Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Hey Don,

I thought of a random question for you related to breeding Marans. I'm used to different strategies when it comes to setting up a breeding program from growing up learning from my dad and etc. I was wondering if you've come across a cock that throws mostly a strong pullet/hen line and sort of so so cockerels? If so, I was wondering what sort of strategies you've used for taking the most advantage of that line? I am used to that with the wyandottes and would adjust strategy from year to year, depending on what aspect of improvements I was going for, but since the Marans can have such wild card factors, I just wondered if you had methods you used?

Vicki, I believe that most breeds are the same when choosing breeder birds. We know if we are looking for good hackle female birds use a male with some Copper in the breast. Never use a small female at all cost as she is what produces size in the off spring. Since you do a lot of single matings it would be easy to pin point the female that does produce what you are working for. Don

Vicki, I believe that most breeds are the same when choosing breeder birds. We know if we are looking for good hackle female birds use a male with some Copper in the breast. Never use a small female at all cost as she is what produces size in the off spring. Since you do a lot of single matings it would be easy to pin point the female that does produce what you are working for. Don
Very good. I kind of thought that's what you might say. I've got no problem on the size of my birds. I've been fortunate enough to start the flock slowly and very selectively hold over only the top 5% for the last 5 years or so. I do still have Gigantor's sister, she's a regular beefcake, but with very little copper in her neck. I'll use her in my blues program since all I have is Big Boy from my avatar, but will still work on tracking down a replacement Black Copper Cock, more than likely thru hatching eggs, so looks like its gonna end up being a blue copper year. Not that I'm complaining, I love any blues since that's what I was taught genetics on.

Gigantor's sister

hen from a totally different line

yet another line

The other girls I have left, I think I have a total of 6 or 7 black copper hens now, all have nice Copper collars. These girls are very sparse in their copper, just small amounts, but they throw nice copper onto their offspring, being bred to either Gigantor or Big Boy. This is why I'm hoping the eggs in the incubator are fertile, that way I can get some Gigantor chicks to work with.

Vicki, You really have some nice female to base your future breeding programs on . These female show a lot of Balance and nice long Back. The width also looks great.

Thanks Don, I'm sure I've said it before, but I'm incredibly picky with what makes it to the breeding program, no matter what breed I'm working on. There is something about the Marans tho that just have captured me, especially when they have nice balance. I'll probably end up doing most of this year's posting over on the blue copper thread, but if I get some nice black coppers from the eggs in the incubator now, I'll post here.

Our first pullet egg from our bcm we hatched from dmrippy. She is 5 1/2 month's old. The blue eggs are from super blue egg layer's from dmrippy. They are the same age . They started laying a month ago.

Our first pullet egg from our bcm we hatched from dmrippy. She is 5 1/2 month's old. The blue eggs are from super blue egg layer's from dmrippy. They are the same age . They started laying a month ago.
How dark is that egg? My egg color took a huge leap this year I am very excited about that. I have a splash that is laying the darkest egg I have ever seen from my marans.

How dark is that egg?  My egg color took a huge leap this year I am very excited about that.  I have a splash that is laying the darkest egg I have ever seen from my marans. 

I don't have a color chart. I need to get one. I hatched one pullet & one cockerel out of three eggs. They really look good to me there copper is really dark. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

I am so excited to have found this thread! I just purchased two 1 year old hens from a breeder that works with Little Peddler. The ladies are from the LP line. I also purchased two others who aren't quite show quality as they have not much copper on them. I couldn't pass them up though! So hard to find around where I'm from! I also found a free BCM rooster in my local area. What do you think of them? I have 8 eggs in now from ebay and 2 of the birds are still fertile from when I got them 2 days ago and laying so I will pop theirs in my other incubator! so excited to own this breed!!!!

Back
Top Bottom