Black Copper Marans discussion thread

WheatEn....
I see that all the time.....like marans without an s

and

and waddles v wattles.

If you are referring to me and spelling, I said please excuse the spelling. It was late, and I posted on my phone. If I would have nitpicked myself it would have taken me forever lol. That's ok, every thread has to have SOMEONE to point out spelling errors. Just from now on, please make the errors a different color or underline them so I can feel like I'm back in school.

And this post is in fun. It funny how these threads can get a bit Harry, but for the most part goes fairly smooth. I have really only noticed the rare someone that cannot handle criticism or the way to facilitate learning.

Last edited:
I hatched out 13 eggs and they are growing like weeds. They were all supposed to be Black & Copper, but I have two that look like they are Blue Laced & Copper. What do you all think, about this one?

I hatched out 13 eggs and they are growing like weeds. They were all supposed to be Black & Copper, but I have two that look like they are Blue Laced & Copper. What do you all think, about this one?

Black Copper crossed with a Blue Copper will yield a 50% Black Copper and 50% Blue Copper ratio of offspring.
Sometimes the Blue can be so dark that it can be mistaken as a Black Copper...
So it is possible that the person these chicks came from did not know that they had a black / blue mating going on...

A chick that is Blue Laced & Copper is just called a Blue Copper.
Just as the Blue can vary in hue - light, med, and so dark that it can be mistaken as black - the lacing can vary too.

I have two FCM hens that I acquired as pullets a few months ago. I would like to think they are of good quality, do they meet breed points or are they too copper, not copper enough... etc. They do have feathers on their feet but not as feathery as seen on some of the birds I have seen in this thread.

They just started laying (I think) the eggs are very light but getting darker every day. Is this normal for these girls? We are still debating who is laying the small whitish colored eggs with speckling. Kind of funky.

Would love some constructive feedback, I think they are rather pretty and soooo soft!

Would love some constructive feedback, I think they are rather pretty and soooo soft!
To receive the best "Constructive" feedback, you will need to post several pictures of each girl (pullet).
You will need a pic from the top, front, back, and side. Be patient! The better the picture, the more accurate the feedback will be.
Catch the girls (pullets) in the most natural poses possible. Don't take photos while they are bent over, laying down, or stretching funny.

I have two FCM hens that I acquired as pullets a few months ago. I would like to think they are of good quality, do they meet breed points or are they too copper, not copper enough... etc. They do have feathers on their feet but not as feathery as seen on some of the birds I have seen in this thread. They just started laying (I think) the eggs are very light but getting darker every day. Is this normal for these girls? We are still debating who is laying the small whitish colored eggs with speckling. Kind of funky. Would love some constructive feedback, I think they are rather pretty and soooo soft!
First leg feathering isn't a huge deal breaker unless your far along in a breeding program. Copper is fine. If you want a better critique post good side photos with them standing in a normal posture. Not sleeping or on high alert. One thing that concerns me is the last girl. I'm on my phone so picture isnt large, but she appears to have a split breast. Should look like top female. I may be wrong, hard to see.

I have two FCM hens that I acquired as pullets a few months ago. I would like to think they are of good quality, do they meet breed points or are they too copper, not copper enough... etc. They do have feathers on their feet but not as feathery as seen on some of the birds I have seen in this thread.

They just started laying (I think) the eggs are very light but getting darker every day. Is this normal for these girls? We are still debating who is laying the small whitish colored eggs with speckling. Kind of funky.

Hens are technically over 1 year of age. I am just confirming that these are pullets, probably around 6 months of age ? ? ?

What is FCM ? ? Are they both Black Copper Marans? I ask because the second girl looks like she could be a really dark Blue Copper Marans.

Can you post a side view of both pullets, believe me, I know how hard it is to get good pics. :) That would be needed to get a better idea of type and type is the most important thing. Your first pullet may have a pinched tail by the looks of the pic. I think the eye colour and copper look pretty good, first pullets eyes may be a little light. Colour is also difficult to judge from pics. Do they have brownish underfluff or is it black? Are the chest feathers lighter around the edges? Solid black is what you want. The 2nd pullet may have a split breast (went through my SOP and can't find an explanation or correct term so my wording may not be right) and it looks like she has too much white in her foot feathers. I believe more than 1/4" of any white on a feather is a DQ, this has been hashed out before on this thread and I may not be correct......... I was recently at a show and a very reputable breeder (who has been winning but maybe not with these particular birds) had a Cockeral with more than 1/4" of white in two tail feathers and a Pullet with 1/2" or more of white on a toe feather entered. I do not know how they were placed or if DQ'd as I was only there early the first day. My pullets generally start laying eggs pretty close to the colour they will end up being, sometimes a little lighter at first but others have had different experiences.

Black Copper crossed with a Blue Copper will yield a 50% Black Copper and 50% Blue Copper ratio of offspring.
Sometimes the Blue can be so dark that it can be mistaken as a Black Copper...
So it is possible that the person these chicks came from did not know that they had a black / blue mating going on...

I was given a few Blue Coppers ..... as chicks i could see they were blue (even though i'm color blind/partial) but now that they at point of lay i can not tell them apart ?
I never owned blues or blue coppers before .
What do i look for in the 5-6 month age blue copper that looks just like the black coppers that are penned with ? I just need to separate them .

Thanks for the time and consideration it takes to help anyone that asks

Back
Top Bottom