Black Australorp Buff Orpington Cross

Pics

LD Jackson

Chirping
8 Years
May 1, 2011
Roland, OK
I have been thinking about something and haven't seemed to be able to find a definitive answer. If I decided to cross a Black Australorp rooster and a Buff Orpington hen, would the chicks be able to be sexed shortly after birth, due to their coloring?

I dont know about this way but my dad had some black austrolop hens with a buff orpington rooster ..and the roosters were silver marked and the hens gold...then grown the hens were like a black sex link with gold hackles ..the roo 's had silver hackles..

Black Australorp rooster x Buff Orpington hen = NOT a sexlink
Buff Orpington rooster x Black Australorp hen = IS a sexlink. Males mature to be white/black, females mature to be buff/black. However, the newly hatched chicks are hard to sex by color until their feathers start coming in.

Check out this BYC page for a TON of info about making sexlinks.
smile.png
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Mr
. Adkerson probably doesn't include the Buff Orpington x Black Australorp cross on his page because they are not a true sexlink, since the chicks can not be sexed by color at hatch.

We had an accidental cross this year of a Buff Orpington Bantam and a Black Orpington Bantam. Here is what it looks like. Its going to be dumplins in a few days, unless someone wants it. PM me if you do.

47716_project_orp_1.jpg

47716_project_orp_2.jpg

Last edited:
114491_dscn0603.jpg
[/img]

Exactly what you get. This hen comes from a BA hen and a BO rooster. The males of the hatch were white and black. Very lovely birds. All the girls are black and gold as the photo illustrates. Sorry, I didn't manage to photograph the roosters. I gave them away to a neighbor far out of town.

With a Black roo on buff hens, you will most like not be able to sex the chicks by the color of their leakage. It would ultimatly depend on if the Black roo is silver based or gold based. It would most likely be silver and then if so, your pullets would have silver leakage, but the leakage in the males would be similar with some light hints of gold leakage too but that wouldn't be apparent until the bird has feathered out quite a bit and at that point, the physical sex differnces like comb size would be showing. Its the same concept and reason why Tim (tadkerson) says not to use Black copper roos in a red sexlink cross because the color difference wouldn't show up til later. However if the black roo was gold based then both hens and roosters would be black and buff like the birds already pictured in this thread.

However though, the reversed cross of a buff roo on a silver based black hen, like Cowgirl71 said, would be your best chance of producing sexlinked offspring and being able to see the difference relatively early. You'd get females with buff leakage like the one pictured and males with silverish leakage.

Quote:
How soon were you able to sex them by color ?

I would be interested in knowing the answer to that question as well. That is a pretty bird. Can you relate how good they were on laying eggs?

Back
Top Bottom