Birchen Marans Thread

Is there a way to contact Harvey Moore for chick sales, besides FB?

I see a few other places where it might be possible to contact him, but I doubt he'd appreciate being bothered about my chicken needs on his autobiographical pages...

...and there's probably a special tax for idiots who do. lol

Saw this thread from a long time ago. Figured I would still post and see what happens.

we are guessing that these roosters may be Marans or Maran crosses. Could anyone confirm and if so which one would be better to put with our barred rock and other lighter brown egg layers in hopes that their little ones would lay darker eggs.

Attachments

• E7A8B8FF-7A0E-45C1-84DD-BB0EDD3083B3.jpeg
    E7A8B8FF-7A0E-45C1-84DD-BB0EDD3083B3.jpeg
    583.5 KB · Views: 9
  • CED74F86-5E66-4673-BAE4-56AFF33F32A9.jpeg
    CED74F86-5E66-4673-BAE4-56AFF33F32A9.jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 8
  • D1CCECB7-9275-4FAB-9CDA-A9DA2CF026BC.jpeg
    D1CCECB7-9275-4FAB-9CDA-A9DA2CF026BC.jpeg
    728.4 KB · Views: 8
Saw this thread from a long time ago. Figured I would still post and see what happens.

we are guessing that these roosters may be Marans or Maran crosses. Could anyone confirm and if so which one would be better to put with our barred rock and other lighter brown egg layers in hopes that their little ones would lay darker eggs.
It's hard to say whether or not those are marans crosses. The first one is potentially closest to a marans, and you can occasionally get clean legged marans. If that first one is a marans, he's got some flaws, but if he's going into a mixed flock that won't matter. The second and third look more like Wyandottes with those Combs, but they could be crosses.
I can't tell you definitively if any of those boys are for sure marans. The first one looks closest. For marans cocks to pass dark shells on, they themselves will need to have hatched from a dark egg.

Hello,

Not sure if this 11 months rooster of mine is a Birchen Marans or maybe a cross?
Perhaps some of you are much more knowledgeable on the subject.
The color is not silvery, is more yellowish and it's I think not widespread enough.
What do you think? Is this a Marans or something completely different? Thanks.
IMG_20200410_102559.jpg

IMG_20200410_093244.jpg

Hello,

Not sure if this 11 months rooster of mine is a Birchen Marans or maybe a cross?
Perhaps some of you are much more knowledgeable on the subject.
The color is not silvery, is more yellowish and it's I think not widespread enough.
What do you think? Is this a Marans or something completely different? Thanks.
View attachment 2087386
View attachment 2087387

he is marans for sure not pure birchen but marans
chooks man

Sorry to jump in to this thread but i bought 6 day old Copper Black pullets in january...... and only got 5, as you can see from the photo. Im trying to identify the fella on the left.
Im not to bothered as i will put him in with the Aruacanas and CCL girls next spring for some olive eggers.
IMG_20200519_102251[1].jpg

Back
Top Bottom