Black, Blue and Splash (BBS) Marans discussion thread

Pics
Thanks Donna! Choptank no no hatchery birds they are Wade/Davis birds. I only have 3 birds laying so can only do 6 at a time. Can do 6+ with shipping included for $25.00. Pm is the easiest way to contact me. I am away from the computer alot of the time sorry.

Hello All. I recently acquired a trio of hatchery Blue Splash Marans (actually 4, but one has mysteriously passed away) and just thought I would peek in here to see what people with a trained eye think of them. Three of the four have white legs, the other had willow or slate legs and black eyes. She's the one who passed away (heat related, I think). Of the three remaining, they all have varied amounts of feathers on their legs and yellow eyes, and they hall seem to have different combs. To me, they have lovely shapes. I am not sure whether it would be worth getting them a Splash rooster, or if I should release them into the general population (mixed flock of EEs, BR, and an SF rooster).

In this last picture, the slate legged, black eyed one is in the middle. The rest all have similar appearance aside from their leg feathers.

So, do I have some good base stock here for breeding?

no this is a public thread. just slow. all the Marans threads are slow right now. I am just on the phone. but I would find a roo. I don't think I would get a splash roo.....splash will dilute pretty quick and not be pretty. maybe a blue or black. are you sure they are not coppers? solid Marans are hard to find.

Oh hi! Thank you. :). I was told by theor previous owner that they were blue splash from a hatchery. I like your idea about a blue or black, and what kind of color would a splash-copper mix throw? Would it be varied or would there be some of each. Does the roo influence egg color in the offspring? I've looked for some answers in the genetics pages, but haven't gotten very far. I see a thread with pics and I have to stop and appreciate what people are doing. And I love the lil' fuzzy butts, too. This is certainly an interesting breed, though.

Thanks so much for responding. Yay!

Oh hi! Thank you. :). I was told by theor previous owner that they were blue splash from a hatchery. I like your idea about a blue or black, and what kind of color would a splash-copper mix throw? Would it be varied or would there be some of each. Does the roo influence egg color in the offspring? I've looked for some answers in the genetics pages, but haven't gotten very far. I see a thread with pics and I have to stop and appreciate what people are doing. And I love the lil' fuzzy butts, too. This is certainly an interesting breed, though.

Thanks so much for responding. Yay!

if you breed them with coppers they will always be coppers....my guess is they're.coppers if they came from a hatchery.

splash x splash = splash

splash x blue = z50/50 each color

splash x black = 100% blue.

Woops! I just read that, but thank you because now its much easier to find. Their eggs are very pale, even more pale than my Barred Rock's. Can you breed back from that?

Woops! I just read that, but thank you because now its much easier to find. Their eggs are very pale, even more pale than my Barred Rock's. Can you breed back from that?

not sure. you will have to find a roo from dark eggs and keep breeding the pullets back to dad till it improves. many generations I would think.

Back
Top Bottom