Black Australorp Buff Orpington Cross

yes, any recent pics?
Since I cant have roosters in my area, I would be interested in some hatching eggs or chicks of the BO BA cross this spring!
anyone might be willing to sell?

They lay very large eggs. I bought one that was full grown from a lady at a trade day. Not the biggest bird, but later larger eggs than a buff or BA and had about the same consistency as a BA. The ones I hatched out are BA hens under a Old English Orpington and are about 6 weeks old now and are HUGE. I'll take pictures of them later. Very beautiful.

7 weeks old

Last edited:
Is it possible for male chicks to have the buff black coloring too, rather than silver?

We just had three chicks hatch from a black australorp hen and a buff orpington rooster, and they are all buff and black in varying degrees (none have the exact same coloring). Is it really possible we could have 3 out of 3 hens? They are two months old and one is a fair bit larger with a bigger comb too. Also I have noticed our roo favours some of the chicks and wards off others. It is possible he knows their sex? (Seems like a big ask, he really is as thick as two planks, lol).

Is it possible for male chicks to have the buff black coloring too, rather than silver?

We just had three chicks hatch from a black australorp hen and a buff orpington rooster, and they are all buff and black in varying degrees (none have the exact same coloring). Is it really possible we could have 3 out of 3 hens? They are two months old and one is a fair bit larger with a bigger comb too. Also I have noticed our roo favours some of the chicks and wards off others. It is possible he knows their sex? (Seems like a big ask, he really is as thick as two planks, lol).

I had the exact same thing happen 3 hens out of 3. I've heard of cases where Roos were black and buff, but it's very rare. That's why the call the sex link because you can sex them by color. Sometimes some hens mature faster than others and will have a bit larger combs and be larger, that's with any breed. Just watch it and if it starts to crow then you'll know for sure haha.

Just to give an update,

we did have three of these crosses: offspring of a buff orpington rooster and a black australorp hen. Two of them were unfortunately killed when they got out of their enclosure and the neighbour's dog found them. The last one has tried to mate with the hen who hatched him every morning this week, so I am thinking it's a rooster, even though it has the buff/black colouring, and lovely wide feathers (not the lacey saddle feathers of a rooster yet, but perhaps he is still too young)

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom