Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I understand and I would cull him, but I am unsure if I will do that or try medicine. Would medicine get rid of it for good in him.
I actually have 7 roos I could work with of different breeds.
Medicines will only help with clearing up symptoms temporarily. He would still be a carrier and can shed the virus throughout his life and pass it on to other poultry. That is of course still dependent on what he actually has, but that is usually the case.

It might be a good idea to start a thread regarding this in the emergencies, diseases, injuries and cures section so the marans thread doesn't stray too far off topic. Also you may get more help on the subject.

Last edited:
Medicines will only help with clearing up symptoms temporarily. He would still be a carrier and can shed the virus throughout his life and pass it on to other poultry. That is of course still dependent on what he actually has, but that is usually the case.

It might be a good idea to start a thread regarding this in the emergencies, diseases, injuries and cures section so the marans thread doesn't stray too far off topic. Also you may get more help on the subject.
Ok thank you for your help.

Also he walks around and eats and the only thing wrong with him is the fact that he sneezes.

You really won't know what it is without testing.
I would say the new bird sneezing isn't the best sign.
But I believe environmental factors can cause some of these symptoms: DE, dusty coop, sweet pdz, strong ammonia smell from feces, and pesticides.
But it's the new guy, so that's the kicker. The other ones seem fine.
If you are worried, many states have necropsy labs. You may be able to find a local vet to draw blood and have it tested. You wouldn't have to put the bird down to do such a test. Most backyard flocks can have certain testing done for free. Many states offer this

A lot of hobbyists really like the Brinsea products and have good luck with them.  I'm with you though...especially when you can find older workhorses like GQF cabinet models for the same $300 and they will do 200+ eggs.  The non-digital models are reliable as sunrise and if something goes wrong anyone can replace the part.  
I like my brinseas a lot! I think it's because so many years of using the hova bators with the screw temp adjuster. Couldn't stand that thing! So hard to keep the temp right. So I went for the "set it and forget it" now.

I understand and I would cull him, but I am unsure if I will do that or try medicine. Would medicine get rid of it for good in him.
I actually have 7 roos I could work with of different breeds.
There aren't any medication available that are strong enough to be effective at curing an entire flock of the respiratory illness that are common in chickens, so yes if you are trying to treat a flock it is impossible to get rid of the illness unless you depopulate your whole flock and start over. I have heard of success in that past at cleaning up individual birds though that were brought in to agricultural research stations. The blood test that are done for respiratory illnesses only test for a serum that the bird develops to fight the illness. Even if a bird is cured they will continue to test positive if you are using a blood test because they will produce the serum forever to fight off future exposure. You have to do a more expensive CRP swab test to see if you have been effective at treating the bird for respiratory illnesses. State Diagnostic labs may not be able to do the CRP test but if that test comes up negative then you know that you have been effective at cleaning up the bird and it is safe to bring into your flock.

There aren't any medication available that are strong enough to be effective at curing an entire flock of the respiratory illness that are common in chickens, so yes if you are trying to treat a flock it is impossible to get rid of the illness unless you depopulate your whole flock and start over.   I have heard of success in that past at cleaning up individual birds though that were brought in to agricultural research stations. The blood test that are done for respiratory illnesses only test for a serum that the bird develops to fight the illness. Even if a bird is cured they will continue to test positive if you are using a blood test because they will produce the serum forever to fight off future exposure.  You have to do a more expensive CRP swab test to see if you have been effective at treating the bird for respiratory illnesses.  State Diagnostic labs may not be able to do the CRP test but if that test comes up negative then you know that you have been effective at cleaning up the bird and it is safe to bring into your flock.   
I was thinking about getting rid if my current flock and getting a flock of heritage breeds.

something to add to your feed program that will help with respiratory problems is turmeric in with their feed and cinnamon... I stopped having losses beside predation with this little tip

Back
Top Bottom