Black Australorp Buff Orpington Cross

How soon were you able to sex them by color ?

Hi Clint,

I am trying to remember. Seems like when they all hatched they were uniform in coloration. . . I suppose then by default, the difference would have become apparent when they started growing their first real feathers. Sorry I can't be of more help . . .​

They laid large nice eggs very well for several years. They slowed down quite a lot this last year. They're now about 6 years of age. I probably got 5 eggs per week out of each hen in their best seasons. The last year got maybe 3 per week per bird. (I am trying the red cayenne pepper trick from another thread. That may jolt them into laying a few.)

As I mentioned to Clint in a post above - I think the chicks were all identical at the point of hatching. I let Jenn take care of them all the way. (That's another happy story . . . ) To the best of my recollection once some adult feathers started coming in it became obvious there were going to be two different color combos. Since I am new to chicken cross breeding I wasn't looking for a sex-link difference. But when all the black/gold turned out female and the males were all b/w I understood I had a sex-link thing going.

I'm going to do this. You just made up my mind on which rooster I'm going to keep. I have 4. 2 australorps and 2 buff orps. I'm keeping the best Buff Orp and try to make these my breed. Beautiful color, nice temperament and decent egg layers.

We will probably be trying this cross next spring. I didn't think that they would be sex links but if anyone has any pictures I would really like to see what these crosses look like.
big_smile.png

Here's what mine look like at 6 or 7 weeks. Very pretty, a little quail like on the back. The daddy was the Roo in my avatar. The mama one of 6 fat Buff Orps.

Black Australorp rooster x Buff Orpington hen = NOT a sexlink

Buff Orpington rooster x Black Australorp hen = IS a sexlink.  Males mature to be white/black, females mature to be buff/black.  However, the newly hatched chicks are hard to sex by color until their feathers start coming in.

Check out this BYC page for a TON of info about making sexlinks. /img/smilies/smile.pnghttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Mr
. Adkerson probably doesn't include the Buff Orpington x Black Australorp cross on his page because they are not a true sexlink, since the chicks can not be sexed by color at hatch.

Yeah....... Don't listen to cowgirl. Read the last paragraph.... Look up the meaning of sex link........ Read the last paragraph again........ And then get stuck between laughing at and getting very frustrated with cowgirl for not having any common sense....

Back
Top Bottom