Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Don, I like the one in the second and third picture. They are the same one right? I don't know anything! You already know that! But I know what I like!
smile.png

They are looking good! How old did you say they where?

The couple oldest were hatched on new years weekend and then a few every week for a month or so. So they'd be 12-16 weeks roughly? Maybe a few a little younger?

I absolutely love the color in this one

Yeah Right! We liked the same one!

That's going to be a good looking bird

He could send him my way! first dibs! lol

Thank you :) he's the one that I'm watching the closest. I like his size, type and color. I think he's the only one that's showing some copper saddle feathers so far. He's one of two from shipped eggs and the only cockerel from them. All the rest are from my own eggs. I'm really hoping for a good group.

My guess is that Don is going to say the hens are too dark, but the type looks nice. That one cockerel looks exceptional. Maybe that's what Don means by it's hard to get good males and females from the same breeding

You're Right, a lot of the girls are too dark but there are a couple with really nice copper hackles. One has a little tiny bit of mossiness but such a tiny bit that it's hard to see unless you're looking for it. Most of the girls are daughters of the rooster that I had last fall. He was too dark but had good type. Their mother is of ok type with decent hackles.

Thank you everyone for your comments :) I'm feeling pretty good about this group!

Last edited:
The couple oldest were hatched on new years weekend and then a few every week for a month or so. So they'd be 12-16 weeks roughly? Maybe a few a little younger?

Thank you :) he's the one that I'm watching the closest. I like his size, type and color. I think he's the only one that's showing some copper saddle feathers so far. He's one of two from shipped eggs and the only cockerel from them. All the rest are from my own eggs. I'm really hoping for a good group.
You're Right, a lot of the girls are too dark but there are a couple with really nice copper hackles. One has a little tiny bit of mossiness but such a tiny bit that it's hard to see unless you're looking for it. Most of the girls are daughters of the rooster that I had last fall. He was too dark but had good type. Their mother is of ok type with decent hackles.

Thank you everyone for your comments :) I'm feeling pretty good about this group!
I'm just learning. I'm curious to hear what Don has to say. That one cockerel is gorgeous to me

Back
Top Bottom