rilly10

Clover Field Farm
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Pottstown, PA
Hello!

So I am a newbie here (first post
tongue.png
) and I am also a new chicken owner! I have 3 silkies that are 2.5 weeks, and 4 polish that are 5 days old. I am OBSESSED!!!! My question is what do you guys do to get them to warm up to you? I know the breeds I chose are pretty friendly to begin with but I am awestruck by all of the pictures of members with their chicks sleeping on their laps or perched on their shoulders...how do I get them to be so friendly???

I have tried treats (strawberries, lettuce, and apples) but the only thing they will take from my hands are dried mealworms which I don't want to overdo. I have also been picking them up one at a time for a few minutes each to try to get them used to being held.

Is there anything else I can do? How do you guys get yours to be so sweet?!?!?

I sometimes just put my hand in there and leave it. Let them get used to it. They come over and investigate and I dont move. Eventually they learn its just my hand. Then I started giving treats, some times. So now they know my hand represents possible food too. But no more scattering when I put my hand in.

I too hold each one separately for a little bit each day. My newer 3 week old ones are not too happy yet but they will get the idea in a few weeks. The older ones now like a little petting.

Tonite was good nite.

I have a pen everyone spends the day in but have two groups that sleep in different brooders (coop almost done). I reached my hand into the pen and all the old ones came to be lifted out. Eventually all the little ones joined as well. FIRST TIME!!!

Still cant get the littlest ones to eat out of my hand, but this was a great accomplishment for me!

deb

Younger chickens, it just takes a while. My chickens are now crawling all over me and won't leave me alone. When I first got them they saw me and ran for there lives! lol, they will warm up to you.

Back
Top Bottom