Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
Ah so she's been laying for a while. I thought double-yolkers were something more common in new layers.
My Bielee is a little over 5 months so we're still waiting...
Yes, that's what I was told too. She recently finished molting, and finally started laying again. I have a whole flock of the Bielefelder's that I hatched out from hatching egg's from different states (some last year and some this year). I figured doing it that way would widen my gene pool.

Yes, that's what I was told too. She recently finished molting, and finally started laying again. I have a whole flock of the Bielefelder's that I hatched out from hatching egg's from different states (some last year and some this year). I figured doing it that way would widen my gene pool.
Oh wow do you breed them or just have them for fun? I have a mixed flock of 6 girls and just one Bielefelder.

Oh wow do you breed them or just have them for fun? I have a mixed flock of 6 girls and just one Bielefelder.
I don't breed them as I have 2 rooster's that handle that job very well. :gigI have sold hatching egg's, chick's, and extras I might have, but only locally here in Arizona. My flock isn't mixed. I only have Bielefelder's and Welsh Harlequin duck's over here.

17 weeks old last Sunday. Hoping they start before the rest of my hens all molt and stop. We're getting 1 egg a day here. Yesterday, I made fried rice with (cough cough) store bought eggs.
It is so painful to have to buy eggs! 😫
I've read that Bielefelders lay through winter which would be great since my others do not. 2 of them took off 4 months!

So I’ve never actually owned this breed, but I’m getting 4 hens early June. I’ve always found this breed very fascinating and think they deserve more attention because they are so pretty and apparently they’re super friendly. I wanted to start a thread focused around everything Bielefelders, so we can all enjoy everything great they offer. Even if you don’t own Bielefelders, please still join to see these amazing chickens!

-ChickenWhisperer101
Hi,
I have this breed (2 Roosters, 5 hens, 4 pullets). Bought my starter flock from Omega Hills Farm (5F, 3M is how he sells, gave 1 Roo to my daughter). Then ordered 4 Females from Cackle as wanted the M/F ratio to be better & was concerned if I lost a Roo I would be in bad shape (my daughter's Roo was killed by a hawk when she let her chickens out of the pen for about an hour so no alternative there). Okay, enough back story.
You will love this breed if you like laid back chickens who seem to love humans, and if you can wait for eggs as mine didn't start laying until 7 & 8 months old. My flock from Omega Hills hatched January 31st; my 4 from Cackle hatched April 10th and they still haven't laid. Also be aware they are not only big, they are big eaters.
I have 35 chickens (Cream Legbars, Welsummers, Buff Orps, Speckled Sussex, and Cochins) & none of them eat like the Bieles but I love their personality so much & they're absolutely gorgeous that I just take the "hit" of paying a little more for extra feed.
Both my roosters are and always have been perfect gentlemen. They are also very good at taking care of their girls - keeping an eye out for predators, being the last to go into the coop at night - actually wait outside the door until all the ladies are in lol!

Back
Top Bottom