Beware Lancaster Fancy Fowl

I think it's really funny how I am the one who ended up with two sick chickens, one of which made ALL my chickens sick, yet I am the one being questioned. If someone can't deal with a negative review and facts, then perhaps they shouldn't own a business. I don't need to do all of that to know where the CRD came from. Some things are common sense when there were no other options of where it came from. As I said, my chickens are NOT free range, nor do outside birds have access to their coop and run. I am not around other birds of any sort, and biosecurity measures are used when my husband or myself enter the run. There are no other possibilities as all my other chickens were purchased as chicks, these are the only outside birds I have ever brought in. And, as I have said, the sickness started right after I brought the new birds in. I HIGHLY doubt that's a coincidence. It's pretty sh*tty that I am being attacked for simply stating FACTS of what happened after I purchased chickens from LFF. When I am the one who has to now decide whether to have a closed flock, or to cull them all and start fresh. These are our pets, not just a food source. I have every right to be upset.
Danielle, I bought a lovely little starter flock from a "chicken dealer" lovely man...lovely chickens, but I knew the risks. Unkown vaccination status, unknown exposure to anything... FF a few months later, new (used EE chickens) come into the picture. I Quarantine them for over 30 days. They are not sick. However, they may have been shedding Marek's etc.

The thing is, I did my best to keep them away, wouldn't have helped for Marek's or other latent viruses, and I don't have a clean room...I did my best and lost a sweet hen.

I also have zillions of song birds, and crows over and about my property....I can't place blame entirely on the "used chickens". It may have been something else.

Just thinking.

And also, why accept a beat up chicken (naked crusty back) was it mailed? I personally wouldn't worry about that kind of thing to much, it's not life threatening, just some tlc.

We live close to John and have gotten all of our chickens from him. He's always been so helpful and even went as far as to come out to our house and inspect our birds when we had a few catch IB. He was very helpful and told us everything we needed to do to get them healthy and keep them that way. When one of my birds was dying I took it over to him and he showed me how to inject the Tylan and tried to tube feed the bird. However, she was too weak to be tube fed and passed out. He gave my bird a form of MOUTH TO MOUTH. That's dedication right there. He also took one of our roosters that started getting out of control to green dragon for us to find it a new home. I know that whenever anything comes up or we have any questions he will do all that he can to help. I recommend him 100% to anyone!

Danielle,
I would be upset to lose birds and have a sick flock as well but I can't help but think that you didn't take the proper precautions when you first got the birds. The first thing we always do it spray for mites/lice the day we get them. We keep them quarantined for weeks. Also, were you watching for signs that your bird was sick? There are ways to tell that your bird is not feeling well before it is too late. In the time you had the bird you had plenty of time to look every day for symptoms. I check my flock every day and inspect them to look for signs of illness. At the first sign of a bird not feeling good I try to figure out what it is, treat it, and if that doesn't work, ask John for advice. I believe your actions of going and writing a bad review about a great company are childish. If you had a personal bad experience that's fine, you don't have to get your birds from him anymore. To go onto Facebook and write a bad review is something a 15 year old girl would do. You're better than that. You don't have a reason to be mad at him. You should be mad at yourself for not taking proper precautions and catching the illness of your bird in time.

John and all of Lancaster Fancy Fowl is a great business to buy poultry from and his Happy Chicken Tonic is wonderful. His birds are gorgeous. Don't let others who had once bad experience deter you from purchasing birds from him.

The new birds were quarantined and separately from each other as well since they weren't close enough in age to be together. Good thing or I would have ended up with two birds infested with mites. I know how to take proper precautions and did do so, however I have no interest in talking about this any further. Leaving a negative review isn't something a child would do, it is something that any person who had a negative experience would do. CRD aside, no reputable breeder would have sold me such a young chick with a mite infestation. That came from an EXTREMELY experienced chicken keeper. Not that it matters because that chicken (from John) is dead now. Just because some people have good experience doesn't mean everyone will. I've read other posts where people have compared his operation to a puppy mill. Should have listened to them instead. So instead of ASSUMING that I didn't do things right, perhaps you should just keep quiet on a situation you know nothing about. I am outside with my birds every day and have always been. I check them in the morning and check them at night. I keep them clean and practice good bio security. If I didn't do these things, then I wouldn't have concluded that the illness came from his chicken. That would be one hell of a timing coincidence.

PS- An actual apology from him would have went a LONG way. Not just "I'm sorry you feel that way". An email attempting to cover up that I was sold chickens that weren't in good health is what I got. And I make no apologies for letting people know what happened.

we just received a batch from them April 29- as of 2 days give or take ALL our flocks are sick with CRD - this not our first batch of chicks to be ordered, they are separated. 4 years of absolutely no problems every flock of ours has come down with the CRD- pin pointing the cause and even trying to figure it out has been stressful - we monitor them each day nothing started until few days ago- the only thing different are the chicks

Last edited:
I am new here. But wanted to put my 2 cents in as I recently purchased 3 Pullets from LFF. I love my 3 chickens and they are doing good. They all seem healthy and eat and drink well, although not totally taught on nipples yet. I ordered them and then had correspondence with Jennie, made an appointment with a 1 hour window as I was traveling from 4 hours away and wanted to hit up Roots while I was in the area. We got there no one around, I knocked on every door of house and building and yelled out. after 15 minutes of continuous knocking on the door ( that was open to walk into the house! ) and yelling into every building. We looked up the number and called and they called back ( I think John but I wasn't on the cell ) . After You didn't go into the buildings did you! reference point: I have 13 years experience in the Biotech/Pharma Industry and taught people to work in Class 4 clean rooms! I am not going to violate a potential bio-hazard barrier! They did apologize and send a kid out to catch me my 3 pullets. Another 25 minutes later! I got to go beyond the door and see some of the layout, while he was catching my chickens. They seem pretty straight up on their function of a healthy chicken farm. All animals seemed good, but their Business standpoint is pathetic! I am all for Small Farms in the US and try to support them. But their is no way that from what I saw at that farm they contain that many breeds. Do I stand behind their quality , Yes! But the experience of dealing with them makes me think twice! I am Happy with my purchase but my experience with them makes me think twice!

Picking up chicks this week from LFF. Can't wait to see the layout!

They have been helpful and accommodating so far via email, even for my small order. I had an order from another hatchery that we hadn't worked out...I got a call from the Post Office randomly 530 am that my chicks were there. (Good on the PO, but what the heck from the hatchery? I had to bring em home and put them in the tub! No notice, grumble, grumble, grumble....

Plus, I can drive to LFF, no mailing.

I will look over birds (which I am crappy at, because their beauty an newness dazzles me every dang time (but I hear I have a good eye for chickens, ha!)

If anyone has crusty anything...I will not just take anyway. I will sort it out there and all parties will come away satisfied.

That is a personal responsibility.

Last edited:
Well said. I had a friend go there about 2 weeks ago and complained to me that LLF did not have the breeds they were looking for, because LFF had to acquire them. LFF is NOT a breeder, they are mostly a broker. I hate the false advertising they have on their site. A business should not advertise themselves as a breeder when they are not.

Well said. I had a friend go there about 2 weeks ago and complained to me that LLF did not have the breeds they were looking for, because LFF had to acquire them. LFF is NOT a breeder, they are mostly a broker. I hate the false advertising they have on their site. A business should not advertise themselves as a breeder when they are not.

A Chick Broker? That's rich...

If I were looking for a new offshore boat or Sports car, i'd look for a broker. For chickens???

Seems to me that they have select breeds. If they do not have what you want, they will try to find it. Seems like service to me.

Back
Top Bottom