Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Just a question for you, How many can you safely cage and breed. If you crowd the chickens up you have lost the battle before you even start.

I have plenty of space. I don't need a ton of birds. I'm just trying to figure out the best approach.

Last edited:
Hi. Trying to read the posts from beginning to end. (I'm thinking that's probably impossible.) I'm sure this has been covered in the discussion group, but I am just starting out with a breeding program. Lost two beauties last year to coyotes and love this breed best of all! I am wondering about coloring at 8 weeks? I have two cockerels. First had too much leakage right off the bat. Second, though, doesn't seem to have much color coming through yet and I was counting on him. Am I doomed thus far? He is quite a beauty in other aspects. Very large. Nice comb. Seems to have a great carriage. Leg feathering looks good. I am raising 5 pullets, though one of the five also has too much leakage and won't be bred. If his coloring ends up not being good enough, is it possible to breed him later on with a nicely colored female? Will that improve color? Will go back to lurking and reading now. :)

Hi. Trying to read the posts from beginning to end. (I'm thinking that's probably impossible.) I'm sure this has been covered in the discussion group, but I am just starting out with a breeding program. Lost two beauties last year to coyotes and love this breed best of all! I am wondering about coloring at 8 weeks? I have two cockerels. First had too much leakage right off the bat. Second, though, doesn't seem to have much color coming through yet and I was counting on him. Am I doomed thus far? He is quite a beauty in other aspects. Very large. Nice comb. Seems to have a great carriage. Leg feathering looks good. I am raising 5 pullets, though one of the five also has too much leakage and won't be bred. If his coloring ends up not being good enough, is it possible to breed him later on with a nicely colored female? Will that improve color? Will go back to lurking and reading now. :)

Try for a picture, Would like to see what they look like and will answer your question.

I would not breed this male if you have anything better. His type looks ok though except for the yellow Hackle. It always go back to the saying that we have to work with what we have available.

my hen looks like pure BCM. are there chances that some chicks from this cross will be pure BCM too? 2 chicks look BC so far (hatched on april 2nd) and 1 is BC/wheaten (hatched on april 12th). I am not a breeder but I will try to breed good birds if I can. a little BC/Wh probably is a girl and I will keep her either for eggs or OE. the other 2 are 1 girl and 1 boy.

I would suggest that you try and get a BC male from someone in your area and breed to these females. If you decide you want to breed some better Marans I would contact some people and ask about eggs or chicks. There might even be someone in your area. That way you could see the adult Marans.

thank you.
I did see the adult BCM and it seems they all are BC/Wh cross. this is a new breed in greece and people are not well informed. people overhere usually don't let you see their chickens with the excuse of health risks but the real reason is that they don't have good birds. If I don't see the birds I prefer to eliminate faulty birds and mate those ones that look BC.

if I breed a BC male to BC/Wh female what chicks will I get? can a pure BC male correct the colour? or I'd better breed BC to BC only?

Back
Top Bottom