Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
🤦‍♀️ DUH. I totally missed the "breeder" spec in your post. Sorry about that. I hope you find some high quality birds!

I was thinking about Bielefelders for a bit. The autosexing aspect is really attractive. I don't really have room for more birds right now, and it'll be a hard sell to get DH on board with enlarging the coop again.
Thankfully I do all my coop building and my sweet husband is very tolerant of my chicken fetish. 😄

Yes that's why I asked here in the Bielefelder thread.. about Bielefelders.. which are crele, barred gold duckwing..
For the auto sexing to work my understanding is they need to be barred hens (b/-) and homozygous barred roos (b/b).

I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that you should have some sexing, but you would be unable to tell with some male offspring. With a heterozygous roo, and a barred hen, only half the male offspring will show the spot from double barring. So 3/4 of the chicks would look the same and 1 in 3 of those would be male while 1/4 of the total hatch would be homozygous males with the double barring and head spot.

That's my understanding from high school biology and what I've picked up about chicken genetics so far, and it's worth what you paid for it. :idunno

I went back to the store to see what had arrived today. BIG mistake, huge. My chicken math got out of hand...

So now I have these two (and two salmon favorelles, one I think might be a roo since I bought impulsively and didn't research, still early, fingers crossed)

Anyway, these were bought mostly impulsively. I have done a some reading on the breed but not the part about being able to sex them by color. What are the chances that these two (the last two Bielefelder in the store) happen to be pullets? The look like it to me, but if so it is dumb 🤞🤞🤞🤞 PXL_20220401_023525405.jpg PXL_20220401_023436760.jpg

I went back to the store to see what had arrived today. BIG mistake, huge. My chicken math got out of hand...

So now I have these two (and two salmon favorelles, one I think might be a roo since I bought impulsively and didn't research, still early, fingers crossed)

Anyway, these were bought mostly impulsively. I have done a some reading on the breed but not the part about being able to sex them by color. What are the chances that these two (the last two Bielefelder in the store) happen to be pullets? The look like it to me, but if so it is dumb 🤞🤞🤞🤞View attachment 3045251View attachment 3045253
Both of those are pullet's. No white or yellow dot on the head's. Back's of the males are also lighter colored then that.

Happy Easter!!!!!!!!!!! But also sadly barbara died last night.😭 I have no idea how she died I just found her at the bottom of the night cage completely no bite marks or anything!
If anyone knows what happened please let me know. thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom