Beware Lancaster Fancy Fowl

That which says animals who have been selectively bred for domestication are inherently dependent on their human caretakers, because the wild traits have been bred out or bred down to such an extent that life in the wild is almost impossible, so it is up to the choice of the human caretakers to decide on the safest and best ways to care for them (abuse and neglect not withstanding, of course)?

When we take on animals, their health and safety is priority (after all, a dead animal can't enjoy its life). Different animals in different areas require different accommodations and care. If climate or predator load requires indoor keeping, then they'll be kept indoors by a person who prioritizes their safety.

Last edited:
I don't like them being kept solely indoors, but it's also better than freezing to death, dying from heat stroke, or being eaten alive by a wild animal. Most chickens lack the defenses a wild bird has, so it's up to their humans to keep them healthy and safe.

Now, unhealthy birds shouldn't be sold, but not all unhealthy animals show outward signs of being sick. And when dealing with living things, sickness is eventually inevitable. Abuse is wrong 100% of the time. So is real neglect. But, if indoors is the safest, most reasonable, place for them in that particular location, then it's better than the alternative (slow dying from exposure or blood loss, thanks to a predator).

I see in Enola's case that they would need to be indoors (not that he has to care about my approval, and I am sure he does not) if he kept them. But if I were in a situation where the birds could not be outside at all, I would give them to someone who could have them outside. It just would not seem fair to them - like giving your horses to someone with a farm if you had to move into a half acre plot.

I just do not see how this relates with Lancaster Fancy Fowl and other hatcheries. If they cannot have them outside, they are either biting off more than they can chew, they only see the birds as profit, or they have been misled by university and factory farm propaganda.

Free Feather, I am sorry that my method of keeping my chickens upsets you so much. But, my chickens are livestock, not my pets, and not my children or family members. They have a purpose they fulfill, eggs and meat. In order for them to accomish this for me, they MUST be kept indoors. Letting them free range would get them murdered, which I feel is inhumane neglect and cruelty.

This thread has strayed a long way from the original purpose. I would like to take this opportunity to ask that all further posts on this thread stay on topic. If you feel that "proper housing" of poultry be discussed further, ease start another thread or take it to PM's. Thank you, have a good evening.

I see in Enola's case that they would need to be indoors (not that he has to care about my approval, and I am sure he does not) if he kept them. But if I were in a situation where the birds could not be outside at all, I would give them to someone who could have them outside. It just would not seem fair to them - like giving your horses to someone with a farm if you had to move into a half acre plot.

I just do not see how this relates with Lancaster Fancy Fowl and other hatcheries. If they cannot have them outside, they are either biting off more than they can chew, they only see the birds as profit, or they have been misled by university and factory farm propaganda.
What you think is "fair" is entirely your opinion - and isn't a fact.

Birds are kept inside by large hatcheries/farms/etc because it leads to lower disease risk, lower predator threats, less injuries, climate control, etc. It's more expensive to keep birds inside, but it leads to such drastically lower mortality numbers that it more than evens out.

Your opinion that they're inherently less healthy/happy/etc inside just isn't backed up by anything.

im guessing quarantine is just a suggestion based on worthless science.
To the owners of LFF im truly sorry that this post is here. I guess you already knew that some day this was coming no matter how hard you tried to help your customers. I personally wouldn't sell a live stock item to half the people on here.
For a few bucks profit they expect a life time guarantee against anything. I wouldn't be surprised if you have had a customer ask for a replacement if a fox ate one of there chicks based on the premise that the chick did not come with a warning sign tattooed on its backside saying "caution this chick may be to tasty for a fox to resist".
Time to go sing a lullaby to my chicks or they wont be able to sleep tonight. (cuckoo cuckoo)

Back
Top Bottom