Black, Blue and Splash (BBS) Marans discussion thread

Pics
Black is black genetically so how is the blue washing it out. Give me a scientific reason...not what so and said who does not even actually have any solid black Marans. My blacks came from blues and really, go back to the beginning of this thread and tell me, does that black rooster look washed out to you? None of his babies look washed out either, which can be seen in my photo album and I will be updating even more pics of male blacks that I am growing out in a few days. I believe that blues can get washed out when breeding blue to blue long enough so breeding back to black in that case will darken the blues. I have bred my blues to blacks and the resulting blacks are always beautifully dark and not washed out. I have a whole bater full of eggs cooking right now that are all either blk x blk or blk x blue and u will not be able to see any difference between these offspring that are truly genetically black. Just speaking from my own actual experience with the black Marans. I showed you my black roosters and cockerals. Please show me yours then tell me about it....

Last edited:
CHICKEN COLOR GENETICS BLUE/BLACK/ SPLASH (BBS)
BLUE X BLUE = 50% BLUE, 25% BLACK, 25% SPLASH
BLUE X SPLASH = 50% BLUE 50% SPLASH
BLUE X BLACK= 50% BLUE 50% BLACK
BLACK X SPLASH = 100% BLUE
BLACK X BLACK = 100% BLACK
SPLASH X SPLASH = 100% SPLASH
black can NEVER parent a splash bird , and splash can NEVER parent a black bird
this is for those who have not found the links to the albc/ hpbaa or the amerpoultryassn page
maybe this will help some out on the genetics black is black no matter what cross was used to get it vary vary nice birds all the way around keep up the good work

Well just depends on the line Some breed them to be able to sex by wing feather angle and some like mine are breed were females feather out faster them males. With mine all my females will feather out there wings and tails faster and males will not get any tail feathers from long time. It really depends on the line.
a quick question from a newbie.....are there any early "tells" to a blcm for sexing them? I have one that is a week old and was just curious

Last edited:
this question is about egg color i have one pair of blue birchin marans and one pair of black cooper marans
the blue birchin lays a normal brown egg color since i have only one pair i don't know if this is normal
for the breed my black cooper lays a vary dark egg as well as the cuckoo marans i have

Here are some photos of a few of the solid black cockerel marans I have growing out right now. I think I might have posted these on another forum but will post here.
I have a whole bunch more blue and black eggs due to hatch at the end of this month. Still crossing my fingers for some solid DARK BLUE cockerels with good lacing (have some lighter blue roos) lol. I now have a two partners that I am working on Marans projects with, that use the solid blacks to develop more colors. So excited about this!!!
These are when they were a month old. This is Voodoo he has a few middle toe feather stubs.
900x900px-LL-2a6b97fc_IMGP2672.jpeg

900x900px-LL-842de59b_IMGP2675.jpeg

This is Blackjack he has correct toe feathering.
900x900px-LL-43d5abd2_IMGP2682.jpeg

900x900px-LL-771d3371_IMGP2679.jpeg

Here about 2 1/2 mos now. They sure grow fast.
THis guy reminds me so much of his dad but is sooo much sweeter!!!
900x900px-LL-ad40463b_Voodoo5-13.jpeg

Such a cutie. Chillin with a lavender pullet friend. She loves him and follows him EVERYWHERE. Already the ladies man lol.

LL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom