Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Here is a pic of the new years hatch . The flock consists of 5 and seem to be very friendly and they don't wander real far from coop like some of other breeds I had. I would like to know what some of the BCM veterans see , good and bad with the flock [18.5 wks old in pic ]

Is there any one out there that has show quality or sop birds they want to sell. Hatching eggs or young birds that I can buy.

Does anyone have time for an egg color question?
frow.gif

My hens are from a dark laying line. My male hatched from a line that is around a 4. The chicks are just a few weeks old, but I'm wondering what I can expect. I have about a 1,000 questions, but I'm wondering if someone can give me some egg color genetics basics or point me to some resources to learn.

Thanks!

Does anyone have time for an egg color question?
frow.gif

My hens are from a dark laying line. My male hatched from a line that is around a 4. The chicks are just a few weeks old, but I'm wondering what I can expect. I have about a 1,000 questions, but I'm wondering if someone can give me some egg color genetics basics or point me to some resources to learn.

Thanks!

I can tell you this, if you cross the 2 lines your egg color will suffer for a generation or 2. To keep the egg color you are better off to breed the same line together. NOW if the other line brings more to the table than egg color I would cross the 2 and work on type first. Egg color will come once you get your type and start breeding the same birds together.

I can tell you this, if you cross the 2 lines your egg color will suffer for a generation or 2. To keep the egg color you are better off to breed the same line together. NOW if the other line brings more to the table than egg color I would cross the 2 and work on type first. Egg color will come once you get your type and start breeding the same birds together.
Thank you! Will the egg color become lighter than the lightest line? Also, is it better to use males of darker color or females? Or does it matter? Thanks you!

I've seen this said often, but I have not found it to be true, personally. I really do believe it depends on which birds you're crossing. JMO! :)

I have seen it both time I crossed new unrelated birds. In this case crossing in a line from a 4 is only going to hurt not help.

Color comes back pretty quick when you cross them back.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I'm glad to finally be at a point to be able to see for myself.
cool.png
My rooster isn't a terror this year, my hens lay well, and I FINALLY had a decent hatch. Plus, I have 14 more eggs looking good in the incubator....but I don't want to count my chicks before they hatch. lol

Back
Top Bottom