Best way to kill cats? *Yeah I think the cats could have done it*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a feral cat problem at a previous address. I contacted animal control and they allowed me to use their traps. Once I trapped the cat, I transported it to animal control where it was most likely put to sleep . I trapped 15 feral cats in this manner. Most were in rough condition from fighting for breeding and feeding rights. I didn't have chickens at that time, but the cats sure did make a nuisance of themselves by pooping everywhere, climbing on cars, and leaving itty bitty kittens all over the place.

A cat that would habitually select a grown duck as prey seems dubious. We had free ranging ducks and thriving colony of feral cats (at least 30 cats, with another colony nearby) when I was growing up. The ducks started getting picked off, one by one, but it wasn't the cats. We saw them being carried off by airborne predators. An open pen of ducks sounds like a hawk buffet to me, but maybe I am just being ignorant.

That said, feral cats live sucky lives. Trapping, neutering and releasing does "fill the space" with sterile cats that aren't churning out kittens.

Intentionally killing a cat is a criminal offense in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, regardless of ownership. Anti-cruelty laws apply to all cats—companion, abandoned, lost, and feral.

/www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=302

no matter what anyone thinks, or what you have been told by some redneck game warden, it is a federal law. my bf arrested and fined people all the time for trapping and killing feral cats. there are usually rescue people that will help trap and relocate feral cats. search on craigslist maybe. or contact this alleycat website.
we have lots of barn cats that keep away rats, mice and snakes from getting to our feed. they are spayed and neutered and live outside 24/7.
i trap feral cats and take them to the local clinic where they get spayed/neutered, shots, and wormed (for free) and then i set them back outside in a safe environment. it is called trap and release.
and lets be realistic, if cats can get to your birds..so can racoons..or hawks, or whatever..
my idea would be simple, keep a dog in the house for indoor protection, and a dog outside for outside protection.
Please do yourself and others a favor, check your facts before you present them as such. Killing a cat IS NOT a CRIMINAL OFFENSE in all 50 states, anti cruelty laws DO NOT apply to all cats in ALL STATES. One thing my 27 year career as a Federal Law Enforcement Officer has taught me is to KNOW the LAW.
http://animallaw.info/articles/ovusferalcat2010.htm

If you take the time to read the link I can verify you are correct about one thing, Florida has now joined the above mentioned states that choose to protect feral cats to a limited degree, Florida Statute 828.055. So technically there are 14 states who have laws regarding Feral Cats. Georgia is NOT one of them. THERE ARE NO FEDERAL LAWS regarding FERAL CATS. If there are would you kindly post the link to the USC United States Code regarding such.

What is one thing HSUS, ASPCA, and PETA have in common? Hint; They are not federal agencies. The USFWS United States Fish and Wildlife Service is: http://www.fws.gov
Click on the SEARCH link and type in Feral Cat there is some very interesting links on that site.

jaxchic I'm gonna be nice and not call names like "Redneck" because I am from Jacksonville. The game warden you refered to as "Redneck" is a lifelong friend of mine who has 29 years of service with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources and he has a bachelors degree in wildlife biology. He is a heck of a nice guy unless you are a poacher.

Last edited:
goodpost.gif
Fact not fiction. Isn't 'redneck' a compliment? I wear it with pride.
old.gif

I have been watching some videos on YouTube about feral animals in Australia. They have goats, pigs, donkeys, foxes, dogs, cats, and even camels that keep reproducing with few predators.

About the only effective way they have found to control the feral animal population in Australia is to allow people to shoot them.

"my bf arrested and fined people all the time for trapping and killing feral cats."

Where was this?

Trap, neuter and release is a good policy. Killing a feral cat colony will only allow a new colony to move in. If not cats, some other predator, such as raccoons, foxes, bobcats, coyotes etc (not sure what predators are in your area, just throwing this out there). Were there lots of feathers and body parts left behind? If so, then a bobcat or raccoon is likely. If not, then it was likely a fox, hawk or owl. Surprised to hear a cat would take out a duck, sleeping or no. If you still wish to remove the cats, consider borrowing a trap from the local animal shelter - here they are free, though you must leave a check for a fully refundable deposit upon return of the trap. Whatever you do, please be humane, feral cats suffer and lead hard lives. Also, just because they are outdoor cats does not necessarily mean they are feral. They may just be outdoor cats and therefore someone's pets.

Better yet, just build a fence with a wire floor and roof - chicken wire smaller than 1/2" will keep out even determined raccoons and weasels.

Last edited:
Quote: You must have lots of $$$ then. That costs money, last I heard. If it's really free, lucky you. I wouldn't take the time. There are no free clinics here. I do not have the money to pay a vet to neuter someone else's dumped cat and I wouldn't do it if I did have it. Not my responsibility. A cat is a predator, period.

This state and my county regs give me the right to shoot to kill any domesticated animal harassing my livestock, which includes cats. Now, most cats don't bother full grown chickens and ducks, or no one could have barn cats; a feral colony could be a slightly different story, if they've actually been seen hunting and killing poultry. Would I shoot a cat if it became a problem with my chickens? You bet I would. Cats don't get a free pass because it's become a custom to let them roam at will. See my signature line.

Last edited:
Read the website and agree! I'm looking pretty evil here for wanting to get rid of the cats but really I'm not. We used to have a huge problem with rabbits. I mean huge. Now we barely see any. What happens when that link of the food chain is gone for other predators? I've not had real problems up until this point. Maybe because the cats are eliminating the wild prey? Either way, the cats have got to go. I don't like them around my property. Even if they didn't kill the ducks, they've gotta go.

I think someone is going to continue to lose full grown ducks after they eliminate the "feral" cats. Ducks are pretty heavy birds and I can't see a cat killing it or carrying it off. Heck, cats won't even bother crows, they're just too big. Smaller birds or baby chicks or baby ducks I can see, but not full grown. Especially if the neighbor has been feeding them. But, I agree with others, animal control needs to be called to catch them because the neighbor obviously is not spaying or neutering and by feeding them even occasionally, they are going to breed more. That's an awful life for a stray, half starving and always open to disease and such. They look so pitiful at times. They may be visiting your place for feed. I've seen even my cats eat my chicken feed and they are well fed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom