Black Copper Marans discussion thread

From what I can see in the picture it looks like he has white shanks. His wing looks to be wheaten. Could you post another picture with more light. His Hackle and Saddle look to be Mahogany colored.
I think we may be having some lighting difficulties in this photo. Perhaps taken outside rather than in the coop with natural lighting (but not glaring noonday sun?) would show his coloring better. I see what you are saying snowbird about his wingtips, but I can't say with this lighting.

He looks to be quite a substantial cockerel with nice fore/aft balance. I agree his coloring (in this photo's light) looks more toward mahogany than copper, though that would bother me less than a golden color. It may be the camera angle or his beefiness, but I also see a potential for a roachy back here. SIMZ, Marans cockerels are supposed to be higher in front, is this what you think may be a downward slope to his back or or are you referencing what might be the roached back (kind of humped)? His tail angle is better than many Marans I've seen who tend toward the very high or "squirrel" tail. Would love to see outside lighting with straight (bird-level) view of side, front, back and and direct downward shot of him from the top.

Last edited:
Thanks Ihilani for the feedback. I have some better pictures, but am having trouble uploading them. His back doesn't normally look like that picture. It has a nice slight downward slope without that hump. He was looking for an escape route -- which I certainly prefer over coming at me to kill me. LOL

I'll keep trying with the other pictures! It seems there is a website problem since I've seen others posting the same problem.

Looks like it's fixed!

Ok.... @snowbird Here are some pictures of him outside. I tried to get a close up of his wing area, too. He's 13-14 weeks now and has left his little band of hatch mates and is running with the big flock. Quite advanced, this one is. lol

Here's a bit more upright in these because of me.

Thanks for any feedback!

Looks like it's fixed!

Ok.... @snowbird Here are some pictures of him outside. I tried to get a close up of his wing area, too. He's 13-14 weeks now and has left his little band of hatch mates and is running with the big flock. Quite advanced, this one is. lol

Here's a bit more upright in these because of me.

Thanks for any feedback!
Hi, These pictures are much better. I can say that I see nothing wrong with the young male. As he gets older he will color up with more Copper. looks like he would be a nice breeder male for you. Good luck with this male.

Hi, These pictures are much better. I can say that I see nothing wrong with the young male. As he gets older he will color up with more Copper. looks like he would be a nice breeder male for you. Good luck with this male.

So good to hear - thank you! I know he has a lot of growing to do, but glad that he's fine so far. This just might be the year that I can work with what I have instead of starting over.

Well...first things first. With Rhodebars, those with white dots on their heads are cockerels. If the cockerel in your photo is a cross, it would have to have been a single barred cock (NOT a "real" Rhodebar where the males must be double-barred) over a Marans female and the chick did not get the barring gene. If it were a Marans over a Rhodebar female, the male chick would have had a dot on its head and would have been barred. I think most likely is somehow your chicks got mixed up and you have here a BCM pullet and some kind of mixed up cockerel, either a very leaky Marans or a cross.

Mahalo for the mental exercise.
WOW! That is certainly far more complicated than I imagined. I honestly have no clue how it all played out. I'm posting a pic of him when he was little just so you can see for yourself. Glad to know the other seems to be a pullet. I would have cried if I didn't get any pretty egg layers out of the deal. Thanks for the mental exercise. Someday I'll have it better figured out. :) The cockerel from my first photo is the light colored, "Rhodebar looking" chick on the right.

WOW! That is certainly far more complicated than I imagined. I honestly have no clue how it all played out. I'm posting a pic of him when he was little just so you can see for yourself. Glad to know the other seems to be a pullet. I would have cried if I didn't get any pretty egg layers out of the deal. Thanks for the mental exercise. Someday I'll have it better figured out. :) The cockerel from my first photo is the light colored, "Rhodebar looking" chick on the right.
That's not a Rhodebar. It could be a single-barred Rhodebar cross, as I mentioned before. Pure Rhodebars are ALWAYS autosexing, otherwise they aren't a RB. The problem comes in when someone does a cross and isn't honest about it, or uses a single barred cock/erel to breed with not knowing that single barred males are NOT pure Rhodebar. Greenfire Farms really screwed up the breed and it will take a long time to straighten things out from their "production red" crossbreeding.

Pullet

Cockerel

Back
Top Bottom