for trapping and killing feral cats. there are usually rescue people that will help trap and relocate feral cats. search on craigslist maybe. or contact this alleycat website.
we have lots of barn cats that keep away rats, mice and snakes from getting to our feed. they are spayed and neutered and live outside 24/7.
i trap feral cats and take them to the local clinic where they get spayed/neutered, shots, and wormed (for free) and then i set them back outside in a safe environment. it is called trap and release.
and lets be realistic, if cats can get to your birds..so can racoons..or hawks, or whatever..
my idea would be simple, keep a dog in the house for indoor protection, and a dog outside for outside protection.
Releasing them fixed isn't likely to protect my animals. Also, I know I can shoot them if they are threatening my livestock. Happens all the time to dogs and such around here. Sheriff comes out and makes the owner of the animal pay a fine to the person who shot it for the loss of livestock. So, not only am I within my rights to shoot it I could also make them pay for my money making ducks.
P.S. It's not like I shoot things for fun. They've been around awhile. I'm only killing them now that they are killing my birds which we eat and earn money from.

Extra strength Tylenol (not aspirin) is disproportionately poisonous to reptiles and cats and most snakes won't eat cat food. Doses that are safe for other animals will kill cats and reptiles. Cat owners hide pills in soft treats or "pill pockets" when they need to medicate their cats.

Night shooting can be done with lamps or night vision equipment. Leg hold traps also work well and non-cats can be released from them unharmed.

Boxtrap and eliminate them.
This. And SSS. You may not be able to cover your 1/2 acre run, but maybe you can build a covered enclosure for them to sleep in at night. As others have stated, they are a buffet waiting to happen for raccoons, fox, owls, coyotes. possums, mink and weasels if they're unprotected at night. You've been lucky so far.

The average duck weighs almost as much as the average cat so it is unlikely they are carrying them off. Did you see the cats kill ducks or did you just assume they are guilty because you saw them on your land? I bought my ducks a tent and put it inside their pen after a snake killed one when they were a month old and I zip them in every night. I have 3 dogs and one stays outside at night most of the time. You could put some solar powered lights out there and electrify the top of the fence also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom