Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Speaking of feathered legs, as promised here's more pictures of my questionable chick at just under 4 weeks.

Case for PULLET:
sold as sexed pullet (i know, i know)
developed tail feathers at same rate as other chicks
comb not red
Not mounting or trying to crow at this point

Case for COCKEREL:
Bossy, lots of chest bumping
largest and loudest of mixed flock
comb is largest, first to develop wattles
Upright posture, most inquisitive

Here's a definite pullet for comparison. This is Twelve, a sex-linked Golden Comet:

And here's the questionable chick, Richard Sherman.

Any thoughts? I have just a few more weeks to figure it out, if i want a refund. Thanks for your time!

Speaking of feathered legs, as promised here's more pictures of my questionable chick at just under 4 weeks.

Case for PULLET:
comb not red

Case for COCKEREL:

Here's a definite pullet for comparison. This is Twelve, a sex-linked Golden Comet:

Any thoughts? I have just a few more weeks to figure it out, if i want a refund. Thanks for your time!

I dont know a lot, but I know that there is a rooster. Cock-a-doodle-doo. ;)

Case for PULLET:
comb not red

Case for COCKEREL:

Pullets chest bump and get "uppity" and curious too, but that's a cockerel in my view. Thickness of shanks is also an indicator. You'll see color in that comb soon enough.

Case for PULLET:
comb not red

Case for COCKEREL:

Hi! Sorry...this looks like a cockerel to me as well.

Here's a pullet that looks to be somewhat close to the same age. You will see your chick has wattles showing already, and quite a bit of comb, along with the thick legs. The pullet here, although she had a larger comb than many pullets of this age, she had virtually nonexistent wattles.

The females at this age will have a body shape more like a heart (from shoulders down) while the males look more like a shield.

The males seem to often want to stand more erect as well. In a few weeks on your chick you should see spiky copper saddle feathers starting to come in. Some lines the males are nearly bald in the saddle area when the tiny saddle feathers begin to come in, other lines will have full feathering, but then copper feathers will grow out but blend in.

Last edited:

Case for PULLET:
comb not red

Case for COCKEREL:

That is a cockerel. See how his comb goes all the way down to his nostrils? That is a tell-tale sign at this age.

Thanks everyone! My little rooster has a great home lined up for when he gets a bit bigger. I'll keep him until he starts to crow (or by some miracle, decides to be a pullet, very unlikely). The thing that is throwing me off is that a few days after posting that picture, several of the other pullets' combs popped out and went pink, and several sets of wattles appeared. How bad could sexing be on five lousy chickens?! How confusing.

Thanks for your input on my little guy! I really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone! My little rooster has a great home lined up for when he gets a bit bigger. I'll keep him until he starts to crow (or by some miracle, decides to be a pullet, very unlikely). The thing that is throwing me off is that a few days after posting that picture, several of the other pullets' combs popped out and went pink, and several sets of wattles appeared. How bad could sexing be on five lousy chickens?! How confusing.

Thanks for your input on my little guy! I really appreciate it.
There is always the chance that we are all wrong and it is a pullet
wink.png

With the level of experience and knowledge that I've seen here, I doubt it, but I guess there's always the chance, Sherman's new home won't be ready to take him until mid-April so I've got some time to spend with the little guy, and the gender will be absolutely unmistakable by then. Will keep ya posted!

Back
Top Bottom