Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
I have my 1st Bielefelder in a mix flock of 3 chicks (to be added to my 3 2-year olds). She's adorable and very sweet and enjoys being held and petted.

The 3 chicks are 7.5 weeks old and they are currently spending all day outside. It's about 80 degrees and my Bielee is panting with her mouth open audibly! She's in the shade and there's a slight breeze. I'm worried she seems so hot. The other 2 (EE and Ameraucana) don't seem to mind the heat like she does.

Is this a Bielee trait? Should I be concerned? She's healthy otherwise and carries on regular chicken business haha just fine. I'm just surprised she seems so hot at a mere 80 degrees!

I set out a shallow pan of cold water that she will stand in to help cool off and drink from too.

Attachments

• 20230518_153714.jpg
    20230518_153714.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I have my 1st Bielefelder in a mix flock of 3 chicks (to be added to my 3 2-year olds). She's adorable and very sweet and enjoys being held and petted.

The 3 chicks are 7.5 weeks old and they are currently spending all day outside. It's about 80 degrees and my Bielee is panting with her mouth open audibly! She's in the shade and there's a slight breeze. I'm worried she seems so hot. The other 2 (EE and Ameraucana) don't seem to mind the heat like she does.

Is this a Bielee trait? Should I be concerned? She's healthy otherwise and carries on regular chicken business haha just fine. I'm just surprised she seems so hot at a mere 80 degrees!

I set out a shallow pan of cold water that she will stand in to help cool off and drink from too.
Yes, they like to stand in the water pans as chickens cool off through their feet. You can add some ice to their drinking water, and your whole flock can enjoy it.

I live in the desert in Arizona, and my flock of Bielefelders made it through last summer, and I'm hatching from them now.

Yes, they like to stand in the water pans as chickens cool off through their feet. You can add some ice to their drinking water, and your whole flock can enjoy it.

I live in the desert in Arizona, and my flock of Bielefelders made it through last summer, and I'm hatching from them now.
Ok thanks! Yeah I live in Seattle so definitely cooler than where you are! Just didn't know if they were a super sensitive breed. Maybe she'll acclimate.

Tomorrow is play with chick day. I've given them a few days to figure things out. They run around, eat, drink, go back under the heater plate when they need to, hop up on it, hop down off it, and seem to be vibrant and healthy.

I did clean 3 slightly pasty butts two days ago. I think they ate some shavings...? That seems to be all cleared up now.

If all four of the Biels are out, I can tell them apart. There are two that have more chipmunk-y stripes on their heads than the other two. Those are Pip and Squeak. The less striped ones are Sunny and Robin. But if only one of either pair is out from under the heater, I'm not certain who's who.

Button, my Blue Australorp, is obvious. :) DH says he's named her Xena. :rolleyes: No dear, her name is Button. As in, cute as a.

Chicks arrived! Got a call from the post office at 4:20 this morning, threw on some clothes, poured a mug of coffee, and headed out to pick them up. They started drinking sugar water with Quik Chik and eating crumbles immediately. McMurry added an extra chick and all but one appear strong and lively. Keeping an eye on the sleepy, weak one. They're all under the brooder plate now but I'll get some pictures when they venture out. They are so sweet! 🥰

I was too tired to count correctly. McMurray sent two extra chicks, even though I noted on my order no extras. So I ordered six females hoping they would be easily sexed, but there are a couple that look a little iffy to me with a touch of white on their heads. What do you all think I've got here?

Attachments

• chicks3.jpg
    chicks3.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 12
  • chicks2.jpg
    chicks2.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 11
  • chick1.jpg
    chick1.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 12
I was too tired to count correctly. McMurray sent two extra chicks, even though I noted on my order no extras. So I ordered six females hoping they would be easily sexed, but there are a couple that look a little iffy to me with a touch of white on their heads. What do you all think I've got here?
that head spot is concerning, but the eyeliner is very dark and distinct. I would cautiously say pullet. The males are generally lighter overall than the pullets. It's hard to see much in the picture you posted, but that is another clue you can consider.

Autosexing breeds need to be bred properly to maintain the traits. I have my 2 lightest male chicks tagged to evaluate for breeding later, and my lightest female tagged to avoid breeding, to preserve the autosexing in my flock.

that head spot is concerning, but the eyeliner is very dark and distinct. I would cautiously say pullet. The males are generally lighter overall than the pullets. It's hard to see much in the picture you posted, but that is another clue you can consider.

Autosexing breeds need to be bred properly to maintain the traits. I have my 2 lightest male chicks tagged to evaluate for breeding later, and my lightest female tagged to avoid breeding, to preserve the autosexing in my flock.
That's a good idea to do it like that.

Back
Top Bottom