Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I am growing out a batch of BCM's that are 8 1/2 weeks old. Am I the only one that finds the males of this breed start crowing around 6 weeks and start becoming obnoxious by 9? We've had a few other breeds of males this year and their crowing didn't start until around 13-14 weeks. Maybe it's because my Marans tend to be in a group with lots of other cockerels?

Regardless, I've culled down to 4 of the best cockerels and they're already trying to jump on the pullets and are crowing obnoxiously!
barnie.gif
Some breeds mature faster than others, and some lines within a breed mature faster than others. I have one early bloomer this year that surprised me when I heard crowing coming from that pen since I had young males there, but generally mine will start more like 3 months. 6 weeks is ridiculously early IMO. It is best to separate sexes as soon as possible, but definitely by the time the males start pestering the pullets. Preferably out of sight of the pullets. Mine are also in a large group, they are next to a pen of pullets. Usually there will be a couple of dominant cockerels and the less dominant ones will not crow unless or until the dominant ones are gone, lest they be a target! I had one particular cockerel who was a complete bully and he would have been culled except he looks too promising. He would run over and pull feathers and pick on another bird that was on the other side of the pen minding his own business. I took him out and he is living by himself now and there is peace in that pen now, for a while at least, until another male takes up the role of dominant.

Dealing with young male hormones is definitely one of the challenges of breeding quality chickens since one needs to grow out a lot of them to find a few good ones. A lot of space and separate pens is helpful.

Check out this "bad boy". He's the biggest crowing offender in the group, and is now crowing so loudly that I can hear him loud and clear through the yard. He just turned 8 weeks old on Friday. His comb and wattle development is leaps and bounds ahead of the other males in his group. His front view is nothing short of a "tank" - huge black chest. lol

Last edited:
Hi I am new to BCM and I am trying to learn more about the breed. I have 8 birds from a bycswap and 4 are male and 4 female. I think they are around 4 months. I am looking for help in deciding which rooster to keep!! If you would like to help me, Id really appreciate it. You can message me your email and I can send photos. Thanks

Hi I am new to BCM and I am trying to learn more about the breed. I have 8 birds from a bycswap and 4 are male and 4 female. I think they are around 4 months. I am looking for help in deciding which rooster to keep!! If you would like to help me, Id really appreciate it. You can message me your email and I can send photos. Thanks
You can post your photos on the page and probably get more opinions that way. ;)

Go ahead and post them here. Best are top, full side, rear, and front views (straight on, no 3/4 camera angles) from the bird's level. This will help us help you best.

oK. I'm kind of nervous about just posting them on here but there are 4 males.

These are my first birds, and I choose bcm because I liked their breed the most.

I think some used to have white on their feathers, if it is still there is that something to get rid of them for? (you can only see the white when the wing is stretched out)

One has been missing a tail since it was born #4 (he's only in the one photo towards the back)

So basically that leaves me with the 3 numbered below...

thanks for any advice or help i had more photos but didn't want to flood the thread.
I know it's time to decide because today one of them *tried* to crow haha I tried not to laugh too loud

baunlee in my program #2 would be gone (straw instead of copper hackle) and #4 ( based on the white flecks you mentioned- I can't see him well in the picture). His tail could still grow in. I would keep 1 and 3, one as main boy and one as backup. They are still pretty young to be certain of which in which position. I like how SOLID #3 looks but he's hard to evaluate in that posture.

Last edited:
#4 looks like it was a cross with a birchen.... I wouldn't use that one at all.

Don't worry as much about color TYPE TYPE TYPE. They are still young and getting their color in so just wait. Some things in roos are a cull for me ALWAYS. Dark eye, clean legs, white earlobes. They don't make it here period. I don't cull too hard on cockerels till about 6-7 months. Then I look for more issues.... white feathers would go at that point.

#4 looks like it was a cross with a birchen.... I wouldn't use that one at all.

Don't worry as much about color TYPE TYPE TYPE. They are still young and getting their color in so just wait. Some things in roos are a cull for me ALWAYS. Dark eye, clean legs, white earlobes. They don't make it here period. I don't cull too hard on cockerels till about 6-7 months. Then I look for more issues.... white feathers would go at that point.
i've been meaning to ask what one means exactly when they say "look & breed for Type" ?
Is this meant as a reference to balance ? as balance is essential in all living things . The better the balance the better the specimen .
I would think Balance is the first thing a Judge and breeder would look for (being the bird the correct breed , variety & class) .
Thanks

Last edited:
Type is about the body shape, carriage, and composition. You want a brick-shaped body, high-carried wings, the right tail angle, a broad leg spread, and a nice wide tented tail among other things. Some breeders use the analogy "build the barn and THEN paint it." All the pretty paint in the world won't help if the barn has a rotted foundation! That's why I said I couldn't really tell much about #3, a picture at an angle like the drawings below is much more helpful. Maybe these will help you see, they are specifically for Marans type.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom