Beware Lancaster Fancy Fowl

Hi there Danielle 3507,
As the owner of LFF, I would like to take the opportunity to respond to your post. First, when we discovered your problem with cocci and chicken lice, we apologized for the issues you were having and explained that our facilities are not 100% "critter" proof. Raising poultry in a chicken house or barn and giving them access to pasture/dirt is not like raising them in a sterile house environment. As a result, we have to raise our chicks, juveniles, and adults on quality bedding to minimize the problems associated with mites and fleas which are natural environmental parasites that exist everywhere. To eliminate this problem entirely is virtually impossible and so we try our best to work with what we have.
smile.png
The same goes for cocci. It is a natural dust borne microscopic parasite that is in the air and unavoidable. Hence our chicks are fed an amprol medicated feed till the age of 10 weeks, at which point they become naturally resistant to it.

From what I recall, you never made any attempt to contact us directly for help or advice on your problems. Instead, you hopped on our FB page and wrote a scathingly negative review about our hatchery. I removed it because I didn't believe it was a legitimate complaint/accusation and did not accurately represent the time, care, and money we put into our birds to ensure our customers receive the healthiest birds possible. Later, after contacting you myself, I explained to you that cocci flare ups are most common when chicks are moved from one environment to another and undergo a period of stressful transition, this is especially true for mail ordered or shipped chicks. (BTW, Goats are notorious for having this problem as well.) For this reason we provide the following clause in our online health guarantee: ".....Since juvenile and day-old poultry are especially sensitive to soil parasites and coccidiosis (environmentally transmitted microscopic organisms), the customer must provide a coccidiostat in the form of medicated feed or water upon the bird’s arrival, and when putting the birds to pasture for the first time, provide a poultry wormer to safeguard against soil parasites. If such measures are not followed, the health guarantee is void."

The bald spot you mentioned your bird having is due to juveniles pecking each other periodically throughout the growth process and we notify our customers of this problem in our policy, which they are responsible for reading prior to purchase: "Please understand that our juveniles are floor raised with hundreds of others in relatively close proximity. We do not debeak or heat trim the beaks of our chicks or juveniles in any way. As a result, juveniles are prone to pluck each other’s feathers at times and may appear somewhat scruffy or have mild bare spots when initially purchased. The scruffy, somewhat feather pecked appearance is nothing to worry about and disappears almost immediately when the birds are given sufficient space and time in a less competitive environment."

If you had contacted us to notify us that your birds were dying due to severe cocci and lice infestation or the bald spot you mentioned posed a life threatening risk, I would have been happy to replace your birds or offer you a full refund, but to just defame us because you are unhappy about your discovery of chicken lice and cocci is not going to remedy your problems. However, in a private email, we did provide helpful suggestions for how you could combat the problems of lice and cocci, which is the best I could offer as the seller of your birds. If you are unhappy with this, I apologize and don't know what else to say.

I'm saddened to hear that we are now being accused of selling you a bird with CRD (chronic respiratory disease) and you cite the fact that we sell a tonic to cure URI (upper respiratory infection) associated problems in poultry as proof that our birds are sold sick to our customers. I think it is a mistake to arrive at such far-fetched conclusions without any proof to back up your statements. We started HCT out of a desire to offer a natural alternative to commercial antibiotics. We get calls routinely from poultry holders throughout the US who are searching for advice on how to cure their chicken's IB, NC, MG, IC, etc and want to know what we offer our birds to keep them healthy. Since our customers are aware we are a naturally inclined and organically fed operation, they want to know if we have any advice on alternatives to conventional antibiotics. We did not have any dynamic options to offer until we ran into a desperate situation almost a year ago while we were expanding our flocks in preparation for moving into our new chicken house at our current Leola location. We bought hundreds of exotic birds from well known and highly credentialled breeders throughout the US--breeders that have a reputation for breeding show quality birds and offering imported bloodlines. They (these breeders) have also been tested clean for Typhoid, Polorum, Avian Influenza, Salmonella, and E-Coli by the NPIP with papers to prove it. However, sad to say, allot of these birds were infected with acute cases of URI---not in the NPIP screening process---and after we learned of it, we immediately quarantined and treated them. As back up, we had 3 separate locations (miles apart) to house our birds and took the utmost precautions necessary to ensure the birds we sell are in good health. Also, we have a rigorous prescreening process birds undergo prior to when we sell them. We did not want to use conventional antibiotics as we are predisposed against the health risks/side effects associated with them. After contacting an herbal formulator in Ohio with a reputation of successfully treating all kinds of animals naturally, including puppies, we came up with an all natural, organically based, high potency formula to cure the birds that were infected, and praise God, it worked marvelously and now we use it exclusively with our birds as a seasonal fowl conditioner and also have tested it with our chicks as a possible alternative to amprolium medication. So far we are persuaded it is a viable and working alternative.

What you must understand is that I don't accuse these breeders for selling us sick birds, even though they charged us a small fortune for these rare and endangered breeds. Why do I say this? Because I know how prevalent and unavoidable airborne viruses can be especially during a cold winter. Not to mention that URI is currently at an all time high nationwide on account of the rise in people now tending backyard flocks. Also, the state of Texas is currently facing a severe crisis with IB and MG. Recently in Washington they had to commit several hundred birds due to the big virus problem.

Since we launched HCT (Happy Chicken Tonic) we are overwhelmed by the amount of requests we receive on a daily basis from customers who are looking for help with their poultry URI. From as far up the East Coast as New Hampshire, we are receiving requests to ship the tonic asap. Just recently we had one of the biggest chicken bloggers in America with a FB audience of 400K and with 10,000 blog visitors daily, asking us to ship them the tonic as these problems currently persist and are growing. So to pin us down for your birds contracting an airborne virus at a time when it is a national epidemic is to me a bit outrageous. Especially since you can't provide a clear connection to us and you mention this months after acquiring our birds.

If any have doubts about the health and maintenance of our flocks, all they need do is come out to our Leola hatchery location and take a tour of our main house and brooding facility to verify the rearing conditions and the health of our birds. We do have bio-security measures in place and guidelines our customers must observe when coming to our farm, but otherwise, we give them a first hand and reasonably close up introduction to our operation.

Daniele, let me humbly suggest you do your homework on poultry problems and risks prior to purchasing birds from breeders and leveling impossible expectations on folks who are doing everything possible to sell healthy and viable birds to their customers.
God bless you!
John A.

Hi there Danielle 3507,
As the owner of LFF, I would like to take the opportunity to respond to your post. First, when we discovered your problem with cocci and chicken lice, we apologized for the issues you were having and explained that our facilities are not 100% "critter" proof. Raising poultry in a chicken house or barn and giving them access to pasture/dirt is not like raising them in a sterile house environment. As a result, we have to raise our chicks, juveniles, and adults on quality bedding to minimize the problems associated with mites and fleas which are natural environmental parasites that exist everywhere. To eliminate this problem entirely is virtually impossible and so we try our best to work with what we have.
smile.png
The same goes for cocci. It is a natural dust borne microscopic parasite that is in the air and unavoidable. Hence our chicks are fed an amprol medicated feed till the age of 10 weeks, at which point they become naturally resistant to it.

From what I recall, you never made any attempt to contact us directly for help or advice on your problems. Instead, you hopped on our FB page and wrote a scathingly negative review about our hatchery. I removed it because I didn't believe it was a legitimate complaint/accusation and did not accurately represent the time, care, and money we put into our birds to ensure our customers receive the healthiest birds possible. Later, after contacting you myself, I explained to you that cocci flare ups are most common when chicks are moved from one environment to another and undergo a period of stressful transition, this is especially true for mail ordered or shipped chicks. (BTW, Goats are notorious for having this problem as well.) For this reason we provide the following clause in our online health guarantee: ".....Since juvenile and day-old poultry are especially sensitive to soil parasites and coccidiosis (environmentally transmitted microscopic organisms), the customer must provide a coccidiostat in the form of medicated feed or water upon the bird’s arrival, and when putting the birds to pasture for the first time, provide a poultry wormer to safeguard against soil parasites. If such measures are not followed, the health guarantee is void."

The bald spot you mentioned your bird having is due to juveniles pecking each other periodically throughout the growth process and we notify our customers of this problem in our policy, which they are responsible for reading prior to purchase: "Please understand that our juveniles are floor raised with hundreds of others in relatively close proximity. We do not debeak or heat trim the beaks of our chicks or juveniles in any way. As a result, juveniles are prone to pluck each other’s feathers at times and may appear somewhat scruffy or have mild bare spots when initially purchased. The scruffy, somewhat feather pecked appearance is nothing to worry about and disappears almost immediately when the birds are given sufficient space and time in a less competitive environment."

If you had contacted us to notify us that your birds were dying due to severe cocci and lice infestation or the bald spot you mentioned posed a life threatening risk, I would have been happy to replace your birds or offer you a full refund, but to just defame us because you are unhappy about your discovery of chicken lice and cocci is not going to remedy your problems. However, in a private email, we did provide helpful suggestions for how you could combat the problems of lice and cocci, which is the best I could offer as the seller of your birds. If you are unhappy with this, I apologize and don't know what else to say.

I'm saddened to hear that we are now being accused of selling you a bird with CRD (chronic respiratory disease) and you cite the fact that we sell a tonic to cure URI (upper respiratory infection) associated problems in poultry as proof that our birds are sold sick to our customers. I think it is a mistake to arrive at such far-fetched conclusions without any proof to back up your statements. We started HCT out of a desire to offer a natural alternative to commercial antibiotics. We get calls routinely from poultry holders throughout the US who are searching for advice on how to cure their chicken's IB, NC, MG, IC, etc and want to know what we offer our birds to keep them healthy. Since our customers are aware we are a naturally inclined and organically fed operation, they want to know if we have any advice on alternatives to conventional antibiotics. We did not have any dynamic options to offer until we ran into a desperate situation almost a year ago while we were expanding our flocks in preparation for moving into our new chicken house at our current Leola location. We bought hundreds of exotic birds from well known and highly credentialled breeders throughout the US--breeders that have a reputation for breeding show quality birds and offering imported bloodlines. They (these breeders) have also been tested clean for Typhoid, Polorum, Avian Influenza, Salmonella, and E-Coli by the NPIP with papers to prove it. However, sad to say, allot of these birds were infected with acute cases of URI---not in the NPIP screening process---and after we learned of it, we immediately quarantined and treated them. As back up, we had 3 separate locations (miles apart) to house our birds and took the utmost precautions necessary to ensure the birds we sell are in good health. Also, we have a rigorous prescreening process birds undergo prior to when we sell them. We did not want to use conventional antibiotics as we are predisposed against the health risks/side effects associated with them. After contacting an herbal formulator in Ohio with a reputation of successfully treating all kinds of animals naturally, including puppies, we came up with an all natural, organically based, high potency formula to cure the birds that were infected, and praise God, it worked marvelously and now we use it exclusively with our birds as a seasonal fowl conditioner and also have tested it with our chicks as a possible alternative to amprolium medication. So far we are persuaded it is a viable and working alternative.

What you must understand is that I don't accuse these breeders for selling us sick birds, even though they charged us a small fortune for these rare and endangered breeds. Why do I say this? Because I know how prevalent and unavoidable airborne viruses can be especially during a cold winter. Not to mention that URI is currently at an all time high nationwide on account of the rise in people now tending backyard flocks. Also, the state of Texas is currently facing a severe crisis with IB and MG. Recently in Washington they had to commit several hundred birds due to the big virus problem.

Since we launched HCT (Happy Chicken Tonic) we are overwhelmed by the amount of requests we receive on a daily basis from customers who are looking for help with their poultry URI. From as far up the East Coast as New Hampshire, we are receiving requests to ship the tonic asap. Just recently we had one of the biggest chicken bloggers in America with a FB audience of 400K and with 10,000 blog visitors daily, asking us to ship them the tonic as these problems currently persist and are growing. So to pin us down for your birds contracting an airborne virus at a time when it is a national epidemic is to me a bit outrageous. Especially since you can't provide a clear connection to us and you mention this months after acquiring our birds.

If any have doubts about the health and maintenance of our flocks, all they need do is come out to our Leola hatchery location and take a tour of our main house and brooding facility to verify the rearing conditions and the health of our birds. We do have bio-security measures in place and guidelines our customers must observe when coming to our farm, but otherwise, we give them a first hand and reasonably close up introduction to our operation.

Daniele, let me humbly suggest you do your homework on poultry problems and risks prior to purchasing birds from breeders and leveling impossible expectations on folks who are doing everything possible to sell healthy and viable birds to their customers.
God bless you!
John A.

Given that respiratory infections have an incubation period of one to two weeks, I find it hard to believe that you could purchase chickens in December and then have them die of an illness they had all along in February.

First off, I stand by my review because MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE was awful. That is the point of being able to reviews.. to give your experience. In your email, you stated that ALL chickens have lice. This is simply untrue. And the bald spot was not just a spot, her ENTIRE back was bald and crusty. This was not simply due to feather picking. I contacted a well known professional about my situation and was told, just as I thought, that NO reputable breeder would sell a 6 week old chicken with mites or lice. Someone who has been in the business for MUCH longer than you. The cocci wasn't that big of a concern, I am completely aware of how common that is. I think it is very funny how you keep accusing me of being uninformed, but I promise you I have done my homework and your chickens are certainly not the first chickens I have purchased. LFF is simply the only place where I have had so many issues. The CRD absolutely came from your chicken as there were simply no other options as to where it could have come from. My chickens are not free range, and wild birds have no way of coming into their run or leaving dropping in there. I am NEVER around any other chickens besides my own, so that also isn't an option. And the illness showed up within weeks of purchasing your chickens, starting with the one purchased from you. You keep trying to tell me this is due to that and so on and so forth, but you really don't know because you haven't examined my chickens now have you? There is nothing you can try to explain to me that I don't already know. I have educated myself VERY well from day one and when I am unsure about something, I consult the help of, like I said, someone who has been in the business for a very long time. I have EVERY right to inform people of my experience, and will continue to do so when I find necessary. I am HEARTBROKEN over the fact that all of my chickens are sick, and quite frankly, I am p*ssed. I have taken AMAZING care of all of my chickens, who were in perfect health until I purchased from LFF. To be honest, it makes me more mad that you are trying to make delete what I have written. That is how I feel, that is my experience, I shouldn't have to hide that. You can't please everyone, right?

Last edited:
Your email to me where you say you are sorry I feel this way (NOT APOLOGIZING FOR THE ISSUES), say that EVERY chicken has lice, and assume I am new to chickens. This isn't you caring whatsoever about my bad experience, just you wanting my reviews taken down-

Hi Danielle
I was on my facebook page and noticed you placed a bad review about us there. Your complaint is that you picked up a chicken with a bald spot, cocci, and chicken lice. I'm sorry you feel this way. But first, you should know that you picked up a juvenile younger than 16 weeks old. Chickens are treated for cocci until they are 16 weeks old because simple factors such as stress, transition into a new environment, or competition can trigger an outbreak of cocci in their internal systems within minutes. Cocci is very common and it's in the environment. There is simply nothing we can do to keep a chicken from getting it and that's why continuing the use of medicated chick feed with birds that are in a transition is very important. We take care of it from our end, but once they leave us we can't stop any recurrence. Notice this quote: Chickens can be affected by cocci even with the best coop sanitation and flock management practices. The key to keeping chickens healthy is learning to control the spread of the disease, recognizing the symptoms when they occur, obtaining a definitive diagnosis and knowing how to treat an affected bird. Here is more info about cocci: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Also, for cocci, if you want fast results, try using Sulmet. It works in a hurry to cure cocci.

Regarding chicken lice, we can't stop those from getting into our brooding facilities either. Those are everywhere and EVERY chicken has them: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html. The best we can do is control the numbers by using Friproguard spray, a generic Frontline. As far as the bald spot, our birds are not debeaked and we advice in our policy in point 10 that you might find feather pecking evidence in our birds on account of the fact that we don't clip our birds' beaks and they like to peck on each other as chickens do. My guess is that you are new to chickens and haven't learned all these things yet, but now that you understand these common problems and that we are most proactive about them, but are limited in what we can do for an outdoor critter such as the chicken. After all, we don't raise them in our house, and I'm sure you won't either.

So would you please consider removing your statements from BYC and from Facebook as those things to the inexperienced chicken keepers make us look like we don't care for our birds, which is completely untrue.
God bless,
John A.

I think it's really funny how I am the one who ended up with two sick chickens, one of which made ALL my chickens sick, yet I am the one being questioned. If someone can't deal with a negative review and facts, then perhaps they shouldn't own a business. I don't need to do all of that to know where the CRD came from. Some things are common sense when there were no other options of where it came from. As I said, my chickens are NOT free range, nor do outside birds have access to their coop and run. I am not around other birds of any sort, and biosecurity measures are used when my husband or myself enter the run. There are no other possibilities as all my other chickens were purchased as chicks, these are the only outside birds I have ever brought in. And, as I have said, the sickness started right after I brought the new birds in. I HIGHLY doubt that's a coincidence. It's pretty sh*tty that I am being attacked for simply stating FACTS of what happened after I purchased chickens from LFF. When I am the one who has to now decide whether to have a closed flock, or to cull them all and start fresh. These are our pets, not just a food source. I have every right to be upset.

I had posted previously about getting 2 chickens, one with cocci and mites. Turns out, the other chicken had CRD now ALL of my chickens are sick and one is dead. And yes, I am 100% positive this is where the illness came from. And I can promise you, even after John was made aware of the chick with mites and cocci, there was NO trying to make anything right. The only thing he did was disable reviews from his facebook and send me and email attempting to justify my sick chicken. Now I see him advertising some "miracle" medication, saying that he has personally TESTED IT on chickens with forms of respiratory illness. Well.. now we know he has chickens that are sick.

Dennis at Eureka Farms up in Pottstown PA has midget white turkeys. Really small operation, but very clean and he is super knowledgeable. We just got some chicks from him. Wonderful experience! No shipping, but road trip? More info at http://www.eureka-farm.com/. He is also on this site - https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/249441/dheltzel

Personal experience with another "dealer" I bought from in October 2014. Chickens came down with fowl pox a week ago, oh and one died of mareks a month ago. It is not the fault of the seller who I purchased from in October...it is my fault or not, it's all a crap shoot, wild birds, weakness of genes, cold weather..who knows. LFF would not continue to try to help customers or even be in business if they had such horrible issues. I can not wait to get my Marek's vaccinated chicks (and Pullets) this month(fingers crossed) from LFF.

Back
Top Bottom