Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
Bean was one of my surprise chicks from McMurray, and he is the most gorgeous surprise chick ever!!
Do you have pictures of your eggs? I’m curious about the shade of brown.

No I didn't take a picture of the egg's. The guy did pack them very well though, and they arrived in good shape. I let them rest and then put them in the incubator this morning. They are different shades of brown some being darker then other's, but that could also be from what part of the laying stage that each hen was in. I just hope that I can get some of these 11 egg's to hatch.

I’ve just acquired a Bielefelder cockerel from a friend and an Auracana cockerel too. Only 16 weeks old. Grew up together and as my old rooster just passed away I need some boys to keep my 25 pullets in line. They are a heritage breed mix ( miller’s hatcheries in Westlock, Alberta. Canada). Good layers. Large pink, brown, tan, cream eggs.
The boys are in isolation together for the next 30 days until they’re dewormed etc.

Any tips on picking between cockerels at a young age? Looking at everybody's pictures, mine don't seem to have much red in them. Here's a poor picture of mine at 8 weeks. One has grown faster, the other is slightly tamer. The tamer one has more red in him than the large one. Any idea what age they'll no longer be able to be kept together?

Attachments

• PXL_20211019_141607726~2.jpg
    PXL_20211019_141607726~2.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 8
Any tips on picking between cockerels at a young age? Looking at everybody's pictures, mine don't seem to have much red in them. Here's a poor picture of mine at 8 weeks. One has grown faster, the other is slightly tamer. The tamer one has more red in him than the large one. Any idea what age they'll no longer be able to be kept together?
What are your goals for your flock?

I just made my first ebay purchase on some Bielefelder hatching egg's that they say should be here on Nov. 3rd.
Please keep us posted on your luck with buying from Ebay, shipping condition, autosexing at hatch, etc. I am concerned about shipping live chicks if the * hits the fan. This world is getting nuts with delays.

What are your goals for your flock?
These are my first chickens, so I'm really still working things out and deciding what I enjoy. I do want to breed for fun though. Aggressive roosters are a no though - hence I'm wondering if I decide based on personality. Second to that, I would like to conform to the standard. Only problem is I didn't have any females hatch! Plan to get some in the spring.

Please keep us posted on your luck with buying from Ebay, shipping condition, autosexing at hatch, etc. I am concerned about shipping live chicks if the * hits the fan. This world is getting nuts with delays.
Mine were definitely autosexing. One of my two I correctly identified based on the bit of bright yellow fluff poking out of the pip hole!

I did have horrible luck with shipped eggs. I had 2/24 hatch - and both of them were malpositioned. I had six breeds and only Bielefelder's hatched so that might bode well for them. They seemed to be packaged well, but I think the post office was too rough. However, I also ordered from sea level and hatched at 5000' which I've since learned can affect hatching rates.

Back
Top Bottom