Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Ok, here's several hens in one post

Loosely feathered

Beautifully feathered (to me)

The blue. I hope she's a blue copper and not just a blue. She only has a little copper on one side of her neck, and I can't tell if she's a copper, or a blue with leakage. If she's a blue, she doesn't need to be bred in this group, correct?

Don, she ordered black and blue from the same breeder. I'm not sure if she intends on breeding them together, but she intentionally got both colors. I was led to believe mine came from a black only program. I'm fine with breeding blues as well, I just want to be upfront so people know what they are getting. Not doing so is a fast way to get a bad reputation.
Many pictures coming up
If I were you, I wouldn't add any more this year. Grow these out, see what you are working with and what you need to work on before bringing in another line with different faults

Yes, I will grow them out first. I did want Blue Copper. They are very pretty. If nothing else I hope that they lay very dark eggs. I didn't know that breeding Blue Copper and Black Copper together was not good if you want good Black Copper. I don't want to start over again!
th.gif
I don't need perfect but not go buy a axe! Would be nice! Can I get that from what I have? I guess time will tell.

Yes, I will grow them out first. I did want Blue Copper. They are very pretty. If nothing else I hope that they lay very dark eggs. I didn't know that breeding Blue Copper and Black Copper together was not good if you want good Black Copper. I don't want to start over again!
th.gif
I don't need perfect but not go buy a axe! Would be nice! Can I get that from what I have? I guess time will tell.

I'd say you will get a good idea what you have based on Don's critique of mine. I think I have birds I can work with here, I'm just hoping Don feels decent about one of the cockerels. I think the eggs will be good, they are Davis line and Bev recommended Julie to me. Like you, I really want the dark eggs too, but I want to be able to sell SOP birds as well. My first group laid dark eggs, but were beyond repair as far as SOP

ETA: Did you notice how close the birds are to me? I had to shoo some out of the way to take pictures of others. Tamest birds I have ever had

Last edited:
I'd say you will get a good idea what you have based on Don's critique of mine. I think I have birds I can work with here, I'm just hoping Don feels decent about one of the cockerels. I think the eggs will be good, they are Davis line and Bev recommended Julie to me. Like you, I really want the dark eggs too, but I want to be able to sell SOP birds as well. My first group laid dark eggs, but were beyond repair as far as SOP

ETA: Did you notice how close the birds are to me? I had to shoo some out of the way to take pictures of others. Tamest birds I have ever had

They are very tame! I can even tell as chicks. I put my hand in the brooder and they come running and jump in! lol I can't wait to see what Don has to say on yours! I hope when my Coppers get old enough Don will critique mine!

By the way, anyone with experience feel free to weigh in. I ask for honest opinions and my feelings aren't hurt when the faults are pointed out. I need to learn, and pictures of my own birds help me more than just reading literature

Ok, here's several hens in one post

Loosely feathered

Beautifully feathered (to me)

The blue. I hope she's a blue copper and not just a blue. She only has a little copper on one side of her neck, and I can't tell if she's a copper, or a blue with leakage. If she's a blue, she doesn't need to be bred in this group, correct?

SC, the overall type on these youngsters look very nice.
Nice long Back with good elevation.
Blue has either a split or slipped wing and should be culled from breeding.
Quite a bit of Copper showing already.
Male behind Blue Pullet will be overmelanized meaning he will end up with very little color. notice he has purple sheen to feathers.
I also like the foot feathering very much.

Last edited:
Male behind Blue Pullet will be overmelanized meaning he will end up with very little color. notice he has purple sheen to feathers.

The male behind the blue is the one that I said stayed black for so long. I understand what you are saying about the purple sheen, but I had the same issue with my black Ameraucanas and they grew out to a beautiful green.

I also like the foot feathering very much.

Don, What to you think on the loose feather and tight feather? Will this change as they get older?

Back
Top Bottom