Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
Convenient, but didn't they scratch it apart? My girls are really into scratching. Everything goes flying!
I put 3 layer's of them in there, and only the top one get's messed up by them. Since the bottom layer's aren't messed up I can still fold the whole thing towards the center and then throw in the trash.

Edit: Make sure that you have the layer's over lapped.

Convenient, but didn't they scratch it apart? My girls are really into scratching. Everything goes flying!
Yeah they will eventually. I put shavings in the brooder after first 3-4 days but left a clean pad underneath to help with cleanup. I also put part of another one right under where the waterer was, in case chicks (or me LoL) spilled the water to help asborb it.

Yeah they will eventually. I put shavings in the brooder after first 3-4 days but left a clean pad underneath to help with cleanup. I also put part of another one right under where the waterer was, in case chicks (or me LoL) spilled the water to help asborb it.
Yes, they are great for catching and absorbing any water spill's like that.

I see you're in Seattle! Are you familiar with Spring Creek Heritage Farm in Bellingham? They raise Biels (and silver Biels) as well as a few other breeds. If I order chicks again I'd like to find something local so thinking maybe this place. The five days shipping from McMurray was too much!
Hi. Yes I actually initially placed an order for 3 'color pack layers' from them in early Mar. Was hoping to get the chicks by the end of that month. But they got so backed up since the hens weren't fully in the swing of things yet. And they do not use artificial light and let their hens take a natural break in the winter which is wonderful. But I didn't want to wait until May/Jun. They were going to offer non-colored layers only but I really wanted some colors. So I ended up canceling my order. They were gracious and gave me credit for future.
I ended up getting my chicks (including my Bielee) from a lady in Covington who orders a bunch from the big hatcheries and sells them on Craigslist. It was a great experience and worked out well.

I just used puppy pee pad's in my brooder. They absorb any moisture as there is a layer of plastic on the bottom. Easy to clean out, just fold all of it towards the middle, and throw away.
I use puppy pads or paper towels in the beginning too, but once they are past a few days, I move onto the paper. It's really just so their tiny feet have something to grip when they are brand new. 😍

Can you share what kind of paper bedding you're using? I'd like to give it a try but looks like I'll have to buy online and there is an endless variety to choose from. Shredded, crinkled, shaved, recycled, brown white, small animal, large animal, very fine shredded and not so fine shredded, even colored! :idunno
OMG it's ridiculous. I just use what is available at the local TSC, and I find it in the small animal section. White, brown, rainbow, whatever is cheapest is fine. They will poop and pee in it, and you will throw it away / compost it lol.

Mine looks like this, but the chicks would probably like crinkle, too. I would think crinkle probably costs more? But I didn't do a whole comparitive analysis. 🤷

https://www.amazon.com/Small-Pet-Se...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584207589859559&psc=1

OMG it's ridiculous. I just use what is available at the local TSC, and I find it in the small animal section. White, brown, rainbow, whatever is cheapest is fine. They will poop and pee in it, and you will throw it away / compost it lol.

Mine looks like this, but the chicks would probably like crinkle, too. I would think crinkle probably costs more? But I didn't do a whole comparitive analysis. 🤷

https://www.amazon.com/Small-Pet-Se...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584207589859559&psc=1
Thanks. That looks good enough! :D:D

Two weeks old and getting bigger!

IMG_E3621.JPG
That's Button (Blue Australorp) and Sunny. Tail feathers coming in!
IMG_E3619.JPG

The whole bunch. I added a training roost, but haven't seen them on it yet. It has poop stains from being in the brooder breaker crate.

Dang, they're cute!

Back
Top Bottom