Best way to kill cats? *Yeah I think the cats could have done it*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't depend upon the world to do the right thing, we can only depend upon ourselves for that. If you feel like poisoning cats is the way to go about that because someone else made them your 'problem', then by all means knock yourself out. I quit this thread...I would quote Ron White here, but that would probably be against those 'special rules'.

Wow .. what a sad read
sad.png
I really ummed and aaahed if I wanted to join the conversation and put myself in the firing line; but I feel strongly about the subject. I confess to being a cat lover .. I have two. They are inside cats but have a secure outside area where they can play; this way, they are safe and so are my chickens and the wild parrots and doves that I feed. My chickens and cats are my responsibility and I make sure they have enclosures that can protect them. I would be horrified if one of my cats should accidentally get out and be shot or poisoned in a case of mistaken identity trying to find their way home. I have goldfish ponds also. Do I start killing all the birds in my area that may be a threat to my goldfish? No, I make sure the goldfish are protected and safe. Do I start killing all the dogs in my area which may be a threat to my cats? No, I make sure they are protected and safe. Do I start killing all the cats in my area because they may be a threat to my chickens? No, I make sure the cats can't get to my chickens. Where do we draw the line? Who knows, if all the feral cats and kittens get shot or poisoned, another predator that may have been picking them off may start in on the ducks and chickens also. It is my job to protect my animals if a predator gets to them, whose fault is that?!

Heather, I was referring to your very last comment, quoted below, which I took to be a sarcastic back-handed insult:

Quote: And I asked that we keep it civil. I also said that I personally do not approve of poisoning animals and when I was a moderator for over 5 years here, I often had to stop talk of the torturous killing of animals with fly baits, etc. I don't know how the rules are enforced now or if they have changed at all in regard to allowing talk of that, but I feel the special P&P rules bear repeating:

Quote:
I just want to make clear the purpose of this forum.

*This forum is for dealing with predators and pests. Period.

*If information is graphic, please note it in the subject line of your post so members can make a decision whether they want to open the thread or not. If you choose to open a thread with said warnings, it is not BYC's responsibility when you are offended.

*Dealing with predators and pests is not always pleasant. Although sometimes hard to do, please be as sensitive as possible when explaining procedures and results. Some younger members and/or squeamish adults will appreciate it.

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.

*That being said, please do not gloat or suggest torturous ways of killing for pleasure or indeed, post in such a way that your predator control can be construed as pleasure killing instead of simply taking care of a problem.

*Compassion will go a long way toward helping to educate and help solve someone's predator problem. No matter the reason, most members' birds are their pets and being a chicken doesn't make it less of a pet than a house cat or companion dog. Please don't lecture or hassle anyone about their losses. Glass houses......

*If you wish to suggest an alternate non lethal means of control, please share it in a non judgmental way that is a viable solution and not merely complaining about who was here first etc, IF it is directly related to the OP's request for assistance. If a non lethal alternative is offered, please be appreciative and remember that there are many ways and means and flaming a member for suggesting such an alternative will not be tolerated.

*It is the responsibility of the person with the predator to determine the legalities of what they do and that person will take ultimate responsibility. BYC does not condone illegal acts.

For instance, Trapping..this is a legal defense and it is not open for debate whether you prefer this method or not. This forum is designed as an aid to those who are having predator problems. It is not a debate forum on ethics.

*Please keep this in mind as we all learn from one another how to deter predators. Thanks.
smile.png

Last edited:
When cats are removed from islands, they first knockdown the population by saturating it with poison bait and/or introducing a pathogen. The survivors are trapped with box or foothold traps and euthanized or hunted down (sometimes with the assistance of tracking dogs) and shot. All these methods are considered humane.

Wow .. what a sad read
sad.png
I really ummed and aaahed if I wanted to join the conversation and put myself in the firing line; but I feel strongly about the subject. I confess to being a cat lover .. I have two. They are inside cats but have a secure outside area where they can play; this way, they are safe and so are my chickens and the wild parrots and doves that I feed. My chickens and cats are my responsibility and I make sure they have enclosures that can protect them. I would be horrified if one of my cats should accidentally get out and be shot or poisoned in a case of mistaken identity trying to find their way home. I have goldfish ponds also. Do I start killing all the birds in my area that may be a threat to my goldfish? No, I make sure the goldfish are protected and safe. Do I start killing all the dogs in my area which may be a threat to my cats? No, I make sure they are protected and safe. Do I start killing all the cats in my area because they may be a threat to my chickens? No, I make sure the cats can't get to my chickens. Where do we draw the line? Who knows, if all the feral cats and kittens get shot or poisoned, another predator that may have been picking them off may start in on the ducks and chickens also. It is my job to protect my animals if a predator gets to them, whose fault is that?!

If my dog leaves my property and is killed, whose fault is that? I do not like that all the responsibility is on me to protect these cats. They aren't my cats. If they were I'd protect them from people who'd shoot or poison them. As I stated previously, my great pyr jumps fences. We've pretty much eliminated his jumping but every single time he jumped he was at huge risk of death. He could have been shot, poisoned, hit by a car and so on. It terrified me to think of and so we went to great lengths to prevent further escaping.

I admit I let the birds out to free range. I've since stopped doing that. It's still unfair that I can't enjoy my property to it's full extent because of the irresponsibility of another animal owner.

I don't know if the cats will eat the poison. Maybe they will maybe they won't. We try to be as humane as possible. We are also against poison as it could somehow get back to our dogs and we want to avoid that at all costs. Hopefully we'll trap them, if not we will do what we must.

I've been considering getting a barn cat to take care of our mouse issue around here, which is ironic, considering the subject of this thread. If the cat went somewhere killing someone's livestock or being a nuisance, I would expect it might not come home.

Heather, that last comment was uncalled for. Let's try to stay civil. Maybe re-read the rules of Predators & Pests at the top of this section? There are special rules for participation here.

I might consider poisoning mice if I didn't have chickens. My comment about poison was more about dogs, cats and other predators. We currently have no other animals that live here that might accidentally get hold of poisoned mouse. Best thing we've done is beat back the jungle from the coops, keep places from being easy hiding spots for the rats/mice. The only place we can't currently fix is the stand up crawl on our house. Has a lattice work double door so mice live in the insulation that is overhead, insulation for our house floors. Ick. Disgusting. Maybe I can borrow a cat and let it stay in there for a day or two with some water and feast, lol.

I happened upon this thread so I'll jump in here.

I've read that mice don't like the smell of mint. You might try spraying mint oil under there to deter them. I've been moving my mints from my herb garden to around my chicken runs. You get a nice sinus clearing smell from Spearmint when you hit it with a mower. Chickens don't eat it and leave it alone. Pineapple mint is nicely variegated. Lemon Balm makes a nice soothing tea.

I don't use poison around here since if a mouse were to die or be dying near the chickens they might eat it and die too. I used poison once and the mouse got inside the wall and died and boy did it stink. I had to pull the baseboard off and used a knitting needle to spear it and get it out.

Further I have researched rat poison and it doesn't always kill just the rat. A sick or dying rat may be eaten by a hawk, fox or coyote and of course they eat the poison too. The way the basic poison works is by warfarin a coumadin type chemical and the animal bleeds to death. It isn't always effective.

If you are persistent and patient, I suggest leaving the traps out for a while BEFORE baiting them, so the cats get used to seeing them and don't perceive them as a threat. Then bait them with Sardines. My only concern with baiting traps is attracting a more dangerous predator.

Now with regards to feral cats? Here in Syracuse we have the CNY cat coalition. A catch and release group that catches spays/neuters and releases cats back to where they were caught.

Again at the risk of sounding crude, I suggest having a male member of the family "mark" his territory frequently. Cats like dogs mark. I mark at night and in lots of the same places. The larger the area marked the better. I am not talking a little piddling here and there. Trees, shrubs, logs , stumps , where ever. Especially along path ways from the woods or anywhere animals might travel.

Another thing that might work is talk radio. Make the area as uncomfortable for the cats as you can. Perhaps they will leave the area.

I also have white christmas lights surrounding my garden and inside the chicken runs. I got them cheap after the holiday and bought lots of them to replace burnouts.

Or you could just throw lots of cat nip around and when they're all laying out stoned go out and shoot them.
lau.gif

I hope you find some of these suggestions helpful.

I wish you well,

Rancher

Tim, tried the mint thing. It doesn't really work. I had oil of peppermint and peppermint out of used mint herb tea bags sprinkled all over the crawl area. No dice. They like living in that insulation way too much. It's disgusting in there. We'll have to rip all of it out (second time in 10 years) and do it again, but they can get in there with no trouble unless we build a real door and frame and somehow make it where there is no tiny space for a mouse to squeeze in there. Need a cat to patrol. I fed a stray who moused for me for three years. He eventually was killed by the local dogs or coyotes, never found out which. Later, a black stray started doing rounds and mousing for us. Then, eventually he and all the other cats just vanished. Coyotes are here now, and apparently foxes as well. I hear them at night now. Bet they've had lots of cat snacks.

I assume the insulation is in the rafter part of the crawl space? Perhaps you could cover it with wire screening? I'm sure it would take a lot but might be worth it in the long run.

As for me and the mint. It's taking over the herb garden and I'd just as soon have it where it might do some good and make the outside border of the runs look nice. I haven't really had a problem with mice. Though I do use traps to catch them.

I'd rather not get anymore cats. Breaks the heart when they go. Our Merlin never bothered the chickens or chicks.

Normal Jean likes to get in the broody box and sleep under their heat light. Scares the dickens out of the chicks though.
lol.png
She woke up before I could get the camera.

My neighbor has cats but she keeps them in now. Ever since one came home with an injured tail. Vet said he thought it was a trap and had to the injured half off.

I did see a fox some weeks ago on the way to church and turned around and came back home since I'd let the chicken out to range. Nothing since though.

I do have lots of rabbits in the yard though. They eat right along side the chickens.

If my dog leaves my property and is killed, whose fault is that? I do not like that all the responsibility is on me to protect these cats. They aren't my cats. If they were I'd protect them from people who'd shoot or poison them. As I stated previously, my great pyr jumps fences. We've pretty much eliminated his jumping but every single time he jumped he was at huge risk of death. He could have been shot, poisoned, hit by a car and so on. It terrified me to think of and so we went to great lengths to prevent further escaping.

I admit I let the birds out to free range. I've since stopped doing that. It's still unfair that I can't enjoy my property to it's full extent because of the irresponsibility of another animal owner.

I don't know if the cats will eat the poison. Maybe they will maybe they won't. We try to be as humane as possible. We are also against poison as it could somehow get back to our dogs and we want to avoid that at all costs. Hopefully we'll trap them, if not we will do what we must.

I understand your frustration and my comments are not directly aimed at you; basically they are an opinion. I guess I am trying to say that if your dog did leave your property there would be no cause to shoot it and all efforts should be made for it's death to be the last resort. I try to make my property as safe as I can for my animals and if a cat, dog or other predator visits, I have taken all steps I can to stop it causing mayhem. This then gives me the opportunity to find it's owner, relocate it or ask for help from the appropriate organisation or authorities to resolve the situation. If your dog wandered onto my property you would get it back. Obviously I would not be happy if it did somehow manage to get into my chicken run but I would take steps to ensure that it would not happen again by fixing the security on my run, not shooting the dog! Shooting the dog is not going to stop the next dog from getting to my chickens; reinforcing the run will!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom