Black Copper Marans discussion thread

So, I picked up these two little BCMs on 4/9/16. One of them has shown definite growth but the other, not so much.

BCM #1 - General Tso aka Genny

...when we brought it home (and it was probably a couple days old)

...last Friday.

BCM #2 - Banquet

...when we brought it home.

...tonight.

I'm concerned/confused as to why the little one hasn't grown a whole lot.

The bird looks really droopy. How is it's behavior? Is it very lethargic or just not as large as it's sibling. If it is moving around like it's nestmate, I would not do anything. If it is lethargic and droopy she is probably sick. Make sure he is hydrated. That is all I can think to do. With small birds, by the time you realize they are sick, they are dead. Do you use medicated chick feed? I know some don't but I find it cuts down on losses. I hope it makes it.

The bird looks really droopy. How is it's behavior? Is it very lethargic or just not as large as it's sibling. If it is moving around like it's nestmate, I would not do anything. If it is lethargic and droopy she is probably sick. Make sure he is hydrated. That is all I can think to do. With small birds, by the time you realize they are sick, they are dead. Do you use medicated chick feed? I know some don't but I find it cuts down on losses. I hope it makes it.   

It was just cuddled up to my hand. Normally, it's running around with the other birds. It's in medicated chick feed. When I put down the fresh water & feed, it'll run up with the others & will push its way through to eat. So, it doesn't let its size stop him/her.

Then I would not worry about it. If it is eating and running around and drinking.... it might just be a little small. That is good. From the picture it looked like it was almost dead.

Then I would not worry about it. If it is eating and running around and drinking.... it might just be a little small. That is good. From the picture it looked like it was almost dead.

Oh, yeah. It's definitely not. It'll walk around the brooder boxes (we've got two connected by a "chunnel"). It is one of the louder birds but half the time, it's because it's on one side of the brooder & the other birds are on the other. It does like to spend free time under the heat with my Welsummer & 3 new EE chicks I just got.

LivingCanvas,

I had an issue with 12 BCM Chicks I purchased from a breeder in North Texas. This breeder claimed her BCM flock was a mix of several well known BCM lines. Of my original chicks, two stopped growing at 4 - 6 weeks then died around 9-10 weeks old but they otherwise looked and acted like normal chicks except they lacked the feathering, were more vocal and were half the size of their hatch mates. From the remaining chicks I kept my best cockerel and 4 pullets. I've hatched out about 100 chicks from these birds and about 25-30% of these chicks stopped growing / died just like 2 of my original chicks.

I believe the birds I purchased carry a genetic flaw (maybe dwarfism) so I have decided to cull my entire flock so as not to perpetuate this undesirable flaw. I cannot say that you are dealing with the same issue as me but yours is only the second post that I've seen which is remotely close to what I have experienced with my original BCMs. Below is a picture of two 8 week old pullets hatched the same day so you can see the difference between a normal and abnormal chick. I believe the reason your chick is more vocal and huddles up with your other birds is because it is cold and seeks warmth. I would suggest you provide your chick with supplemental heat for as long as needed.

Best of Luck with your Chick,
Keith

When I first read this post, I thought the same thing. It sounded like the chick was cold.

Is there anything special I should do to try & help it along? I've been told everything from treating it with Corid to giving it hard boiled eggs & yogurt. The information is overwhelming & since this is my first year with chicks, it's a lot to take in.

Is there anything special I should do to try & help it along? I've been told everything from treating it with Corid to giving it hard boiled eggs & yogurt. The information is overwhelming & since this is my first year with chicks, it's a lot to take in.
I have done all these things. Do what is easy for you! They love egg yolks and it is a good dose of protein. Boil a couple of eggs and mash up a few yolks. They will gobble it down. You might want to always have Corid on hand. When you need it the stores are always out. Corid is easy follow the directions and put it in their water if you need it. Watch for bloody poop. Chicken Chick has a good blog about poop. Cleared that **** right up for me.
wink.png
Since Chickens do not have the same kind of digestive tract we do I never could understand how yogurt could help them. I would leave that out. It is my first year too but you will learn as you go believe me you can't help it. I have experienced cocci, egg bound, ruptured crop, it's dead I don't know why and a possum attack. If I can ever help, let me know. I think Happy Frenchman recommended medicated chick starter, I agree.... for me it is a must.

Last edited:
I have done all these things.  Do what is easy for you!  They love egg yolks and it is a good dose of protein.  Boil a couple of eggs and mash up a few yolks.  They will gobble it down.  You might want to always have Corid on hand.  When you need it the stores are always out.  Corid is easy follow the directions and put it in their water if you need it.  Watch for bloody poop.  Chicken Chick has a good blog about poop.  Cleared that **** right up for me. ;)   Since Chicken do not have the same kind of digestive tract we do I never could understand how yogurt could help them.  I would leave that out.  It is my first year too but you will learn as you go believe me you can't help it.  I have experienced cocci, egg bound, ruptured crop, it's dead I don't know why and a possum attack. If I can ever help, let me know.  I think Happy Frenchman recommended medicated chick starter, I agree.... for me it is a must.

Thanks for the suggestions. My girls (and boys) are all fed medicated chick feed. About a month before getting my babies, I won 309lbs Dom the local Rural King.
1f60a.png

I'll go get some Corrid today. There's been no bloody poop but I have noticed some that's runny... But when I check out the poop charts, it's considered normal. But this little one is the only one that seems to be not growing as much. Giving them all Corrid wouldn't hurt, right?

Thanks for the suggestions. My girls (and boys) are all fed medicated chick feed. About a month before getting my babies, I won 309lbs Dom the local Rural King.
1f60a.png

I'll go get some Corrid today. There's been no bloody poop but I have noticed some that's runny... But when I check out the poop charts, it's considered normal. But this little one is the only one that seems to be not growing as much. Giving them all Corrid wouldn't hurt, right?
I wouldn't give Corid if they don't need it but I would have it on hand. Runny is okay, bloody is not. And sometimes what looks bloody really isn't it is just the normal shedding of the intestinal lining. (Thank you Chicken Chick!)

I have some chicks that don't grow as fast as others. I really can't say if there is anything wrong. I would give the chick or all of them a treat of egg yolks. Eating is always good.

Back
Top Bottom