Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
I have also been considering adding bielefelders. How are they as far as predator awareness and free-ranging / foraging? They seem to have good coloration for survival, but I have neighbors who have lost chickens to hawks and I would like to avoid that. My current flock is in a run with aviary netting over it and they have survived since last spring. If I add to my flock, I don't know how much I can enlarge the run, and I would like to free range more anyway.
Everyone talks about how docile and friendly they are which makes me wonder if they are also alert, or more like naive and unreasonably friendly to everything including predators
Does anyone have any relevant experience to share?

And also, I'm in Western Pennsylvania a bit east of Pittsburgh. Does anyone know anyone who breeds them in this area(Ohio, Pa, Wv)?

Thanks
I have a couple Biels and I wish I had more. They’re smart, friendly, large, cold hardy, and are an auto-sexing breed. I had to rehome my cockerel as we are not allowed to have roosters. I’m in MN and I know a good small breeder who will ship chicks when the weather warms up.

More Bielefelder hatching egg's got delivered to my door about a half hour ago. I have them unpacked and sitting in an egg carton to rest and settle the aircells. I ordered a dozen, and received 14 with none being cracked or broken. The packing looked good, and they shipped from out of Granbury, Tx. this time (a different breeder). They have to rest for about 24 hour's before I will put them in the incubator.

I think this guy is such a pretty rooster, 24 weeks old. He is very alert, eyes always on the sky as seen here. He has shown absolutely no aggression yet. Just wish I'd managed to hatch some females!

Attachments

• IMG_20220209_145306382_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220209_145306382_HDR~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Beautiful. Is he SOP worthy?

I'd love to know how he compares and what his faults are. I have no experience comparing to SOP though.

He came from Alchemist farms. The other rooster that hatched was very similar with a few more tiny points on his comb and slightly darker plumage. Sadly I culled him as he had persistent crackly breathing and I didn't feel right selling him even though he acted healthy. No room for two roosters here.

Alchemist farms was great to work with, but I learned my lesson. Don't bring eggs from sea level to 5000ft and expect much to hatch - 2 out of 24 😬
They do sell chicks to though.

I'd love to know how he compares and what his faults are. I have no experience comparing to SOP though.

He came from Alchemist farms. The other rooster that hatched was very similar with a few more tiny points on his comb and slightly darker plumage. Sadly I culled him as he had persistent crackly breathing and I didn't feel right selling him even though he acted healthy. No room for two roosters here.

Alchemist farms was great to work with, but I learned my lesson. Don't bring eggs from sea level to 5000ft and expect much to hatch - 2 out of 24 😬
They do sell chicks to though.
Ooooooh, did not consider that…. If my eggs ever make it to me, I hope I hatch something 😩

We have two Bielefelder pullets arriving tomorrow 🤞🏼 Super excited about them and hoping they live up to the hype 😉

Back
Top Bottom