Birchen Marans Thread

Pics
15091195460411249851156-jpg.1170976

@ Bantambird

your cockerel has a stunning body type and gorgeous tail .
love who his feet are well apart and straight .

chooks man

Man, I should have gotten a picture of sweetie. I realized we had the only Marans at the poultry show where I and my daughter were showing. I was quite surprised! I'm thinking our splash pullet would have done better if I had actual show pens to prevent sun and weather damage.

Question: I have scanned lots of pics online for birchen marans but cant seem to get many with photos of thigh feathers with silver and am curious about feather colors on the thigh... I have 4 chicks that are supposed to be pure birchen marans... they are about 4 weeks old. 3 of the four have silver (white) feathers on the thigh... my question is... (1) is this normal, good, bad indifferent... and (2) does this tell me they will be roos... i ask the 2nd question cause 1 of the 3 looks like a roo for sure the others have no roo sighs so far. Thanks. Here are some pics.. sorry for poor quality

Attachments

• IMG_1966.JPG
    IMG_1966.JPG
    369.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1967.JPG
    IMG_1967.JPG
    605.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1968.JPG
    IMG_1968.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1969.JPG
    IMG_1969.JPG
    416.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    339 KB · Views: 13
Question: I have scanned lots of pics online for birchen marans but cant seem to get many with photos of thigh feathers with silver and am curious about feather colors on the thigh... I have 4 chicks that are supposed to be pure birchen marans... they are about 4 weeks old. 3 of the four have silver (white) feathers on the thigh... my question is... (1) is this normal, good, bad indifferent... and (2) does this tell me they will be roos... i ask the 2nd question cause 1 of the 3 looks like a roo for sure the others have no roo sighs so far. Thanks. Here are some pics.. sorry for poor quality

I can t tell you if they are Birchen or Black copper .but I can tell tell you ,,they are a good marans type chciks. love they eyes .
don t worry too much about the white .will molt out soon .

chooks man

2 with they head on the photos are cockerels .the others I can t see they head

chooks man

My Marans look that way at that age too.
They won't see their final color until they reach maturity. Sometimes colors don't settle until 18 months in some cases! Marans are a slower maturing bird.

Last edited:
IMG-0316.JPG
Hey everyone. Trying to do better with my birchens. My breeding pair was lost to a predator during the day and I set the eggs the hen left behind. Hoping to get more from the breeder this season. UGH. Anyways my guy is steady growing up. His name is sweetjames jones.

He looks so much like his dad!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom