Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Ok, I think I have found something promising, but I want some opinions before I make another mistake. I have found BCM hatching eggs 1.5 hrs from my house. He sent me the email chain where he bought the original eggs directly from Bev in August of 2012. He says he kept two roosters from the original hatch and has been breeding those to the hens since 2012, and swears there are no crosses from other breeds or lines. The eggs are $25/dozen and close enough to drive and pick up, which is wonderful. I'm just a little gun shy after my last go around. With my limited experience with these birds, the only thing that I see obviously wrong is white tail feathers on the rooster, but I am assuming that's an easier fix than yellow shanks. Opinions?
00e0e_iJZMBgNy6tf_600x450.jpg

Ok, I think I have found something promising, but I want some opinions before I make another mistake. I have found BCM hatching eggs 1.5 hrs from my house. He sent me the email chain where he bought the original eggs directly from Bev in August of 2012. He says he kept two roosters from the original hatch and has been breeding those to the hens since 2012, and swears there are no crosses from other breeds or lines. The eggs are $25/dozen and close enough to drive and pick up, which is wonderful. I'm just a little gun shy after my last go around. With my limited experience with these birds, the only thing that I see obviously wrong is white tail feathers on the rooster, but I am assuming that's an easier fix than yellow shanks. Opinions?

In my experience, it is difficult to breed out the white in the male's tails. Others may have differing opinion on this, but it does seem to breed forward readily. I don't like how much of a halo he has in his hackle freathers. His top line is not bad, I'd like to see a little bit more of a slope to his back. His sickle tail feathers are a bit long, ideally you want a more compact tail on the Marans. He is also a bit short-legged, but I believe this is typical of Bev's line. Personally I prefer a little longer legs. I think you could do worse. My main concern with him would be those white tail feathers. Bev's line is known for laying nice large, dark eggs.

In my experience, it is difficult to breed out the white in the male's tails. Others may have differing opinion on this, but it does seem to breed forward readily.  I don't like how much of a halo he has in his hackle freathers. His top line is not bad, I'd like to see a little bit more of a slope to his back. His sickle tail feathers are a bit long, ideally you want a more compact tail on the Marans. He is also a bit short-legged, but I believe this is typical of Bev's line. Personally I prefer a little longer legs. I think you could do worse. My main concern with him would be those white tail feathers. Bev's line is known for laying nice large, dark eggs.
Thanks for the reply. My number one priority is egg color, but I would like to know I had a proper starting point. I would like to buy local, if I can, but what people are advertising as BCM around here look worse than what I have. I don't want to be that guy. I would tell people not to buy from the breeder I got mine from, and I don't want people to say the same about me

The only way you can fix the white feathers in your breeding program is cull all birds with white feathers and white undercolor. It will take about 3 year with heavy culling. Also notice that this male has white legs . This is telling you that he has a heavy wheaten influence going on. Don

The only way you can fix the white feathers in your breeding program is cull all birds with white feathers and white undercolor. It will take about 3 year with heavy culling. Also notice that this male has white legs . This is telling you that he has a heavy wheaten influence going on.  Don
Thank you! I will keep looking. I thought those legs looked too light. The ones I have that aren't yellow are a lot darker than that.

I keep reading about the Wheaten influence. Is that a trait that is carried over from years ago that is a chance with any breeder, or is it someone recently that has introduced something else into a line?

Back
Top Bottom