Bf just told me he doesn't know what to get me for xmas that isn't

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Songster
10 Years
Jan 23, 2010
Berry Creek, Ca
four legged.. "And don't say a chicken!" He says.
gig.gif
Haha how could I not laugh!! Only he was already upset because I told him I ordered him something online today. Spent $11 and $4 for shipping.. Not a big gift.. A wallet actually because his is falling apart, literally. So anyways, he said I wont tell him what I want.. I suggested going in on halves on a game cam because I really want one.. He says I only want a goat.. or.. or.. or..
idunno.gif
or what? I told him I wanted to get a goat or 2 in the spring. and I dont need his help getting chickens obviously.. But we've been together 2 1/2 years and living together for practically that long! How could he not be able to think of anything to get me? He was upset about it too. I dont want to pick out my own gift and I did suggest something. 2 years ago he got me a sewing maching for Christmas. It was like he took me to the store a few weeks before xmas and let me pick one out and bought it on the spot. I even told him he could get me a bag a chicken feed or cat food. Growing up my mom was always big on gift giving and holidays. Living with him is so much different because we really dont exchange gifts for birthdays and christmas, he's not really into it and 'never knows what to get'. Its hard to get used to and I keep trying to get him to..

That whole gift giving thing can be so hard. Sometimes its easy but, boy, when its not, it sucks! I struggle to buy for my husband, he likes to get gifts but doesnt like to give ideas. We have been together for 14 years, married for 12 of them. I start early writing a list so he can pick from it and I am still surprised. I wish he would do that for me. I asked for 2 flock blocks for my 2 flocks, dh said, "I don't want to get you chicken food". I told him its not food, its a treat that I can't afford but really want them so they would be appreciated. Its not the gift, its the thought that counts, whether he thought of it or me. He will not buy me vacuums or any housework items, I do appreciate that. Help him out, give him some ideas and get what you want, rather then some goofy off the wall gift that makes you both feel bad. It never works to try to change them, only causes discontent. Just keep in mind what attracted you in the first place and run with that. Merry Christmas!

I like the list idea. My dh isn't much into gift buying during specific holiday events,but he will pick up things he things I might like. I have had to let him know things like I would rather have a plant than cut flowers,or a pile of topsoil instead of a diamond bracelet. I like practical things.
Even a holiday bag filled with my favorite toiletries(sp) or foods would be a happy gift for me. I accept all things with politeness,but if I am getting a mop or an iron I might start giving hints for other things I would prefer.

Lol, I remember one year dh got me a scale.I loved it. He still recalls a fellow male shopper telling him," Getting your wife a scale? Good luck with that!"

My mom she can always come up with the greatest gifts to give someone.They always say,"I would have never thought of this. I love it!". Mine are sometimes lame but useful items. People who say they have no idea what to get you really could use a list or a few cues. I know I need that sometimes whth my mom and one friend. If I can't figure out anything I give them gift cards.

The problem is not him, it's you. You are not the "typical girl" as portrayed by social media. That's my husband's problem. He can't just go and choose some overrated, over priced, carbon copy gift off the shelf. He has to think about mine.

Jewelry - nope, don't wear it. Flowers - only if the roots are still there, Clothing - uh...no, Techie gifts - whatever.

I'm going through the same thing with my bf. This is our first official Christmas together and my first one without my 21 year old daughter, so I'm already kinda torn between being excited and bummed out. My bf didn't get me a birthday gift last month because he's not into the gift giving thing. His family just isn't that way. I've got him a stack of presents all wrapped up and ready to go and stocking stuffers and such because that's how I was raised, but as far as I know, there's nothing for me. I realize that sounds sorta selfish, but I want him to think of me and what I'd like, even if it is just something small...but meaningful. I wrote out a list of things I'd like, some things were freebies, but would take him a bit of time to gather together. And for stocking stuffers, my mom always just did toothbrushes, travel sized toiletries, socks, candy, gum, little stuff that was fun to pull out of the stocking. That stuff is easy, but I don't think he's doing that either. I feel like a brat. I guess I'll just get my Christmas jollies watching him open his stuff. It is supposed to be about giving, not receiving, even if that's hard to take sometimes.
hmm.png

My husband (now ex) once asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I wouldn't tell him. I thought he should decide. I ended up with a snowman sweatsuit that was a size 26! I was a size 8. I see did someone else wearing the same one....it was the elderly lady on the Hoveround commercial. Did I mention I was in my 20s at the time?
th.gif

I learned the hard way to just tell them what you want. A list for him to chose from would work too.
wink.png

Last edited:
I told my fiance to get me something chicken related. She got me chicken books. I realllllly wanted an incubator
lol.png

You sound just like me. I always want something furry/fluffy/feathered for presents (or presents related to said animals).
gig.gif

My husband has given up. I told him that all I wanted was to hatch as many eggs as I wanted. He said "done"!

He doesn't know...but he's got a truck detailing awaiting him!! Shhh!!

Thanks guys! I'd get him a whole stack of things and not expect anything back except it makes him feel so bad, which then makes me feel terrible! I can come up with gifts for anybody. Numerous things at that, I get it from my mom. Maybe I will start a list early, next year. Except even when we do say were gonna exchange sometimes life just gets in the way. Up until very recently I was working overnights so we didn't see eachother all that much. So last valentines day I told him I wanted rose bushes and I was gonna get him ratchet straps. We just never got around to it..

Also the flowers or a card on our aniversary was an unknown thing to him. I still get cut flowers but don't complain because at least he thought of me! Then I hint at orchids and a potted plant whenever we see them. He's so forgetful though!

Over the past month or so we've talked about many things I wanted to do. I really wanted to make log reindeer this year. We didn't get around to it because I've been away every weekend.

I did start a list. It consists of 2x4's, 1/2" hardware cloth, and things like that! I also need stuff to attach all the roofing panels I have and he could even put them up for me on 1 coop because he'll probably be doing it anyways. I just hate asking because I dont know whats too much to ask for.

I already got the 'ignore' on all my hatching and animal wants and needs. Heck we have 10 cats, enough chickens that I try not to count them(ooh curiosity told me I only have 9 hens, 2 roosters, and 3 cockerels
jumpy.gif
), 3 ducks, and 9 quail babies! Maybe he'll give me a day pass to drive and pick up 3 guinea keets or some fertile eggs I really want.. because he knows I'll go and do it anyways. Plus I was already going to ask him to do this with/for me.

Back
Top Bottom