Black Copper Maran???

CluckingLucky

Chirping
Aug 10, 2023
Na-Au-Say, IL
I bought 8 BC Maran chicks this year from a hatchery, they were hatched in early April. Only 3 of them were hens, so we are keeping them. Although one is almost completely black. She’s really beautiful but lacks the copper color hackles of the two other pullets, and all of the BC maran cockerels.

Wondering if this bird may be a mix or perhaps a black maran?

The hatchery where I bought them doesn’t sell black marans, only BC marans but they do sell black Bresse.

Attachments

• IMG_1047.jpeg
    IMG_1047.jpeg
    676.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1054.jpeg
    IMG_1054.jpeg
    707 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1060.jpeg
    IMG_1060.jpeg
    855.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    803 KB · Views: 63
Thanks @JedJackson ! Excellent point about the earlobes, and the variation in BC marans.

One of the BC maran cockerels we have is more blonde than copper. It’s a cool color, but not nearly as attractive as the copper, IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpeg
    IMG_0460.jpeg
    603.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0464.jpeg
    IMG_0464.jpeg
    757.2 KB · Views: 62
Your bird has feathered legs as well, which isn’t a Bresse trait as far as I know, but is found in Marans.

Totally agree @Winderdear !
I guess I was just wondering if maybe it was some kind of BC maran & black Bresse mix.

Probably more likely to just be a BC maran with no copper 😂
I think it’s just a hatchery quality Marans. They can vary a lot. I once ordered bantam Cochins in the birchen color (white/cream/kinda silvery on neck) and one of them barely had any birchen color while my cockerel and other pullets had tons. Also I ordered 4, they threw in an extra who was black which they do sell black BCs so yeah. I also had some with very poor quality foot feathering and others were great. Also ordered another breed from them that was crested and bearded and one of them barely had any crest and was clean faced! So anyway! Point being that hatcheries aren’t always the best quality lol nothing to worry about as long as she lays you nice eggs ❤️

Back
Top Bottom