Black Copper Maran Pullet or Roo

Thanks for replying! I love seeing pictures to compare! Your fella is an early bloomer! I guess I'm still wait and see. Does your guy exhibit "roostery" behaviors? I've been watching mine and haven't noticed any aggression or chest bumping. Acts just like the rest of my Chicks. That may start later though.
Quote: Hmm. Mine will be 5 weeks on Wednesday, and he's looking MUCH more roostery than yours. Tail is shorter too. He's definitely an early bloomer though. He's feeling the urge to crow, but it's still coming out pretty squeaky.

Thanks for replying! I love seeing pictures to compare! Your fella is an early bloomer! I guess I'm still wait and see. Does your guy exhibit "roostery" behaviors? I've been watching mine and haven't noticed any aggression or chest bumping. Acts just like the rest of my
Chicks. That may start later though.
Well these are my first two chicks, and they are both clearly little roos so I don't have much to compare to, but I'd say they were definitely both acting roostery from about the age of two weeks - standing up tall, making squeaky little crowing noises and flapping at each other face-to-face in a rather aggressively playful manner.

I'm hoping that being raised together might help them stay friendly with each other, but most things I've read indicate that that's probably an empty hope.

Meanwhile they're awfully cute. They are spending a lot of time outside with my hens, inside a dog crate, and it's really adorable how the girls cluck at them and they peep/crow back.

Update. My black copper Maran was 6 weeks yesterday. Here are some updated pictures. Feel free to venture guesses! Thanks!
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I didn't notice a answer to the question of the feathered legs... But the feathered legs would indicate that it's of the French variety of bcm's not the gender :) And my roosters were more developed by that age in my opinion.

I didn't notice a answer to the question of the feathered legs... But the feathered legs would indicate that it's of the French variety of bcm's not the gender :) And my roosters were more developed by that age in my opinion.

Thank you for your reply. He/she has very feathered legs now. From the pictures I've looked at it seems that by this age most roosters are more delveloped. Hoping it's not just a late bloomer. Do you happen to know around when rooster start trying to crow? I haven't heard anything let, but I didn't know when was normal. Thank you!

Im not 100% but my 7 week old has a smaller comb but looks similar. Somebody told me that most roosters try to "squeak" by 3 weeks and possibly start to crow by 5 weeks...

Thank you for your reply. He/she has very feathered legs now. From the pictures I've looked at it seems that by this age most roosters are more delveloped. Hoping it's not just a late bloomer. Do you happen to know around when rooster start trying to crow? I haven't heard anything let, but I didn't know when was normal. Thank you!
Pretty bird! Looks like she's developing little wattles now. I wonder what age BCM pullets usually show wattles and pinkish combs?

Mine will be six weeks on Wednesday, and he's definitely a rooster. He's been trying to crow for about a week now, but it's still pretty squeaky. I think the feathered legs don't indicate gender at all.

I'd love to know when females start waddle development! I know at full grown they are pretty large. Your guy already has a big comb!
Pretty bird! Looks like she's developing little wattles now. I wonder what age BCM pullets usually show wattles and pinkish combs? Mine will be six weeks on Wednesday, and he's definitely a rooster. He's been trying to crow for about a week now, but it's still pretty squeaky. I think the feathered legs don't indicate gender at all.

I have one hen that has LOTS of feathers on her legs and then my other 5 have light feathering on the legs. My rooster has lots of feathers on his as well. There is 2 varieties of black copper marans, French which have the feathered legs and American which are clean legged.
My roosters have all started crowing around 16-20 week possibly because there has always been a more mature rooster in the bunch. But they have always had distinct wattles and comb in a deep red where as the hens wattles and comb are visible but small and pink/red and don't become RED till just shortly before laying

Decided to keep the weekly picture updates going. Here is my Black Copper Maran 7 weeks today. No crow attempts, no agressive behavior. The comb and wattles have gotten much more red this week. As always gender guesses and thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom